Shimano ep8 motor wont charge or give power to the motor. Brand new , 0 rides bike

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
To say I am gutted , disappointed and pist right off is a understatement.
Waiting months for my 2021 meta power, turns up few days ago, build it up. Happy days.
I then went to put it on charge for the first time this evening ready for the first ride tommorow only to find out that it wont charge and wont give power to the motor.
It will switch on though.
Checked, double checked everything, and after about 50 trys of putting it on charge it randomly worked. I then unplugged and tried again but no joy...
I tried a friends battery in the bike which is fully charged but it wont give power to the motor either. Also tried his charger which made no difference.
Literally brand new out of the box and it doesnt work.
Unreal.
Clearly the bike wasn't checked before being shipped.
Anyone have any ideas what it could be ?
I have emailed commencal so wait to see how they plan to rectify this.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I would start with the easiest thing, you've probably already checked it but it doesn't hurt to check for sure. The connector under the plastic cover on the motor I think on the left side of the bike... it should click in with a solid CLICK. There was another guy on here I believe that was having issues related to that not being all the way plugged in.

It comes disconnected from the factory, or at least mine was. My screen would come on but nothing else until I checked that connector.

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Yes, it was unplugged when the bike arrived and the cover was wrapped in a bag. I clicked this into place. I have unplugged it and re plugged it a few times checking it but all seems good.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Sounds like the battery is not connected to the motor.

Check all connectors and wiring, does your battery work in your friends bike and does it show as being fully charged?
Have you uploaded the Shimano E-tube app and will that connect to the bike? lf so is it offering any software updates?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Does the charger light do anything? How about the power switch light or the display, when you plug the charger in. A solid light means charging. A flashing light means something like moisture in the connector port or charger plug or a fault in the system. Occasionally I need to blow out the port or use a hair dryer before the light will come on. If there is no light on the charger it indicates the battery is fully charged or there is no connection.

If the bike won't turn on but the battery is charged, it's almost certainly the secondary battery in the switch needing charge. Common on new bikes. Remove the little rubber bung below the water bottle mounts and push a 4-5mm allen key in to turn on the main battery directly (do NOT use something pointy). If the bike starts, take it for a ride and the problem shouldn't happen again unless you let the bike sit in storage for a while.

Also check all connections at the display etc...

Gordon

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Sounds like the battery is not connected to the motor.

Check all connectors and wiring, does your battery work in your friends bike and does it show as being fully charged?
Have you uploaded the Shimano E-tube app and will that connect to the bike? lf so is it offering any software updates?
Yeah, that's what we are thinking.
Faulty harness maybe?
All plugs are clean and fitted correctly.
Haven't tried my battery in his bike, it is basically flat.

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Does the charger light do anything? How about the power switch light or the display, when you plug the charger in. A solid light means charging. A flashing light means something like moisture in the connector port or charger plug or a fault in the system. Occasionally I need to blow out the port or use a hair dryer before the light will come on. If there is no light on the charger it indicates the battery is fully charged or there is no connection.

If the bike won't turn on but the battery is charged, it's almost certainly the secondary battery in the switch needing charge. Common on new bikes. Remove the little rubber bung below the water bottle mounts and push a 4-5mm allen key in to turn on the main battery directly (do NOT use something pointy). If the bike starts, take it for a ride and the problem shouldn't happen again unless you let the bike sit in storage for a while.

Also check all connections at the display etc...

Gordon
Tried all that, although I haven't rode it.
Bike switches on fine, it just wont charge or power the motor.. even my friends battery wouldnt charge or power the motor on the bike.

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Was funny how after about 50 attempts it randomly began to charge, then I unplugged and tried again but nothing....
Dodgey cable up inside ?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Sadly it sounds like you got a dud. ls
it easy to get it to a bike store? l
imagine that repair is fairly straightforward for the dealer.
Obviously it will be under warranty, but what a stinker, l feel for you.

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Its annoying because its brand new out of the box, months if waiting.
Couldn't of been tested.
See what commencal say I guess

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Update.
I fixed my bike.
The charging port was sat to far down in the frame and wasnt letting the charger to seat all the way in.
Very minimal.
I raised it about 1mm using 2 o rings.
Sorted.
Brand new bike though....
Before and after pics 20210614_190131.jpg 20210614_184841.jpg

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Great work! That's the same charge port as my Kona has.
Now charge it up and get out for a celebratory ride, come back on here and let us know what you think of it.
l absolutely love my Kona E160

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
Thanks for posting the solution. Will definitely watch out for that when I get mine - meant to be end of next month.

Laner2t

Jun 27, 2020
Fod
Yes, commencal have taken the serial number of the frame.
I can't see me being the only 1 with this. Simple fix but not great quality control really is it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles