Saddle

Gilbo

Nov 16, 2022
Isle of man
I’m being told that the WTB Silverado saddle is the one to go for. Tried several saddles and yet to find 1 I gel with.
Looking for anyone’s opinions on this saddle.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think there is a general misconception that the amount of gel or padding in a saddle is what makes it comfortable. what is more important in my opinion is fit. Any gel or padding is of no benefit if it is not in the right place for a riders sit bones and padding elsewhere on the saddle can actually prevent a proper fit.
So measuring the distance between your sit bones is important in order to buy the right width saddle.
Other than that I think it is a benefit on an EMTB to have a saddle with a scooped back end rather than a flat saddle.
I know there are some favourite saddles out there but the ones I found most suited for me are the specific EMTB Ergon saddles in their med/large size.
Another bit of riding gear often ignored when trying to achieve saddle comfort is the quality and design of the pad in your shorts or undershorts. Most baggy shorts that come with a padded liner are ( in my opinion) at the low end of the quality scale! Higher quality pads are considerably more expensive and as usual you get what you pay for!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Finding your sit bone width.

Get some corrugated cardboard, place it on a flat surface and sit on it. Don't sit on it whilst wearing a thick pair of jeans or your winter padded trousers! Having sat for 10 seconds or so, lift off and inspect the cardboard. You will see two ill-defined depressions. Draw around each one, following the outside edge of each depression. Estimate the centre of each shape and put a dot there. Measure the distance between the dots. That distance is your sit bone width.

Buy a saddle that has a width across the shoulders of your sit bone width plus 20-30mm. (That is the saddle width quoted).

My sit bone width is 130mm, the saddle that gave me pressure sores was 130mm across the shoulders. The saddle I ride that is perfect for me is 150mm across the shoulders. The other factor is the amount of padding in the saddle. Some saddle makers have a wide range of saddles that have a variety of sit bone widths and padding thicknesses.

Like WTB for example; see this "Fit Right" system introduced by Rachel Atherton. Her counter intuitive wrist method worked for me, but I prefer the direct measurement method. (If you'd had the pressure sores that I had, so would you!)

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
I use natures golden ratio of 1.618 , divided by the length of my thigh !
You never know ☺️
What I’ve learnt is a saddle might be comfy for a hour but not 2 or 3 so I stand more !

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I use natures golden ratio of 1.618 , divided by the length of my thigh !
You never know ☺️
What I’ve learnt is a saddle might be comfy for a hour but not 2 or 3 so I stand more !
I stopped using “Pie-R-Squared” as a formula…it doesn’t work. Trust me on this. 😉

I find the med/lrg Ergon Core with the whale tail works the best for me. Was a bit expensive but I use it every time (on both bikes). You can still slide off the back when you need to.

Ark

Mar 8, 2023
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Ergon saddles are amazing, I've sat on my bike f or 3 hours at a time before with 0 issues. (43 years old and not exactly the fittest person in the world btw , I spend about 7 hours most days sitting slouched at a desk)

I cant remember which I got but it was one of the emtb ones for about £140 and was well worth it
I've got ergon grips too.

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I stopped using “Pie-R-Squared” as a formula…it doesn’t work. Trust me on this. 😉

I find the med/lrg Ergon Core with the whale tail works the best for me. Was a bit expensive but I use it every time (on both bikes). You can still slide off the back when you need to.
I still use the formula that "pies =a squared arse" ..but can't help myself ..I love them all savoury & fruit ...
I nearly pulled the trigger on an Ergon saddle prior to renewing my last one but stuck with a new SDG Bel Air ..my saddle of choice since 2006 and it suits my square arse just fine 🙂

veryoldfart

Oct 1, 2020
Suffolk
I have used a couple of iterations of this WTB saddle for about 25 years. Before that I used to use a flite Ti saddle until I read a review of the WTB saddle. Tried a few others, but for me the WTB is the benchmark for comfort.

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
As a self assessed lard arse, I have found the WTB Koda has been the most comfortable saddle I've used, I'm on my third one now and don't see any reason to change, and surprisingly the steel rail version does seem to have more give ;)

EMTBSEAN

Subscriber
Feb 20, 2020
Sheffield
I beg to differ mate, I've had the Ergon emtb specific saddle and used on a maximum of three rides and ended up selling it as it was like sitting on a brick, WTB Koda has been the dogs dangles as far I'm concerned, but then again no two arses are the same if you get my drift ;)

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Just got this do me £37 merlin cycles

20240210_173941.jpg

YZDude

Aug 28, 2022
Eagan, MN USA
I beg to differ mate, I've had the Ergon emtb specific saddle and used on a maximum of three rides and ended up selling it as it was like sitting on a brick, WTB Koda has been the dogs dangles as far I'm concerned, but then again no two arses are the same if you get my drift ;)
I believe both could be quite good for most people, just gave up after about 3 different WTBs…both brands seem to be top scorers..
IMG_5023.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles