Saddle recommendation?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Selle Royal lookin moderate mens saddle is very comfortable. It’s a gel saddle.

A2C49A7B-3DC7-47E2-8552-CFD747E280BA.png

StuR

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
Forest of Dean
This one ?

Last edited:

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
I know a few people including myself using a WTB Volt (142 - Medium) that are very happy with it.
Most upgraded from other saddles that came with their bikes.

Looked up other comments on the volt on the forum. Seems most people are happy with it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KSL

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
I am happy with a Brooks B17 . It’s a leather saddle that needs 1000 km or so before it stretches to your sit bones. In my climate it’s no problem to keep it out of the rain .

These saddles are about as far away from a gell saddle as it’s possible to get. Having tried a few different gell saddles over the years I know what I will be sitting on for the rest of my life.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Nobody has mentioned yet the importance of establishing your sit bone width. Until you know that, buying a saddle that fits and is comfortable will be a lottery.

My favourite method involves sitting on a piece of corrugated cardboard. Lay cardboard on a hard and flat surface that you can sit on. Sit on it for several seconds. When you get off you should see two depressions in the cardboard where your sit bones have crushed the corrugate. Draw a circle around the depressions and then put a dot in the middle of each circle. Measure the distance apart and that is your sit bone width. Get a saddle that is 20-25mm wider than that. Simples.

Alternatively there is the wrist bone method. You measure your wrist bones. It doesn't seem as intuitive as the corrugate method. But it seems to suit WTB and Rachel Atherton! See here:

Follow that and at the end it takes you to a range of WTB saddles that will suit your sit bone width.

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Completely personal thing. Doesn't make it any easier to find one that suits you.

Unfortunately I couldn't find my favourite WTB Rocket V from 20 years ago, a Volt might be a decent choice.
I tried an Ergon SM-E, but it lasted one ride before going straight back on eBay.
So the SDG Bel Air 3 Lux currently supports my bum on the MTB at the moment.

However, a leftfield choice, the Bontrager Aeolus Elite (145mm) is a complete revelation on my road/gravel bike.
Marketed as a TT / fast road saddle, optimised to keep a good roadie position, but I find it a comfy as chuff all-round perch.
I might have to give one a go on the MTB.

Rocket V is still very much available. I keep a few in stock at all times. ;-) They now come in 3 widths, but the medium width is most similar to the original.

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I've run WTB saddles for as long as I can remember. I've had a variety of models, and I can't really tell the difference, as long as they're in the 145mm range.

Ponk

May 17, 2020
Switzerland AG.
Ergon here too, best saddle I ever had, massive diff from the wooden plank that came with the bike. I usually go for the more gel filled seats as really hate a numb back side. Was a bit skeptical about the Ergon as it didn't look overly comfy, but I am happy to be proved wrong.

Went to the local store to get a few things and they had a bum bone distance machine, didn't realise what it was till I had a closer look, thought it was a fake thing at first. Anyway, tried it and then picked the right size saddle.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I've been looking for a time to for the right saddle, found this sqlabs saddle. I use it in combination with the sqlabs liner. Best combination I've tried yet!!!

Make sure you get the right fit. You need a plus 1-3 cm width depending on your position on the bike. That was my biggest mistake, needed a +2 cm on top of my sitbone width

Flyfisha

Jul 27, 2021
Australia
As the original question is asking for recommendations it’s probably ok for me to post again?
Gell seats are not a long term solution if you research what all day riding “ touring “ riders use for 8 hour days.
Yes a gell seat/ saddle feels comfortable for a one hour ride but it’s not what people use for long rides for a reason. A leather saddle is like a wooden plank at first I will be the first to admit. But look at a leather saddle that has a few thousand kilometres on it. The leather has moulded to the sitbones of the owner.

Sit bones are the key to a good fit.

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
I've been looking for a time to for the right saddle, found this sqlabs saddle. I use it in combination with the sqlabs liner. Best combination I've tried yet!!!

Make sure you get the right fit. You need a plus 1-3 cm width depending on your position on the bike. That was my biggest mistake, needed a +2 cm on top of my sitbone width

Very interesting! Thanks for posting… I think I need to measure my butt-bones

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
B17 is fine for dry climate, otherwise forget it. I had one.

My favourite used to be WTB Pure V. But now I've got a new favourite, Specialized Henge Comp. I can do easily 30km without any chamois or padding.

Nvigr8

Nov 4, 2020
KERRVILLE, TX

KSL

Jul 10, 2021
SoCal
I know a few people including myself using a WTB Volt (142 - Medium) that are very happy with it.
Most upgraded from other saddles that came with their bikes.

Looked up other comments on the volt on the forum. Seems most people are happy with it.

X2: bolted the Volt up to my K-SL and it's been great. Wasn't a fan of Specialized's seat.

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
Big boys needs 160+ cm wide with upper rider weight limit. This filtered some pro and enduro types. Does anybody have some tips?

Kema

Aug 7, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
Nobody has mentioned yet the importance of establishing your sit bone width. Until you know that, buying a saddle that fits and is comfortable will be a lottery.

My favourite method involves sitting on a piece of corrugated cardboard. Lay cardboard on a hard and flat surface that you can sit on. Sit on it for several seconds. When you get off you should see two depressions in the cardboard where your sit bones have crushed the corrugate. Draw a circle around the depressions and then put a dot in the middle of each circle. Measure the distance apart and that is your sit bone width. Get a saddle that is 20-25mm wider than that. Simples.

Alternatively there is the wrist bone method. You measure your wrist bones. It doesn't seem as intuitive as the corrugate method. But it seems to suit WTB and Rachel Atherton! See here:

Follow that and at the end it takes you to a range of WTB saddles that will suit your sit bone width.

Agree with Steve_sordy. Most LBS should have a "foam seat" so they can measure sit bone width.
I had a 135mm and changed it to a 142mm Specialized (can't remember what name) that's hollow in the middle. No numbness or problems what so ever after that.

/Kenneth

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I highly reccomend the Ergon SM E-Mountain Core Prime.

It's specifically made from E-MTBs.

It's by far the most comfortable saddle i've ever used. Theres a few different models of the SM E-Mountain, make sure you look at the 'Core Prime'.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
It's specifically made from E-MTBs.

The amount of stuff people are marketing as "specifically for e-bikes" now is getting daft.
It reminds me of the PC world with "gaming" everything.

I'm pretty sure a saddle for an E-MTB is just the same as a saddle for a none-electric bike. It's just marketing

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
The amount of stuff people are marketing as "specifically for e-bikes" now is getting daft.
It reminds me of the PC world with "gaming" everything.

I'm pretty sure a saddle for an E-MTB is just the same as a saddle for a none-electric bike. It's just marketing

No, no, no!
If it’s says on a tin it’s for e-bikes, it must be for e-bikes

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sit bone width is also bullshit marketing.
Seeing as you don't actually load your sitbones unless you're riding a Mary Poppins bike...
Oh hold on.. That pretty much does describe the riding posture of the average Ebike rider.

YawningInformalHypsilophodon-max-1mb.gif

:sneaky:

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
As the original question is asking for recommendations it’s probably ok for me to post again?
Gell seats are not a long term solution if you research what all day riding “ touring “ riders use for 8 hour days.
Yes a gell seat/ saddle feels comfortable for a one hour ride but it’s not what people use for long rides for a reason. A leather saddle is like a wooden plank at first I will be the first to admit. But look at a leather saddle that has a few thousand kilometres on it. The leather has moulded to the sitbones of the owner.

Sit bones are the key to a good fit.

yeah but that’s like putting a walnut dash on a new Ferrari ??

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Yep! That's the one! They say its for EMTB because that lip at the back cups your bottom when your climbing, because on an emtb your often sitting more often when climbing compared to normal bike. And apparently that helps you put more energy into your pedals. I just love how comfortable it is, the foam stuff in the middle of the seat in the same stuff Adidas uses in their 'boost' shoes. Its firm but compliant it helps the saddle shift with you as you peddle apparently creating a better feeling connection with the bike.

Yeah, im a sucker for marketing come at me bro

wagonrd

Dec 22, 2020
Roseville, CA
Current perch is marginally more comfortable than using just the seat post.

Any recommendations?
The boontrager on my Specialized ebike is long, narrow and hard, made that way so that I can slide off the back and take big hits on the front, and stand up on the pedals and slam the bike sideways. The solution is bike shorts with relatively thick stiff padding around the butt/crotch, and a pair of relatively stiff shorts.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles