Change cassette on Rail 5

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
Hello ;)
I would like to change my cassette on my Rail 5 , my choice would be for an 12v E-Thirteen Helix Race because the first gears are made of steel and easily replaceable .
Is the 9-50 ( 9/11/13/15/17/20/23/27/31/36/42/50 ) cassette compatible with the Bosch CX programming or do I have to change the engine programming ? A bicycle dealer told me that it could put the engine in error if a cassette does not respect the programming of the original cassette SRAM PG-1210 Eagle 11-50 … is this true ?

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
Nobody to answer me ? I ask the question more clearly : I want to replace my original cassette with an E-Thirteen Helix Race because it has the advantage of having 9/11/13/15/17/20/23/27/31/36 steel gears and easily replaceable. I asked a bicycle dealer who told me that pinion 9 could distort the programming of the Bosch motor ... is that true ? And I also replace the original chain with a reinforced KMC , should we modify the chain length or keep the original length ?

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
Nobody to answer me ? I ask the question more clearly : I want to replace my original cassette with an E-Thirteen Helix Race because it has the advantage of having 9/11/13/15/17/20/23/27/31/36 steel gears and easily replaceable. I asked a bicycle dealer who told me that gear 9 could distort the programming of the Bosch motor ... is that true ? And I also replace the original chain with a reinforced KMC , should we modify the chain length or keep the original length ?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Nobody to answer me ? I ask the question more clearly : I want to replace my original cassette with an E-Thirteen Helix Race because it has the advantage of having 9/11/13/15/17/20/23/27/31/36 steel gears and easily replaceable. I asked a bicycle dealer who told me that pinion 9 could distort the programming of the Bosch motor ... is that true ? And I also replace the original chain with a reinforced KMC , should we modify the chain length or keep the original length ?
I’d ask the same dealer why it would distort anything…the speed sensor on the rail is attached to the rear disc, the cassette has nothing to do with it as I understand it. I changed to a mullet set up which has a slight disconnect with bike speed, which I think means I lose assistance quicker than before. It can be changed by a Bosch dealer. However this has nothing to do with cassette

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
Thank you so much guys !
The problem is that you can hear anything and everything at bicycle dealers … I also heard that if we do not respect the original tire sizes , it is the same problem 🤔. I will probably install the electric Sram GX and I would like the ideal cassette with the GX , and don't want to make mistakes ; is why your advice is precious to me 😉… if you know from experience another tape than the Helix Race , I am listening .
My rear wheel : Mavic XA Elite Carbon 29” 12x148 Boost ID360 with Michelin E-Wide 29x2.6

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I would personally go for a cassette with the range that’s cheapest to replace. I’m running the standard SX cassette, the range is perfect if not a little more than is needed. Given the ridiculous cost of a replacement 12 speed cassettes I’ll plump for the best value option. Also understanding that the cheapest may not be the best as it may only last half as long

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
I would personally go for a cassette with the range that’s cheapest to replace. I’m running the standard SX cassette, the range is perfect if not a little more than is needed. Given the ridiculous cost of a replacement 12 speed cassettes I’ll plump for the best value option. Also understanding that the cheapest may not be the best as it may only last half as long

it's a good reason to test the Helix cassette, the gears are easily replaceable without changing the complete cassette ...
what do you think ? Or the 12V E-Thirteen TRS cassette (9-10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-33-39- 46 ) is interesting: the 9/50 is also available .

Last edited:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
My friend ran an e13 cassette for several year so. His manual bike. I would happily run one, but if I remember correctly they are quite expensive. Not sure you’d need the 9t, that’s a very small cog so would wear quickly, but given ebikes are limited assistance to around 16mph (well they are here in the U.K.) pushing a 50lb bike over the assistance limit in that small cog would not be an enviable task.
Also the replacement cog sections look expensive, in fact more than a complete SX cassette…so I’m struggling to see the benefit

Raph-1970

Dec 1, 2021
Belgium
My friend ran an e13 cassette for several year so. His manual bike. I would happily run one, but if I remember correctly they are quite expensive. Not sure you’d need the 9t, that’s a very small cog so would wear quickly, but given ebikes are limited assistance to around 16mph (well they are here in the U.K.) pushing a 50lb bike over the assistance limit in that small cog would not be an enviable task.
Also the replacement cog sections look expensive, in fact more than a complete SX cassette…so I’m struggling to see the benefit

Ok , thanks for your advice 😉

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles