Are pedal MTBs better at really rocky terrain?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. A summer season in morzine with your bike would undoubtably improve your descending skills too but the beauty of bikes is you don't even need mountains to improve. TBH you don't need anything but a bike and the will to "ride" it. it doesn't even have to be a good bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Get out with that grandson of yours more and re-live your childhhood on your bike "properly" ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Get out with that grandson of yours more and re-live your childhhood on your bike "properly" ;)
He is doing it on my behalf! :)
Pre-Covid I rode with him every week during the school hols, often twice/week. During school time less often, particularly since he started senior school and took up rugby. We've been to BPW and Nant Yr Arian a couple of times each, and Cannock loads of times in addition to the more usual places. A bike has been a part of his life for so long that although he still loves biking rugby is new and exciting. The whole team sport thing has captured him, especially as he is good at that as well. :)
I have never forced him to do anything on a bike. On the contrary, I have to prevent myself sometimes from slowing him down. The last thing I want to do is to take him home broken. Scratches, scrapes, bruises etc are par for the course, but broken bones and I'd be up shit creek without a paddle.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Your Schools are open? :eek:

I was talking about pissing about riding anything and everything on your doorstep not planned "cycling" trips to purpose built mtb trails.
Seems there's little hope for saving you from your decline. :oops:
Oh... well as long as you're still enjoying "cycling" ;)

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
from everything I've read you say on here. It sounds very much like you're still in the mindset (god I hate that word) you were in as a kid. and still cycling your bike places rather than riding the bike.
what I mean by this is there are some riders who I'd call "cyclists" and some I'd call "riders". The "cyclist" rides a bike primarily for fitness/wellbeing/transport and to go/get places and complete loops etc. Whereas for a "rider" it's primarily because they love handling a bike. Give the first a bike and they will pedal it (usually seated). Give the second a bike and they'll instantly stand, roll, balance, weight and control that bike feeling it out for it's handling traits and the first thing they'll probably do is pop a wheel, hop or corner it.
Both would probably consider riding a bike to be fun. But the "rider" sees fun at a whole different level.
I put myself in the second camp my whole life. I physically can't get on a bike and not pop the front wheel, trackstand or pre-load the tyres. Even my roadbilkes or some old ladies commuter bike I've just serviced and need to test ride.
Recreational cyclists also tend to "dress the part" for every ride. Whereas I rarely wear cycling clothing at all but generally ride a bike a lot more than most recreational cyclists.
all the guys you watch in mtb videos that you're in awe of their skills are "riders"

Forget skills courses. They don't turn anyone into a rider. But you can become a rider fairly easily by just grabbing a bike and just pissing about on it. Do it enough and I assure you you'll continue to progress and improve rather than plateau.

you are really full of it :) you can't reply without being distasteful... I doubt you dare play this attitude in real life. Just saying.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Gary I do take your point about being a "cyclist" and not a "rider", although my arse does not stay planted on the saddle. :) And yes I am still enjoying my "cycling".

I am definitely a lost cause according to your thinking, but my grandson is definitely a "rider". If he had been blessed with good terrain on his doorstep and a father that had any interest in MTB, then maybe we all would have heard the name of my grandson by now. Early on, I felt that I might be holding him back so I paid for one-on-one skills courses, two years apart. Unprompted, both instructors said he was the best for his age that they had ever come across. Sadly they spent more time checking him out than teaching him stuff that he couldn't already do. I won't make that mistake next time. Then he got diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1, and that slowed him down a bit while he and everyone else in the family adjusted to it. His momentum just went, his fitness went through the floor and his weight ballooned. But he seems to be back in the game now. Once this sodding pandemic is behind us it will be interesting to see how quickly he gets back up to speed.

You will be pleased to know that he is out on his bike every day just pissing about. :love:

Sometimes he takes his younger sister with him, as she needs the exercise too. She has Type 1 Diabetes as well!! (What a bugger!) She is not even what I would call a "cyclist". She gets on a bike because it is there and rides it for fear of missing out. She shows no signs of actually enjoying it. :( How can two siblings be so different? :unsure:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Friction labs chalk and 5:10 stealth c4. Everything else is basically lube...
1613754365275.png

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
you are really full of it :) you can't reply without being distasteful... I doubt you dare play this attitude in real life. Just saying.
You're wrong manuelo. I'd say exactly the same to Steve in real life and wouldn't really care if some random was listening and happened to find it "distasteful". It's the random's issue if he can't cope with a bit if honesty . Not mine.
What in particular have I said that you are finding so distasteful you feel the need to make complaint on Steve's behalf?

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
You're wrong manuelo. I'd say exactly the same to Steve in real life and wouldn't really care if some random was listening and happened to find it "distasteful". It's the random's issue if he can't cope with a bit if honesty . Not mine.
What in particular have I said that you are finding so distasteful you feel the need to make complaint on Steve's behalf?
Well in real life, I would call it also... commenting on the fact there are way to communicate positively... and if I see that the "guy" is a social case I would just skip him. In this case I am obliged to read you so I write you socially. I like honesty and friendship, Acidity is just strange in a forum. Unless you like to make people deal with it :) So don't be surprised.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Mate. You're not from the same country or culture as me. You don't know how I talk at all in real life. Which is pretty much exactly the same but with slightly more swear words (used non aggressively) Its clear to me from your interpretation of how I've replied to another member that I have had many discussions with is way off. There is no "acidity" in anything Ive said here and what I have said has actually been fairly balanced. Not negative. So why go out of your way to make some sort of drama out of it?
You still haven't actually said what it is you're upset about. So please just be a dear and move on.
You're not actually "obliged" to read any of my comments or replies.
And you also have the option through the forum software to ignore them entirely.
Chill out and enjoy the rest of your evening.

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Mate. You're not from the same country or culture as me. You don't know how I talk at all in real life. Which is pretty much exactly the same but with slightly more swear words (used non aggressively) Its clear to me from your interpretation of how I've replied to another member that I have had many discussions with is way off. There is no "acidity" in anything Ive said here and what I have said has actually been fairly balanced. Not negative. So why go out of your way to make some sort of drama out of it?
You still haven't actually said what it is you're upset about. So please just be a dear and move on.
You're not actually "obliged" to read any of my comments or replies.
And you also have the option through the forum software to ignore them entirely.
Chill out and enjoy the rest of your evening.
I told you If I see a social case I skip it. If you do not realise what you write that is your issue. You are right we are not from the same culture. I swear non aggressively too :) It is not a drama for me to call you out. I mean, it can be good to realise that some people don't appreciate to read you. You can move on with your life, as you say. To stay positive, sometime it is good to listen to feedbacks. Just saying...

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Other than a bizarre desire to try and discipline and negatively critique my replies you don't actually have anything of value to contribute to the thread do you Manuelo?
So yeah. Do please skip the "socials" it's certainly not your forte.

Last edited:

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
Other than a bizarre desire to try and discipline and negatively critique my replies you don't actually have anything of value to contribute to the thread do you Manuelo?
So yeah. Do please skip the "socials" it's certainly not your forte.
Well, I was reading the thread until your message... the only "negativity" is the one you generate. It is just a feedback take it positively. Question yourself.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Pics or it didn`t happen . ?
Dude. I'm old skool and of the opinion ones entire life does not need documented in picture form.
There's no bike I'd be ashamed to ride. I'd rather ride an old ladies commuter than not ride a bike at all. ?

ChuckK

Mar 15, 2020
Golden, CO
"I'm ... a beginner mountain biker." Welcome to Boulder, Colorado and its surrounding area where there are many young, fit, highly experienced mountain bikers. She probably has had a lot of experience on steep, rocky Front Range trails and likely has even done Hall Ranch before. You'll quickly get better the more you ride. Sometimes it will take several tries to clear a section. I find that rock gardens are easier on an e-mtb because you can maintain power and momentum. The only time I find my regular, lighter mountain bike easier in a rock garden is if the route through requires many tight turns. By the way, most mtb trails in Boulder County do not allow e-mountain bikes. That includes Hall Ranch, unless something recently changed. (On the other hand, all the trails in nearby Jefferson County Open Space allow Class 1 e-bikes. Centennial Cone is a good one for e-bikes.) For the Boulder County list of trails that do and do not allow e-bikes, see E-bikes on Open Space - Boulder County

HikerDave

Feb 9, 2019
Tempe
I am in Hall Ranch, near Lyons Colorado and I saw some one there the other day literally destroy the rock Garden on a pedal mountain bike. She literally Was just climbing up that shit like nothing.

Me on the other hand, I had to get off the mountain bike and use the walk assist mode for most of the rocky portion. I am by no means a weak rider, I'm actually a really strong rider (but a beginner mountain biker) And I wonder if my inability to go through that rocky portion has something to do with the heavier electric mountain bike versus a really light pedal bike, or if its just my beginner mountain biking skills.

something i noticed was that I couldnt even get up some of those rocks because the pedals would have hit the rock. and then I started wondering if she was bunny hopping over those rocks to avoid the pedals? she was going over it like a monster truck.

Do pedal MTBs have higher clearance?

I got a chance to ask how she was doing that and she said "Well your bike is way heavier than mine. Try using your hips more".

and thats all she said.

There are a couple of tricky and steep rocky trail sections that I haven’t made with my eBike that I could almost always clean on my previous trail bike. I think that it’s a combination of bike weight and geometry.

Also some people just have incredible skills; I saw a local Phoenix rider “Gabe” (the guy who always sings on the trail) ride up the South Mountain National trail’s “waterfall” feature like it was nothing; something I would never even try. I’ve also seen a couple of women take what they described as “the girls line” down which was much more difficult. I always walked that section both directions.

manueloFRCR

Dec 29, 2020
Czech Republic
@Gary I do take your point about being a "cyclist" and not a "rider", although my arse does not stay planted on the saddle. :) And yes I am still enjoying my "cycling".

I am definitely a lost cause according to your thinking, but my grandson is definitely a "rider". If he had been blessed with good terrain on his doorstep and a father that had any interest in MTB, then maybe we all would have heard the name of my grandson by now. Early on, I felt that I might be holding him back so I paid for one-on-one skills courses, two years apart. Unprompted, both instructors said he was the best for his age that they had ever come across. Sadly they spent more time checking him out than teaching him stuff that he couldn't already do. I won't make that mistake next time. Then he got diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1, and that slowed him down a bit while he and everyone else in the family adjusted to it. His momentum just went, his fitness went through the floor and his weight ballooned. But he seems to be back in the game now. Once this sodding pandemic is behind us it will be interesting to see how quickly he gets back up to speed.

You will be pleased to know that he is out on his bike every day just pissing about. :love:

Sometimes he takes his younger sister with him, as she needs the exercise too. She has Type 1 Diabetes as well!! (What a bugger!) She is not even what I would call a "cyclist". She gets on a bike because it is there and rides it for fear of missing out. She shows no signs of actually enjoying it. :( How can two siblings be so different? :unsure:

I say whatever we do (cyclists or riders) being out there riding our bikes, enjoying life with friends seeing beautiful countryside or muddy nightmares, being in the nature, challenging ourselves and having fun is what is important.
R120 answered the best to the question. I will add repetition also. Technique and repetition are key. Repetition without technique is boring because we repeat and repeat the same mistakes (my case) But to investigate and find the good techniques and repeat it is the key to progress.

The tricky question become how to learn the good techniques?

Technique is king, doesn't matter what you steed is, or indeed how fit you are within reason.

+1

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Break down to small drills that focus on one skill: balance, traction, popping a front or rear whell, etc at a time.
Do it on a controled environment, so that a mistake is not going to hurt so bad, until self confidence is built and doing the trick becomes a tool to safety instead of a menace.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Diabetes must be shit. Glad to hear it's not stopping them doing the things they love.
Yep it is. But apart from an early blip while everyone came to terms with it all (I confess that I wept buckets!) they very quickly got on with life.

They both have Type 1 which is not caused by lifestyle choices (weight, diet, sloth), is not inherited and currently is not curable, although it is treatable provided the patient is sensible. It is also currently life restricting and in the long term life shortening. It is a serious medical condition that used to be fatal. The medics don't even know whether it is something you can catch (or how), it appears to be chance.

Despite Type 1 not being inherited, my two grandkids got it; the younger sister first and then eight months later her two-year older brother. One day the pancreas (produces the insulin) just decides to stop working. That can either be totally in one go, or stepping down in stages. His sister got the first one and nearly died. He got the latter and because we all knew what was going on by then, we recognised the symptoms. They were "lucky" that they were old enough to deal with it and take an interest in the treatment program, but not yet at that difficult post-puberty stage where many kids just cannot cope with it emotionally and fail to behave in their own best interests. It won't go away if you ignore it.

The Diabetes consultant is fascinated by the two siblings factor. All sorts of test have been done to try and find genetic links, but so far none have been found. It appears to be just bad luck. The kid's parents are both bright and articulate and cooperate fully with the Diabetes consultant and his staff. The kids are bright and cooperative too. When they get new kit they read the instruction manuals and practice with the kit before going into hospital for the tutorials. They support each other. My daughter tells me that most of the other kids and their families never even open the box before they attend the tutorial. When a consultant gets some new state of the art kit to use, guess who he gives it to? The bright kids that he knows will use it properly, supported by parents who will help them to do so and give great feedback, supported by data not just anecdotes? OR the kids that can't be arsed because they deeply resent the fact that they have Diabetes ("its not fair!") and unsupported by idle or feckless parents ("what am I supposed to do, this is hard isn't it, who do we claim from")? Yes, its tough on them but when there is a limited amount of the latest generation kit, what would you do? Everyone gets treated and given the kit they need, but some do better out of it than others. That's life.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles