Secure flexible and reusable straps for your bike on towbar

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
For a number of years I have been using what I believed were called Gorilla Straps to secure my bike when on a tow-bar rack. Not to make it thief proof but to stop the bike from falling off the rack! They have a flexible wire inside a rubber covered outer. They are excellent but don't last long. I always manged to pick up a few at the local open air market, but that stopped several years ago. My straps are disintegrating. I found a local supplier (Leicester, UK) of an American equivalent, called "Gear Tie" by Nite Ize. from www.niteize.co.uk. I ordered Thu am and they were with me a day later, not bad for £2 delivery. They are excellent! These are 32" long, but they do them smaller. Sadly, they only come in Day-Glo Orange.

Bike straps 1.jpg
Bike straps 2.jpg

Bike straps 3.jpg

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
I use these, saved the day a few times and has a slight element of security from thieves
B38568D5-2822-4704-95AE-22F3068933E3.jpeg

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I just use the standard bungies you can buy. I've had mine for 30 years. Still work fine. Clip one end on the rack, go through spokes over the rack/frame mount to avoid it popping off and back down to the rack...

These sorts of things

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I've got straps with a buckle, but I scratched a bike frame once when they strap moved. I say "a" bike frame. It wasn't mine! :eek:

I also have bungee rubbers with plastic covered metal hooks and they don't feel strong enough.

Regular readers will realise that the clamp on my tow-bar rack is not confidence inspiring. The first time used it on an mtb, it let go of the top tube. Luckily I saw it in the mirror before I'd gone too far. The next time I used the rack, I had a Gorilla strap on it that I'd had kicking about the garage for years. That worked a treat until I forgot to use it one day and the whole bike swivelled back onto the road at 40pmh. The grip and bar w ned was rapidly sanded away. No further problems until I forgot to use the strap (yes, again!). Same result. Since then I have it permanently programmed into my brain to fasten the strap before departure. I even check in the mirror before setting off. The bright orange colour helps.

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
I use these on the motorhome and on the bike when it’s inside the car

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I use these on the motorhome and on the bike when it’s inside the car

Great idea, I wish I'd had something like that when I was transporting my sailboard everywhere. I just had to make do with lots of rope!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles