Commencal MetaPower - EP8 motor issues

RocratRacing

Aug 25, 2020
Friendcamwinch7@
This is a sprag clutch/bearing issue . It seems like it could be heat related ,slipping when hot indicates an issue with incorrect machining tolerances. The sprag only needs a very small tolerance not to work . The crank spindle is a smooth shaft that rotates inside the sprag and if the clearance between the spindle and needle rollers of the sprag are just to much ,it won’t allow the needle rollers to torque in and grab the spindle .
‘if I can make a suggestion , ride the bike till it free wheels , stop without pedaling again and park it till the motor cools , possibly 1/2 hr . Try again to ride once motor is cool , if it rides normal again without freewheeling , it is sprag clearance .
Sprag clutches are used in many things including golf carts ,chainsaws fishing reels etc and usually if it freespools it is either a cracked sprag bearing race ,machining tolerance or sticky needle rollers .

If i where you I would insist on Commencal US change out the motor and chat with Shimano on their own time . It is so typical this pass the blame in the cycling industry while the end user gets the dirty end of the stick .

I sold it to my father, so I could still ride it if I really wanted. This bike is better in every way... when it’s working.

worst case, I also own an enduro and ktm 250xc if the warranty takes forever, so have plenty of other toys to keep me busy on the weekends.
Just curious, why is the Decoy worse than the Commencal? I thought it was a solid and fun bike (haven't tested)?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You can clearly see the problem :

View attachment 47954

None of the gears or parts touch each other ! ;)

@Bearing Man any thoughts .. this could be our first EP8 failure ...

Some zoomed images ..

View attachment 47955
View attachment 47956
View attachment 47957
View attachment 47958

I can confirm that the twisty component shown below is widely available in assorted colours.

I’ve eaten through a lot of them recently.

F0D3BD23-BF30-4D0B-B643-B89BC772361A.png

0789C76E-2FF6-4EC4-AB0C-15BD0750A220.jpeg

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Just curious, why is the Decoy worse than the Commencal? I thought it was a solid and fun bike (haven't tested)?
My decoy was an XL and slightly too big for my liking. Stock it only came with 140/150mm travel. The rear is really long and makes it turn like a boat. Yt suspension design was worse and bobbed/bounced when climbing seated.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Update: Shimano approved the warranty claim and said they should be shipping out a new motor within 7-10 days.

Don’t like that this happened in the first place, but seems like both Commencal and Shimano corrected the problem as soon as possible given the holidays and heavy back orders on everything.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Update: Shimano approved the warranty claim and said they should be shipping out a new motor within 7-10 days.

Don’t like that this happened in the first place, but seems like both Commencal and Shimano corrected the problem as soon as possible given the holidays and heavy back orders on everything.
Is this karma for selling a bike that turned like a boat to your dad? ?

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
It’s still one of the best ebikes for the value, and it gets him pedaling outside way more frequently than his normal bike ever did.
I know I own one!!:) just giving you sh%t for selling your bike to your dad.. not sure if you have kids yet.. but they cost a lot!!:)

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
Still getting a speed limit issue at 18.5 mph when returning from rides. 20mph when starting out. wtf?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Did you send old one back ?
It’s still in the bike, haven’t had a chance to swap yet. I’m supposed to send it back, but part of me wants to pull it apart and see if I can tell what went wrong. It has worked fine the last few rides which is strange.

TEE

Feb 21, 2021
Germany
As a mechanik id like to know if you have fixed the problem.

Also i please you to send your motor in if the issue still exists because that might be something related to other motors aswell and as soon as shimano gets that motor to identify the issue the better. So please in the name of all people who will buy that motor and might have already bought one. Please send it in and dont open the motor on your own, you wont be able to fix it anyway so....

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
What? You need to replace that motor by your self? Commencial should really consider their warranty service, since they sold the bike so they are responsible for the all the parts included in the bike. Shouldn't be the customers responsibility.

Also without proper diagnostic tools, you can't configure bike specific settings to your motor (ie. wheel size).

Compared this to my Canyon EP8 motor warranty swap:

- Delivered my bike to local canyon service partner
- The service handled everything from diagnose, shimano warranty, new motor order and install
- Took about 7 business day to complete.

Aug 25, 2018
Randa, Switzerland
What? You need to replace that motor by your self? Commencial should really consider their warranty service, since they sold the bike so they are responsible for the all the parts included in the bike. Shouldn't be the customers responsibility.

Also without proper diagnostic tools, you can't configure bike specific settings to your motor (ie. wheel size).

- The service handled everything from diagnose, shimano warranty, new motor order and install

@eMullet
Hello, Can you tell us what was the problem with your EP8 motor on your Canyon bike?

eMullet

Mar 28, 2021
Planet Earth
@eMullet
Hello, Can you tell us what was the problem with your EP8 motor on your Canyon bike?

The bike showed fault code E01020 from the e-tube app in the middle of the ride and wouldn't clear even if I removed the battery overnight. I don't know what failed on the motor, just received info that it needed to be replaced. The fault code refers to a sensor failure but doesn't say which sensor. It can't be the speed sensor because it has it's own fault code different from mine. There are multiple sensors inside the motor (torque, cadence, acceleration, temperature to name a few) and it could be any of those maybe?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa

I was more than happy to do it myself. I don’t like other people working on my bike, and I also don’t like being without my bike for an extended period of time. Commencal had Shimano ship the motor to my doorstep, and asked nothing in return. I am able to swap the motor in less than an hour with only the tools in my toolbox. Everything works perfectly fine, and I was able to complete this small service item from the comfort of my own home.

And I sold the old motor on pinkbike for $600. Just kidding, lol. I do still have it though.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I was more than happy to do it myself. I don’t like other people working on my bike, and I also don’t like being without my bike for an extended period of time. Commencal had Shimano ship the motor to my doorstep, and asked nothing in return. I am able to swap the motor in less than an hour with only the tools in my toolbox. Everything works perfectly fine, and I was able to complete this small service item from the comfort of my own home.

And I sold the old motor on pinkbike for $600. Just kidding, lol. I do still have it though.
Hopefully you did not get a twin of your motor.

NCeMTB

Dec 24, 2020
Raleigh NC
So here's one - after 1200 miles or so on my MetaPower 27, the EP8 has begun to fail. Above the normal motor whine, I now have a rhythmic noise in time with the motor that is... loud. Something is wrong for sure - sounds like a bearing and is definitely coming from the motor.

Commencal USA (who have been awesome again) have gotten approval for a replacement from Shimano - should be here in a few weeks (hope).

Local bike shops in the area aren't super savvy on high end eMTBs so I'm planning on taking on swap myself. Have the crank removal tool and wire removal tool so what the heck.

Wondering if anyone has any specific tips or insights from doing this already. Watched a YouTube video - didn't look brutal...

Thanks much.

Another One

Feb 28, 2022
London / Wakefield
I can’t believe this is not replaced at a dealer what about the diagnostics, it’s such a shame some of the Shimano stories. The 2 bikes are like for replacement of current are both Shimano but will not take risk due to issues and also the Bosch being really good.

Darkyhs

Oct 25, 2020
Freiburg, Germany
Well - don’t really have “dealers” around here and not sure what diagnostics needed….

So…
You can go to each Shimano Service Centre to check the diagnostics :) I had the Commencal and all my diagnostics have been done at the local Specialized dealer, which is a Shimano Service Centre. They even did a battery test for me when I sold this bike. BTW, I had the 2021 Meta Power Team edition. Great bike, but the motor made me decide it wasn't for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles