Scotland biking

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Well it looks like next March I will be heading up the motorway to Scotland for work. 👍 Really excited about this as I have always wanted to go to Scotland. I will be near Killin. Looks a great area. So big question to you Scottish bikers. What will I have in the area for my biking when not working. 👍

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Glassie Bike Park in Aberfeldy would be the closest. There’s a new bike park in the Cairngorms, it has a bike escalator deal that you just stand on with your bike. I haven’t been over that way yet to try it out, I’m not sure what kind of schedule they run so it may or may not be open in March. There’s also the awesome trails at Tarland 2 in Aberdeen if you want to head over that way, it’s not terribly far from where you’ll be .

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Thanks for that. I will be up that way until September so hope to visit fort William also for the day at some point. I have done some research but local knowledge is always good. 👍

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Thanks for that. I will be up that way until September so hope to visit fort William also for the day at some point. I have done some research but local knowledge is always good. 👍
I used to live just outside Fort William, there’s some good riding over that way too. The upper trails will more than likely still be closed in March but you can ride the lower stuff. They’ve also just completed a new pump track if you’re into that, I moved before they finished it but it’s a nice Velosolutions one.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Well it looks like next March I will be heading up the motorway to Scotland for work. 👍 Really excited about this as I have always wanted to go to Scotland. I will be near Killin. Looks a great area. So big question to you Scottish bikers. What will I have in the area for my biking when not working. 👍
Heading over to Craigvinean forest at Dunkeld might be worth a punt. Personally speaking I'm not into full armour downhill suicide routes. That might be your thing though. Some nice routes too up Loch Ordie way at Dunkeld.

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Thanks for that ragnor, that looks like a good area. 👍 I am not into the suicide runs myself. I like downhill but fast single track with nice berms etc best, that’s why I thought the Blue Doon run at fort William was supposed to be good. But really like the forest tracks. 👍

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

You won’t be far from Comrie Croft either. As mentioned previously, Glassie is superb. Only spent a short time there as it started to rain heavily after a couple of hours and the trails turned into a slide fest so we called it a day and set off on our journey home instead. Can’t wait to return though. Pitlochry isn’t far from Aberfeldy either (Ben Cathro’s lockdown trail). You’ll be right in the heart of some amazing trails. Lucky you 😀

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
I have already seen Comrie Croft about an hour away from where I will be. Looks good. Give me Shout if your up that way, be good to go riding with someone. 👍

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Killin is at the top end of my 'patch' for the scouts District, beautiful place, getting into some serious Highland scenery. Could be like Siberia, or like the Costa del Sol in march though ;-) Views down Loch Tay are breathtaking. Some awesome hill walks too.

Not sure of any good biking around Killin itself which seems a shame, but I will check with my locals.

Fort Bill is long way away for a speculative trip in March, and Tarland is even further (seriously, Aberdeenshire is fucking miles away from anywhere! I lived there for 10yrs, never gets any closer), and whilst there's good riding there, you've so much that is closer I would not recommend the trip to either for this first visit.

I am not fan of Endo turn swtichbacks or steep muddy ruts, but love tech flow so maybe similar to what you want.

My list for shuttle-able fun natural trail areas would be (some already mentioned):
Glassie
Balquhidder
Pitlochry
Birnam Hill Dunkeld
Aberfoyle
Stirling (Dumyat or North Third/Cambusbarron)

Your only formal all weather man made trail centre is Comrie Croft, as mentioned above, and it is absolutely fantastic fun. It is relentlessly rocky, almost unbelievably so, reds are way more committing than any other trail centre I've ridden (although the black is more do-able) so make sure your teeth are well fixed :) . lovely coffee and cakes/sausage rolls etc. from the cafe however.

For some classic big country remote loops - Glen Finglas/Meall Cala is a lovely ride (little single track, but a lovely place to be), and Beinn a Ghlo/Glen Tilt is a true belter. March maybe not the best month for big remote rides, on reflection however!

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
lovely coffee and cakes/sausage rolls etc. from the cafe however.

I’d heard some good things about the cafe so was looking forward to a classic trail centre burger and fries after our ride. I had to settle for a Buddha Bowl (vegan salad) as that’s all they had. Although I was initially massively underwhelmed at the prospect of a salad for lunch, it was actually delicious and the healthiest meal I’ve had all year 😆

Hobo Mikey

E*POWAH Elite
Subscriber
May 22, 2020
Where ever
Some great recommendations guys, thanks for that. I will be up there from March until mid September so plenty of time to explore. Keep them coming. 👍

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Eight of us ( all forum members ) are heading up to Torridon on 10th May next year until 14th ..and while that would probably be a stretch too far for you ( another 3.5 hours N.W. of Killin ) ..there was talk of Comrie Croft as a journey breaker on the way up ...and possibly Tarland on the last day ( 14th) ..nothing confirmed ..but I will let you know nearer the time if either looks like a go ..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles