Important Golf Mk7 Towbar Electronics - ParkPilot and Indicator Beeping

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
I recently had a Towbar fitted to my Golf MK7 at Indespension Bolton at a price of £450. This is to use with a Bike Rack.

When I attatch a bike rack to it and use reverse, the ParkPilot thinks there is an obstacle near the car and the warning noise goes off constantly.
Shouldn't the electronics disable the rear parking sensors when a Towbar is attatched ? I have heard that if it was wired correctly, this should be the case.

Additionally, there annoying and very loud beeping noises whenever the car's indicators are being used. I have heard that there should be a visual indicator rather than an audible one.

It is very aggravating to drive this car when the bike rack is attatched with all these audible alerts pointlessly going off.

I made a phone call to Indespension Bolton and told them that I suspect that the wiring or coding has been done wrong due to the above problems. They told me that with this type of car I'm stuck with the audible noises and no way to deal with the ParkPilot issues.

Does anyone know what is causing these problems and have Indespension Bolton just done the job on the cheap and not bothered with the correct vehicle specific coding ? Are Indespension Bolton to blame for this or does the car just not facilitate towbars the way I think it should ?

Last edited:

Mik3F

Sep 23, 2023
Middleton
My BMW does the same when in reverse too

I suspect the reversing sensors are not deactivated by the wiring loom or coding. Min was fitted in Bury by Peter Bowman’s an uses an official Wiring loom o the hook up

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
Golf Mk7 Towbar Electronics - ParkPilot and Indicator Beeping
I recently had a Towbar fitted to my Golf MK7 at Indespension Bolton at a price of £450. This is to use with a Bike Rack.

When I attatch a bike rack to it and use reverse, the ParkPilot thinks there is an obstacle near the car and the warning noise goes off constantly.
Shouldn't the electronics disable the rear parking sensors when a Towbar is attatched ? I have heard that if it was wired correctly, this should be the case.

Additionally, there annoying and very loud beeping noises whenever the car's indicators are being used. I have heard that there should be a visual indicator rather than an audible one.

It is very aggravating to drive this car when the bike rack is attatched with all these audible alerts pointlessly going off.

I made a phone call to Indespension Bolton and told them that I suspect that the wiring or coding has been done wrong due to the above problems. They told me that with this type of car I'm stuck with the audible noises and no way to deal with the ParkPilot issues.

Does anyone know what is causing these problems and have Indespension Bolton just done the job on the cheap and not bothered with the correct vehicle specific coding ? Are Indespension Bolton to blame for this or does the car just not facilitate towbars the way I think it should ?
Yes, sounds like Indespension have just fitted a generic wiring kit for the towbar electrics and haven’t thought about the warnings etc on a park pilot equipped vehicle.

When I had my Golf 7 with a factory fitted towbar, it knew when the bar was in use and switched off the rear parking sensors.

Short of getting a VW dealer to do a factory retrofit, I’m not sure what the solution is.

This thread might offer you a workaround though, even better if you or a mate have access to VCDS?

DS.

Mar 15, 2019
Devon
I have a golf 7.5 and when u put it into reverse it deactivates The rear parking sensors I’m pretty sure when they fitted my electrics they had to run some wiring to the front of the car. I think to the fuse box and then it had to be coded so the car knows when you are towing something

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
In the end I sorted this out by taking the car back to Indespension. They had originally fitted a generic wiring kit for this car, they replaced it with a vehicle specific kit. All the aggravating problems with the Park Pilot and loud indicator beeping have now gone!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles