Frame Only bike build?

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Hi all,
I have a spare EP8 motor and 630h battery, and I would be interested in building up an ebike if possible. It doesn’t need to be a great frame, as I would be building it just for the fun in building a bike, and then selling it assuming I could profit a little. Are there any options out there people have heard of?

Also, if you have built up an ebike from the frame, I’d love to see pictures and experiences. Selecting the exact parts and building up a bike is a ton of fun for me. (Though I’ve never done so with ebikes yet). Now if only I had an unlimited bank account. Lol.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Its not really a thing yet, though some companies will sell a bare frame the majority dont.
You can get the chinese stuff, but would you really want to.

I do think in a few years bare frames will be the norm.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Plenty of Shimano engine based frames available on AliExpress both carbon and Ali. A more known manufacturer such as Dengfu produce a couple of Shimano engined frames. More than a few readers here actually own and have done a lot of mileage on these frames.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Plenty of Shimano engine based frames available on AliExpress both carbon and Ali. A more known manufacturer such as Dengfu produce a couple of Shimano engined frames. More than a few readers here actually own and have done a lot of mileage on these frames.

Maybe you can help me, because I saw zero mountain bike frames designed specifically around the EP8 motor on AliExpress or Dengfu websites. But thanks for the recommendation.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
You can get the chinese stuff, but would you really want to.

I do think in a few years bare frames will be the norm.
That’s actually what I was hoping for. But I’m having a hard time finding a mountain bike frame that is built around the EP8 motor.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Yes i've seen the vid, thanks for posting.
And ?.
photo.jpg

And I've also seen a YT vid on a busted Chinese sus.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
That’s actually what I was hoping for. But I’m having a hard time finding a mountain bike frame that is built around the EP8 motor.
The only ones I've seen by actual proper manufacturers was by Trek for Bosch, but they are about £2k(About $2700)
Possibly a route is to contact a manufacturer direct. Claim something about you having a well out of warranty frame of theirs that's busted and are looking for a replacement, could they accommodate ?
All they can say is no. Maybe worth a go at least.

Jaspy

Jun 9, 2021
Bea Sea Canada
You might be better off selling just the motor if it’s in excellent condition. It would be less time consuming and less hassles especially since you planned on selling the completed bike. Just a thought. 🤔

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
You might be better off selling just the motor if it’s in excellent condition. It would be less time consuming and less hassles especially since you planned on selling the completed bike. Just a thought. 🤔
For me the process of building a bike is enjoyable. And I am constantly buying and selling bike parts to begin with, so no extra hassle.

Also, the motor is brand new still in shimano packaging, so yes, if I am not able to build up a bike I will sell it to someone that needs it since my current bike is no longer EP8 motor.

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
The image you shared is not even remotely comparable to the ebike Rob built up.
If its a Chinese made frame then these others i could list ,including full suspension. But would you accept those, or would it have to be the exact same frame for you to consider cheap Chinese frames are cheap for a reason.
Consider whats at stake. You arent pottling along the road. you are putting the frame into highly stressful conditions. People can end up in wheelchairs or even dead. Why consider that a fair exchange to save some money.
So how much testing in the real world do you think these cheapo frames undergo before they flog them on via alibaba. Do they have a kitemark ? or US equivalent to show theey are safe to use. No they do not.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
So how much of your bike that you are currently riding is made by companies in China or that region ?
And I'll answer that with- Can you compare a major manufacturing of those bikes against those released to alibaba ?. Clearly the testings not there, nor attention to detail. One will be built to specific spec as the major company's requirements, the other with the emphasis of saving money
Honestly, you cannot compare one against the other.

Putting up the broken trek pretty much confirms my point.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
If its a Chinese made frame then these others i could list ,including full suspension. But would you accept those, or would it have to be the exact same frame for you to consider cheap Chinese frames are cheap for a reason.
Consider whats at stake. You arent pottling along the road. you are putting the frame into highly stressful conditions. People can end up in wheelchairs or even dead. Why consider that a fair exchange to save some money.
So how much testing in the real world do you think these cheapo frames undergo before they flog them on via alibaba. Do they have a kitemark ? or US equivalent to show theey are safe to use. No they do not.
Sir, you are derailing my thread with stuff I’m not even concerned about. I’m looking for a pedal assist mountain bike frame that’s compatible with an EP8 drive unit.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
?. Clearly the testings not there, nor attention to detail. One will be built to specific spec as the major company's requirements, the other with the emphasis of saving money
Possibly 20 years ago, but today China and Asia leads the west in mass produced quality engineering. If Chinese manufacture was crap they would have not gotten themselves to the point where the West is totally dependent on them manufacturing goods to be rebadged as for example VW or Audi, just look at the German economies downturn this last year, all because there is a shortage of Asian manufactured components.

The carbon frame companies will make for not only themselves but for a multitude of other companies. The standards will be the same across the board as will the research and testing.

Back to the question, is the EP8 motor not the same mounting bolt pattern as all Shimano motors ?

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I think you're correct Wayne, EP8 should fit an E8000 frame.

I am broadly in agreement, long gone are the days when China was about cheap low quality stuff. They can, of course still do that. Internal standards for China may be different than those needed for export - so I'd expect bigger companies like Dengfu who I think are making OEM for export to build frames to a good standard. Taiwan (let's not go there!) has obviously been a mecca for bike manufacturing for a long time.

rb.

Apr 27, 2020
San Jose, usa
Possibly 20 years ago, but today China and Asia leads the west in mass produced quality engineering. If Chinese manufacture was crap they would have not gotten themselves to the point where the West is totally dependent on them manufacturing goods to be rebadged as for example VW or Audi, just look at the German economies downturn this last year, all because there is a shortage of Asian manufactured components.

The carbon frame companies will make for not only themselves but for a multitude of other companies. The standards will be the same across the board as will the research and testing.

Back to the question, is the EP8 motor not the same mounting bolt pattern as all Shimano motors ?
Correct, but they are different shapes and I am hesitant to buy a 1 size fits all frame, since it was probably designed around the e8000 so not sure how well the fit would be.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi all,
I have a spare EP8 motor and 630h battery, and I would be interested in building up an ebike if possible. It doesn’t need to be a great frame, as I would be building it just for the fun in building a bike, and then selling it assuming I could profit a little. Are there any options out there people have heard of?

Also, if you have built up an ebike from the frame, I’d love to see pictures and experiences. Selecting the exact parts and building up a bike is a ton of fun for me. (Though I’ve never done so with ebikes yet). Now if only I had an unlimited bank account. Lol.
You can get a specialized frame cant remember which one though

Vsoria

Feb 12, 2022
Zaragoza
see if this bike frame is worth it
The problem I had was that I couldn't find the ep8 and the e8000 for sale almost nothing and one on e-bay but only the motor

Battery:Shimano BT-8036/DAFANG
Engine:Shimano DU-EP8
Rear shock size:205*65mm
Front travel:170mm
Rear travel:160mm

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles