What saddle?

Mike D.

Sep 19, 2020
Alpujarras
I've been riding on WTB saddles on analogue bikes for years, but since switching to e-mtb, they're just not comfortable anymore.

I think it might be to do with carrying more weight (spare battery) or maybe I'm just getting decrepit in my old age.

If you are a "spare battery carrier" like me, what saddle would you recommend for all-day comfort?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I found the Ergon eBike saddle to be a massive improvement over the stock Rail saddle.

However, like many aspects of cycling, saddles are very personal and at the very least you need to get your sit bones measured so you buy the correct width.

levity

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Founding Member
Feb 15, 2018
SoCal
^ Agree with @Doomanic.

Be sure to look at the Ergon Core saddle. It’s a new design that incorporates a second layer that flexes with your sit bones. VERY comfortable, and a butt-saver on long rides or when carrying weight on your back. The slight give to the saddle even allows you to pedal seated in rough terrain wher you would normally need to unweight. We even find it to increase pedaling efficiency. Mrs levity and I have installed them on all our bikes, including road and analog.

leix_toffee

Jan 15, 2021
Ireland
I bought an Ergon E-Core Saddle as I was having awful numbness and pain after a ride. 2 spins on the new saddle and Zero numbness or pain. Can feel the difference riding it, so much comfort. Previous was an expensive selle italia gel saddle (given to my brother). Just measure the sit bones properly, the "calculator" was wrong for me (said M) but I measured properly and it was easily an L.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Quite an ugly saddle but pretty comfortable on a hardtail

FD58EC7B-42CE-4D42-8EB2-4CEFA5484ED0.jpeg

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
Ah, so that's why you look miserable in your photos! ?

Ergon SM E mountain core prime. You'll thank me later! I've tried loads of saddles, and this is by far the best. Coupled with GA3 grips, the bike has been transformed.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Mike D. I don't want to be teaching grandma to suck eggs, but is the saddle wide enough for your sit bones? I too had been riding bikes for years, but I got saddle sores quite soon after buying a emtb. I never knew what my sit bone width was, but I do now! It seems that my sit bone width was the same as the saddle on my bike, so the edges of the saddle were right where they shouldn't be! The recommendation is that you have the saddle 20-30mm wider than the sit bone gap. (It worked for me).

The WTB "Fit Right" webpage has good advice and a seemingly counter-intuitive method of coming up with your sit bone width from Rachel Atherton. I followed her method and it agreed with my "sit on some corrugated cardboard" method.

Get some single fluted carboard, lay it on a flat surface, then sit on it!
Get off and you will see two depressions made by your bum. Draw a circle around the depressions and then identify the centre of each. Measure the distance between the centres. Job done!

Word of warning: As I discovered when trying to identify the sit bone width of my 10 years old granddaughter, the cardboard method only works if you have a bony arse like me! The last thing I was going to say to my granddaughter was that she had a fat arse, so I blamed the cardboard! So maybe Rachel was being tactful, I will try her method on my granddaughter next time I see her.

Here is a link to the WTB Fit Right page. It follows on with questions about riding style and recommends several saddles.

Last edited:

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Both my Levo and rise came with uncomfortable saddles

i tried the Sgs bel air 3 on the rise much more comfortable !!!
So comfortable I now got another one for the Levo

Bellefield

Aug 5, 2020
Isle of Man
I'm currently trying the ergon saddle, not sure I'm getting on with it, might go back to my old fizik gobi saddle, which I keep going back to despite it being about 20 years old now

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
I'm currently trying the ergon saddle, not sure I'm getting on with it, might go back to my old fizik gobi saddle, which I keep going back to despite it being about 20 years old now

Stick with it for a few rides, as your arse may need to get used to it.

Oldmtber

Oct 9, 2019
Worcester
Same here. Just reluctant to abandon my Gobi. In fact if you need it I have a brand new spare which came as a warranty replacement from Fizik. The second hand one I bought just never gave up.

Rotwilder

Apr 19, 2019
West Yorkshire
I’ve been using Brooks saddles for 50+ years and recently bought a Brooks Cambium C17 which is very comfortable for all day riding. I also use a Brooks Professional leather on my non e road bike which I’ve tried on the ebike and was gonna leave it on but decided to try the modern looking Cambium instead. Never got on with the original Ergon supplied with the ebike.

Chuckles

Feb 16, 2020
Us

Bellefield let me know if you want to get rid your saddle, i've been looking for one, but out of stock like the rest of the bike industry.,,

DirtyPete

Apr 28, 2021
Finland
SQlab Ergowave saddles are pricey but very good quality and they sure are comfortable. I got new 611 myself and its great, it has perfect cut out channel to keep your private parts from dying and it comes with switchable dampers to change the feel of the saddle. I've used mostly WTB and Selle Italia saddles before and its definitely a improvement.

Just make sure to measure your sit bones first to pick right size saddle.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Both my Levo and rise came with uncomfortable saddles

i tried the Sgs bel air 3 on the rise much more comfortable !!!
So comfortable I now got another one for the Levo
I'm assuming you mean sdg Bel Air 's....I've been sitting on these for the last 15 years and have just replaced the standard Whyte saddle with the one I had on my T130rs before gifting that bike to my son ( I also did the same with the Ergon grips ) ..the bike has been in storage with my LBS ( mate) ..for about 5 months while waiting for replacement parts ..
As far as the saddle goes I've always found them excellent and see no reason why that shouldn't be the case on an ebike ..
That monstrosity of a gel saddle further up the page must have doubled the weight of an already heavy bike ..?

Michaelp66

Aug 12, 2018
Burnley, Lancashire
I've been riding with Prologo Proxim saddles for a few years now, can't knock them.

I've just ordered another Prologo Proxim W450 Sport T2.0 Saddle 155mm for a bargain price of £39.99... I paid £90 for my last one!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles