Selling as frame only. Viable option?

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
Mods: Feel free to move this if you don't think this an appropriate section to post this in.

Had my full fat emtb for three years and changed quite a lot of parts to suit my taste. Thinking of selling up and getting a lightweight e-bike instead and wondering if there is a market for frame (with controls, cranks etc) only sales? I've put a long dropper on as I'm at the upper range of the frame fit and there's no scope to insert more length and that would limit the market for that particular size. Obviously I could buy a shorter dropper but this means spending more money on something I'm selling. Quite a few of the parts I could use on other bikes, or transfer to a new bike to keep preferences the same.

Anyone else done this or I am better just trying to sell complete?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
You are limiting your market to those who not only are happy to do a build themselves, but also to want your particular bike. Also, how would you evaluate what the selling price was unless you auctioned it on eBay or similar? You may be left with just the frame and bits.

But a full bike is a known quantity, it has an established value (always less than you think) and can be visualised by many more people as to what it is they are buying. They can test ride it immediately and can tell if it is right for them and so forth.

One of the things I have done before selling a bike is to return it to stock, ie remove all the expensive upgrades (that were of interest only to me) and present a stock bike to the market. I doubted that I would get more money for it even if it had all my expensive upgrades. People will look on eBay and see what other bikes are selling for and they won't pay more unless you have a compelling proposition.

Clubby

Oct 3, 2020
Tayside
One of the things I have done before selling a bike is to return it to stock, ie remove all the expensive upgrades (that were of interest only to me) and present a stock bike to the market.

That's part of the problem, some stuff I've used on other bikes and some I've sold. The fork also has a coil conversion kit it in, which is sprung for me and would be over sprung for less "muscular" (ok, ok less fat) riders. The internals are probably worth more than the sale value of the fork and could be adjusted travel wise to go on another of my bikes.
Fully accept this is a dilemma of my own making but I do like to tinker.

Just wondered if there may be other serial tinkerers with loads of spare parts who'd be looking for a frame only.
Oh, and I've no illusions about what things would be worth.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Stick it up for sale on here and see if there is any interest👍
If I was after a bike or spare bike I would definitely consider a frame only, I always seem to end up with loads of spares kicking about.
One issue I would think is how to show the motor and battery are working ok. I would think working a value out might be tricky too, the second hand market is poor at the moment.
What bike is it?

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Advertise with either option? Ie $x complete bike or $y as frame only, willing to negotiate on parts.

Buyer gets to ride the bike and see nothing is wrong , then as they haggle you get the pleasure of removing the bits you like and they get the pleasure of watching the price drop. They also get to watch your mechanical skills and decide at what point the striptease stops.

You could include a price breakdown on the parts you want to keep so everyone goes into the experience with full consent.

I've done this with motorbikes and analogue bikes - it worked well

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
My mate owns a shop in the US, he’ll sell any brand he carries as a frame only. He’s moved more e-bikes as frame only than he’s sold as complete bikes. There’s definitely a market for them, I watch the classifieds on another site a good bit and frame only e-bikes don’t hang around too long.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I bought a Trek Rail to replace my Merida, and I spent an afternoon swapping some bits around to suit my preferences.

I figured the Merida was worth a bit more with some brand new parts on it, and I got to keep the bits I liked (36 Factory forks for example) for my new bike.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I bought a complete bike in 2020, and spent a fortune upgrading all the parts on it. To offset some of the cost, I sold the original parts.

Last month, I bought a new Frame Only, and moved all of my parts from the 2020 bike onto the new frame. I was then left with a 2020 frame only. I asked what it was worth here, and got varying answers from about £800-3500.
I saw someone selling the same complete bike for £2500... so listed it as £2250 or best offer - expecting to have to settle for £1800-1900 if I was lucky.

Lots of offers of £1500-1800 in the first couple of weeks, but I thought I'd hold out... hoping to get nearer the £2k mark.

Woke up on Monday, and someone had paid the £2250 for it without even trying to negotiate! 😎

I think a frame only appeals to the enthusiast only. Someone who is wanting to put their own parts and spend the time building. A complete bike, even with low spec components is more likely to sell to someone who decides they want a 'Specialized Levo" or whatever brand / model and doesn't know much about them. Although a lot of us here want the best spec fork, drivetrain etc, there are a lot of people out there who couldn't care!

I considered buying a cheap set of wheels, second hand fork and building a complete bike to sell mine... but I'm glad I didn't!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles