Shimano/Maddison...... Really

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
So I spend £4500on a Focus Jam2, which in itself is great, fancied a Di2 rear mech after reading positive reviews, and thought it would go nicely with my E8000..WRONG!!!!!
Tried to install myself, shifter makes the display go blank when connected, After hours of searching online etc for help, I give in and visit my local Authorised Shimano dealer who has the required interface to update new firmware onto my shifter, all he has to do is ring Maddison. He speaks to Madison and apparently a code is needed from them, but they won't release this code as I bought the bike from another shop. Whaaaat!!!!!
So am told to Take my bike to the shop where I originally bought it, despite the First shop i visited being an authorised dealer...... Problem is,the original shop is not local.
Come on Maddison,get your act together , what a complete pain..

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
BS from Madison - Shimano can provide any code required anyways to any authorized dealer.
Not really sure who to believe... My lbs is great, really helpful, but they admit all this bike wizardry is new to them..

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Tried to install myself, shifter makes the display go blank when connected, After hours of searching online etc for help, I give in and visit my local Authorised Shimano dealer who has the required interface to update new firmware onto my shifter, all he has to do is ring Maddison.

No idea if this will work, but what happens if you use e-tube to connect to your bike ? (Bluetooth) Even if the display blanks out, it might still scan the "network" (everything plugged into the bike) and allow you to do updates to firmware ?

If you've not used e-tube before to do updates, then maybe try it first without the di2 shifter connected so you can make sure it connects to the bike correctly.

Alternatively, I'm not sure what happens if you connect with e-tube (without the shifter connected) Then plug additional items into the system, if it re-scans for devices and then you'd be able to update the firmwares ?

Don't have an e8000 anymore so can't test it here. :-(

I remember it was pretty easy with etube to update the e8000 more selector firmware, e7000 more selector firmware (when I changed to that) and so on.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I believe on previous instances of this the Shimano response has been that only the manafcutrer of the bike can change the code, as it is set by them according to the bike spec, so if any LBS can do it then that is some improvement - of course it really should be something the user can do through the app.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Why not just ring up the place you bought the bike from and get them to contact Madison and do the job. That is what they get paid to do when they sell a bike, it's called "service".

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Why not just ring up the place you bought the bike from and get them to contact Madison and do the job. That is what they get paid to do when they sell a bike, it's called "service".
The bike has to be connected to a laptop with the Shimano interface at the shop, they then call Derby cycles(Focus importer) who talk to Shimano who then release a "code".

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The bike has to be connected to a laptop with the Shimano interface at the shop, they then call Derby cycles(Focus importer) who talk to Shimano who then release a "code".

I thought they only needed a code with the shop app if they wanted to change regions/speed limits.

Did you try the e-tube app to just do it yourself ?

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
I thought they only needed a code with the shop app if they wanted to change regions/speed limits.

Did you try the e-tube app to just do it yourself ?
Yes tried etube and steps unlocker, the screen just went blank when new shifter was connected..
Bike is now back at the shop........ A right pain... Should have stuck with non di2!!!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Stunlocker will only let you change the system between di2 support and Mechanical. You can do this before you install the di2 as it will detect that di2 isn't connected and default to mechanical. You can't use stunlocker to update firmware though, so it won't help with your problem.

I was curious if etube would let you connect either with the new switch connected or not connected and then plug it in once you had an e-tube connection and if it would re-scan for devices when you refreshed the devices screen. In theory it shouldn't matter that the e8000 display blanks, you're connected to the computer in the motor, which all the "devices" are networked to. So should, in theory, be able to update the firmware in the connected devices.

It might even be possible to unplug the display cable from under the motor housing, plug in the new switch to where you unplugged that, power on and connect to e-tube, update the switch firmware. Power off, put everything back and viola.

Maybe .. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles