Chain and Cassette Advice Please

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
Trek Rail 5

I noticed the other day that shifting was a bit suspect in a couple of the middle gears. Nothing insane just a niggle now and again.

Upon inspection this morning I noticed a bent tooth on one of the cogs. I checked my chain wear while I was there and it's above .75.

This is an NX cassette with a GX chain.

I regularly lube the chain with Muc Off Dry Lube at the moment and keep the bike in good nic.

A couple of questions. Shall I just run this chain and cassette into the ground then change both at the same time or shall I just change the chain and see how it goes.

I've done 670 miles on this. I have no idea if this is average or low for a chain and cassette swap.

Thanks.

IMG_20200529_095354.jpg

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
If you run both into the ground you are likely to need a new chain ring as well. Lots of chain advice, see the threads below, but my preference is a SRAM X1. NX is too short and a long GX is hardly cheaper. 670 miles seems ok for a new eMTB rider. I got 850km from the KMC that was on the bike, and 1350km from an X1.

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
If you run both into the ground you are likely to need a new chain ring as well. Lots of chain advice, see the threads below, but my preference is a SRAM X1. NX is too short and a long GX is hardly cheaper. 670 miles seems ok for a new eMTB rider. I got 850km from the KMC that was on the bike, and 1350km from an X1.
Thanks for the information.

I'll pick a new chain and cassette up. God knows how the tooth got bent. Possibly something stuck in it at one point.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
A pleasure. I've no experience on these cassettes, mine is still good, but chatting to my LBS some time ago they reckoned a Shimano SLX would be a good replacement for the NX, and there were some good offers on them a few months ago.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That's a clear photo. I could see no burrs on the sides of the teeth, so it is probably still got loads of life in it. Therefore, remove the cassette, dismantle it and then straighten the tooth. Replace cassette, fit new chain, then go ride! :)

themonkster

Sep 27, 2019
Manchester
That's a clear photo. I could see no burrs on the sides of the teeth, so it is probably still got loads of life in it. Therefore, remove the cassette, dismantle it and then straighten the tooth. Replace cassette, fit new chain, then go ride! :)
Sounds like a plan to me. Chains on order. I'll take the cassette off and straighten it. Stick new chain on and see how it goes. Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles