Scum filmed by onlookers as they steal E-Bike in broad daylight with angle-grinder........

PAC

Feb 7, 2021
Billings, Montana, USA
Don't ever underestimate an angle grinder. In the old west that was a feared weapon. The basis of the Marty Robbins song......."Angle Grinder on His Hip".......

It was early in the morning when he rode into the town
He came riding from the south side slowly lookin' all around
He's an outlaw loose and running, came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with the angle grinder on his hip
Angle grinder on his hip……..

Blah blah blah…….

It was over in a moment and the folks had gathered round
There before them lay the body of the outlaw on the ground
Oh, he might have went on living but he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the ranger with the angle grinder on his hip
Angle grinder on his hip
Angle grinder, angle grinder
When he tried to match the ranger with the angle grinder on his hip
Angle grinder on his hip

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
As long as we are talking about angle grinders I find that the 3M Cubitron II discs are the best out there. Got turned on to them by a friend that had his steel boat in shipyard and that is what the shipwrights used. More expensive than the rest but you get what you pay for.

Oh and another vote for extreme respect for the tool when in use.

PAC

Feb 7, 2021
Billings, Montana, USA
I will second the use of 3M Cubitron. Especially when stealing a Trek. Oh, and forgive Marty's erroneous use of the perfect tense, might have went.........

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
whilst I hate to see anyone have their bike stolen by these low life…. Anyone who leaves an ebike unattended and chained up by a crappy u lock in rotherhithe is either :

a) well insured
B) a complete idiot 😆

Last edited:

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
D87917BF-8518-4AAD-B09F-C1E53E76FB8E.jpeg

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
whilst I hate to see anyone have their bike stolen by these low life…. Anyone who leaves an ebike unattended and chained up by a crappy u lock in rotherhithe is either :

a) well insured
B) a complete idiot 😆

What about the guy who parks his fleet in the same shed as his grinders / bolt cutters / knife:mad:

I could possibly park them in my wifes shed, but she has sewing needles- are they a scary weapon?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
What about the guy who parks his fleet in the same shed as his grinders / bolt cutters / knife:mad:

I could possibly park them in my wifes shed, but she has sewing needles- are they a scary weapon?

fella, what you on about? Did I mention anything on the great ‘angle grinders are a good weapon’ debate? No. Because quite frankly it’s just an internet keyboard hero pissing competition…

I’m guessing you don’t have great local knowledge of London and its particular boroughs? Because I wouldn’t leave my ebike unattended locked or not anywhere. Definitely not anywhere in London. And certainly not in some of the more ‘lively’ areas such as where that film was taken.

Anyway, put yours in the Mrs shed. Wouldn’t want to see you injure yourself putting the bike away on all those manly things you have 👍🏻💪🏻

Salty Anchovy

Sep 9, 2021
SG
With all the money on companies making crazy tech upgrades on e- suspension and e- shifters that we don’t need, none of them are doing anything about security of the bikes they sell. SMH

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
With all the money on companies making crazy tech upgrades on e- suspension and e- shifters that we don’t need, none of them are doing anything about security of the bikes they sell.
I guess it depends on your perspective.

Forestal for instance - sold hundreds of bikes but they're virtually impossible to steal because they're either at the factory or don't exist - actually we must be due a few new models to grab some more money off people for virtual bikes.

Haibike spend millions on the aesthetics of their bikes, working with psychologists, so would be thieves says "Oh god no, that's ugly".

Spesh have their "random stop" system, where a bike will just randomly turn into a really heavy normal bike or something which won't pedal at all - this design feature is there purely to put people off stealing the bikes.

They also have their "Theft Resistant" models - the SL and KSL "So, it's an e-bike which feels like a normal bike ?"

Warning : these are supposed to be humorous and not intended to ignite the "prime for ignition" testosterone soaked pubes of the frustrated.

And obviously an angle grinder is dangerous. Especially if it's one where the power switch latches on. All the thief needs to do is hold the disk in the span of his palm, turn it on and you have a heavy mace spinning around at 3000 rpm ready to knock anyone out - all thieves should try this at least once.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
I wouldn’t leave my bike locked up anywhere let alone London …..London is a place where no one gives a shit for anyone else ..you might get the odd hero but not many ….I feel sorry for the person whose bike it was

Turbo Mike

Jun 29, 2021
Phoenix, Arizona
Has anyone thought about why this person would steal the bike? Feeding a family, feeding a habit, wanted an ebike to ride to get to work or ??? . . . I would suggest looking at local "craigslist/Ebay" boards or pawn shops. May turn up there. Trying to be constructive.

HinduKush

Jun 7, 2020
Colorado, USA
You've obviously never seen what an angle grinder does to flesh. As well as efficiently removing flesh, it burns and leaves behind fragments of grinding disc. Removing those fragments from burnt flesh is NOT fun.
I have a wound that I'm currently recovering from where I became inattentive while using my angle grinder. It was through my glove and the first layers of skin and nerves so fast I hardly even felt it. Luckily I stopped that movement before it went through to my finger joint. They are nasty.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby
Just watched it on u tube …to the people who walked past and did nothing ..shame on you …no wonder this country if in the mess it’s in

Last edited:

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Feeding a family, feeding a habit, wanted an ebike to ride to get to work
Clearly you only see the good in people Mike, but alas its about greed. The bikes themselves will probably be split up into components and sold in places like gumtree or even ebay. I'm sure some will remain intact, but it depends on how professional an outfit gets hold of them and whether they have the ability to hire things like shipping containers or be able to transport them themselves to countries in the EU.
From the vid we could see at least 3 involved in this and the actual scumbag with the grinder aside, the kid on the left was exactly that, a kid, so possibly not doing it as part of an organized crime group but rather as friends of the main scrote.

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa
I am all for a group of people that are willing to stand together to beat the shit out of these guys. But, you better be sure you significantly outnumber the punks and are ready to have at it. There was more than one thief involved, and it would be quite foolish to jump in yourself unless you had high level MMA fighting skills. Even then, you better hope they don’t have a more serious weapon hidden in their clothing.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I am all for a group of people that are willing to stand together to beat the shit out of these guys. But, you better be sure you significantly outnumber the punks and are ready to have at it. There was more than one thief involved, and it would be quite foolish to jump in yourself unless you had high level MMA fighting skills. Even then, you better hope they don’t have a more serious weapon hidden in their clothing.

high level MMA skills!?

mate this is the UK. 😆

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
high level MMA skills!?
I just got the Oculus out of hibernation for winter .. lots of the apps are upgraded, think I needed to reset the settings on the visuals for the guardian as I just punched the granite mantle piece playing pistol whip in a campaign - I'm 99% sure it won the altercation despite neither of us having an angle grinder .. I'm keeping the bikes though.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I just got the Oculus out of hibernation for winter .. lots of the apps are upgraded, think I needed to reset the settings on the visuals for the guardian as I just punched the granite mantle piece playing pistol whip in a campaign - I'm 99% sure it won the altercation despite neither of us having an angle grinder .. I'm keeping the bikes though.

hope you didn’t give it any of that Jackie Chan Kung fu bollox.

wanna see windmills!

imax

Oct 21, 2021
New Zealand
Kick the F'n spokes in. I set my bike to 0 assist with a password. If a bike shop resets it without checking ownership they are unfit for trade and should pay the consequences. I lockup my bike infont of a Chinese shop and order a pick up for when I get back 鴨子 lol

jimslade

Jun 14, 2019
south lake tahoe, ca
There is this.

semi-serious question: if you've got a Hiplok D1000 that takes ~20min and 5-6 grinder blades to cut through, what do you lock it to? (I've watched the Hiplok video, and can't un-see it... I missed the kickstarter but now want one).
My question is likely not a problem for a while, but at some point.... ?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
semi-serious question: if you've got a Hiplok D1000 that takes ~20min and 5-6 grinder blades to cut through, what do you lock it to? (I've watched the Hiplok video, and can't un-see it... I missed the kickstarter but now want one).
Most of the bike stands are about 4" diameter tubing(maybe even 5") Standard angle grinder is a 115mm(4 1/2") disc, of which you have a maximum cutting depth of 2 1/4 inches, so you wouldnt actually be able to cut through the stand to free the lock, plus you need 2 cuts to create a gap, and even if you used a 9" grinder, I doubt there would be enough of the disc left to cut right through a second time.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
4-5” tubing though right? Not solid… ? so two quick zips around the tube which is not hardened steel and ?
I think you need think about the parameters of actually doing that in real life. And as to hardened steel it doesnt need to be and metal cutting discs wear really quickly but either way, you'd be standing there for 15 minutes slowly grinding around the circumference of a tube, without the bike getting in the way and still have enough disc left for a 2nd cut, so such a situation is completely hypothetical.

Now I actualy think about how I'd go about that, it sounds crazy. You'd have to be really really lucky not to pinch and break the blade trying to maneuver the grinder hand over hand working upside down and back to front.

James_C

Nov 25, 2019
Kent, UK
Why on earth would you leave that locked up and expect it to be there later on, especially in London. Sad state of affairs but they are so easy to steal you just can’t leave them anywhere

Reactions: PAC

STATO

Feb 18, 2020
North

Doesnt matter what you lock it to, the bike frame will cut easier, and they will cut a frame/wheels/anything if they think its worth their effort and have a way to get it away quick (i.e. mate with a van).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles