Sharing 2023 Orbea Rise M-Team Rear Fender Setup

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Just sharing:

I have my Rise set up with two fenders on the rear:
  • Mudhugger Rear Long fender (MK1)
  • Mucky Nutz MugGuard, Short
I started with the Mudhugger alone. Been using them for years, it does a great job protecting the dropper and my backside, but does nothing for the pivot area and charge port. With the range extender plugged it looks like a sketchy mess when it's muddy. I know the connection is supposed to be waterproof but what about all the crap that gets inside the charge port cover and all around the port? I sprayed it out but still found random bits once it dried...

I added the Mucky Nutz guard to protect all the lower stuff. It worked perfectly, barely a spot of mud in the charger area.

At first I liked that it was long enough to go below the chainstays (many of the others are not) but I realized that, because of the suspension design, this may not be ideal. The seat stay vs chainstay geometry changes as the suspension moves so it puts different stresses on the guard. The guard definitely rubs on the chain stay area. I ran a zip tie around the bottom of the guard and through the space between the BB and rear triangle, thinking it would help hold it away from the tire. This zip tie rotates as the suspension compresses so would certainly eventually wear through the paint (and maybe more!). I will remove zip tie, but the guard will still rub on that area.

I have the Mudhugger rear MK2 on order, which includes the extension to protect this area, but is shorter so it won't rub. The coverage doesn't look to be as good but will have to see how it performs.

PXL_20240114_234419566.jpg PXL_20240114_234430618.jpg PXL_20240114_234439957.jpg PXL_20240114_234455029.jpg

hilbil-E-bikr

Sep 7, 2021
Alabama USA
I’ve been thinking of using the mucky nutz short by itself on the rear, to protect the linkage and charge port. How do you have it facing, long or shorter end forward?

eDirt

Nov 2, 2022
USA
Make sure you tape or ride wrap the places that the mudguard touches the frame, especially where the outside of the guard rubs the inside of the rear triangle frame. I had a similar setup on my Giant Trance using two mugguard longs zip tied together. When I took them off after a season of riding the paint at those contact points had completely worn off. Could have easily been avoided with tape.

Second picture shows the spot I’m talking about, repainted silver with touch up paint.
IMG_1184.jpeg

IMG_0885.jpeg

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Yes, mudhugger includes tape though I think theirs is too thick. I have some thinner stuff that you can see in the photos.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles