Selling an as new ebike ...

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
I bought a brand new Orbea Wild FS M-Team at the end of last year from local bike shop, beautiful bike, orange one, in large, 7k bike. I had an unfortunate tumble on my first ride with an awkward landing resulting in a major shoulder injury, reconstruction surgery etc. Recovery is going to be a long process so rather than having a shiny bike with 12 miles on it sat in my garage gathering dust for a year, the shop offered to put it in their showroom to help me sell it. I’ve had it for sale at £5500 for ages and still no takers, for what to me seems a bargain, especially as it will come with all original owner paperwork etc.

Any suggestions ? I don’t really want to drop the price as it’s already £1500 less than it cost and it’s mint condition !

Jim25

Jan 23, 2020
London
Hi dude,
I think one of the reasons could be finance. All my riding buddies have made the step from acoustic to electric by either using shop finance or credit cards to buy them , not many will have the ability to whack out 6k and those that do will be wanting the security of a brand new shop bought bike.
I don't have any answers for you though unfortunately!
My riding buddies who are selling there bikes are having trouble selling at the £1500 Mark. It's the same for everyone unfortunately

Maxb

Patreon
Nov 29, 2018
South East England
I think the main problem on selling a secondhand ebike is the warranty not being transferred to the new owner I have seen a few bargains which have really tempted me but I talk myself out of it and stick with my current bike with my warranties which I have used 2 motors and a frame

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Blinkie, if you want to drop me a message I can give you some more info re the price, which I have brought down to £5500, and the warranty etc..

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
Another problem could be that a lot of people will be able to discount the 7k bike down, i've seen orbeas with 15% off so thought makes it under 6k.

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I’ve just bought an Orbea and got 15% off with not much haggling, if you do think you’ll ride again put it to one side as you’ll never buy another the same as cheap as you‘ll have to let it go now

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Depressing reading as my injuries are going to keep me away from any MTB for a significant period. I guess I will need to look at any offers folks make me and cut my losses. Useful input, and appreciated.

steveo

Jul 20, 2019
Ka15hy
I think the second hand bike market is really slow the now for normal as well as e bikes. I always been able to sell my bikes pretty easy as i always under price them and take a bit of a hit to do so. I have a orbea arriving soon and was hoping to have my whyte S150 sold before it arrives but really struggling. Hoping that now that spring is round the corner things start to pick up.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Depressing reading as my injuries are going to keep me away from any MTB for a significant period. I guess I will need to look at any offers folks make me and cut my losses. Useful input, and appreciated.
Maybe to throw a bit of sunshine on your problem, if you can afford to keep the bike - my excuse (aka man maths) for buying my EMTB was that I had broken my ankle, and it would be a way of getting me back on a bike quicker and good rehab. I had been off a bike for 6 months at that stage, and couldn't actually ride the bike for a while after getting it.

The irony was I didn't need to make the excuse, as my reason turned out to be sound, as I was able to get back on a bike a lot quicker, and whilst I still count do anything too technical for a while, I was able to go on a lot of longer XC type rides which got my fitness, and bike handling skills back up to scratch without risking my ankle.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
As @R120 says .. you could also come at this from some other angles ..

Lend the bike to @Gary for a day. The motor/bearings will be completely shot and need replacing.

For the next 6 months your mindset will be in a different place, instead of not being able to ride because of your shoulder (how's @Macone , your crash twin, doing by the way, don't you skype recovery techniques ?) instead, you won't be able to ride because your bike's waiting for a new motor.

You've removed all the healing pressure from yourself and deflected it to the bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’ve had it for sale at £5500 for ages and still no takers, for what to me seems a bargain, especially as it will come with all original owner paperwork etc.

Any suggestions ? I don’t really want to drop the price as it’s already £1500 less than it cost and it’s mint condition !
Why are you even considering taking 1500 quid hit on it?
What's changed (other than your current injured state?)
Ask Sprockets if they'd consider (back) dating your reciept for when you're well enough to ride it. (so you'd get the full 2 years warranty starting from that date).
You've basically just demo'd it.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Indeed, but it’s not really second hand....As you say it’s had a demo ride !

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry mate but It's second hand as soon as you take ownership of it. And as with all bikes it's value instantly drops (by a lot more than 20% of RRP)

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
^^^^ unless the physio can perform miracles with my shoulder I may have had one of the most expensive 10 minute bike rides in history... ?

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
It's no differant to buying a used car. You take a 20% hit on the VAT as soon as you walk out the shop door. For that you get warranty etc..

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire
Another point to consider if someone has the finances to pay £5500 for a bike which is a lot 9 times out of 10 they'll probably have the funds to buy a new one . Granted they'll save a bit of money buying yours but in peoples minds i think most people like new. Also did you say you fell off it any damage could that be putting people off if the dealers telling people you took a tumble and are out of action that's why it's up for sale.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles