Headtorch Recommendation

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
Hi

Now that the darker weather is approaching ? I am wanting to get a decent headtorch for some extra vision whilst off road. Not wanting something to heavy as i have a decent main light.

I have been looking at the exposure joystick with helmet mount

What have you got?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If it's for visibility from other road users you should be able to attach something like these little lightweight LED lights to your helmet fairly easily

A proper headtorch is great to have for riding offroad but it's a pretty terrible idea to use one on the road as it will dazzle oncoming traffic.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
If it's for visibility from other road users you should be able to attach something like these little lightweight LED lights to your helmet fairly easily

A proper headtorch is great to have for riding offroad but it's a pretty terrible idea to use one on the road as it will dazzle oncoming traffic.
I think the clue was 'extra vision whilst off-road'

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah, @j3ayy edited out the word "visibility" to replace it with the phrase "vision whilst off road" 20 minutes after I replied

But thanks for trying to be helpful ;)

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
For off road riding the most important light is the one which is helmet mounted ..this is the light which illuminates where you are actually looking and not where the bike is pointing ..
I've a gen1.Exposure Maxxd light for my bars ..which is great as its rechargeable and involves no battery pack or wires..and works really well ( still) after well over 10 years of service..
My helmet mounted light while compact kicks out 2200 lumens and combined with the bar mount gives over 3000 lumens of output ..its not however wireless and the battery pack sits in my camelback...wire through the rear of my helmet ..its a 2nd gen Chinese jobbie twin beamed gel cooled ..weight wise ..its light enough and once riding you forget its there..but youve got to remember to take back pack & helmet off almost at the same time ..cant remember the exact make ..cost me £99.00..mates rates from my riding buddy friendly LBS owner a few years back wben he was buying direct..they havent let me down or burst into flames ?
However the main point Im making here is that your helmet mounted lights are the most important ones as they will illuminate where you are actually looking ..
Exposure make some fantastic lights .. although they are expensive ..

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
We were looking into Exposure lights only a few days ago. The cheapest seems to be the ‘joystick’, which can be both helmet and bar mounted and kicks out over 1000 lumens. However as we’d be buying for two bikes and two heads they’d cost around £650, which is a lot of money to ride in a dark forest in the wet & cold

One of the best combos is meant to be the Six Pack on the bars and the Diablo on your noggin, but that’d be over £600 per rider, so £1200 to ride in the cold dark forest

It’d be cheaper to buy a generator and some floodlights and just session a small line!

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
@Tubby G ..They are great lights ..but there are cheaper options ..the early Chinese lights were prone to a few mis-haps ..not least burning your house down while charging the battery ..but that scenario seems to be in the past ..
This company might be worth a look ..their Luminator is very similar in design to what Ive got ( less lumens though) ..

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
@Tubby G ..They are great lights ..but there are cheaper options ..the early Chinese lights were prone to a few mis-haps ..not least burning your house down while charging the battery ..but that scenario seems to be in the past ..
This company might be worth a look ..their Luminator is very similar in design to what Ive got ( less lumens though) ..

I had a cheap ebay light years ago mounted on the bars with a massive battery pack strapped to the bike. I thought it was fantastic, for the first twenty minutes or so, and then it plunged me into total darkness in an instant when the battery died. Never used it again!

I’d consider a decent helmet mount at a fair price. It’s not so much for full on night riding, but for those days in winter when you’re out on the trail in the afternoon and dusk starts to set in and the light diminishes fast in the woods. The Exposure Joystick seems a fair price and gets great reviews but I’m not sure if 1100 lumen would be enough. I’ll take a look at your link, and Kilham’s suggestions

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
I run an Exposure Diablo using the Exposure gopro mount to my helmet; its a fantastic light, lasts for hours, would snap off in the event of a crash rather than embedding itself in my head.

Goes well to compliment the bar light.

I was going to go for the Joystick but a friend convinced me to spend extra on the basis that I’d keep it for 10 years so the price difference wouldnt be that much annualised. That was all my man brain needed to spend extra, but it is worth it having now owned both.

j3ayy

Oct 10, 2020
North Yorkshire
We were looking into Exposure lights only a few days ago. The cheapest seems to be the ‘joystick’, which can be both helmet and bar mounted and kicks out over 1000 lumens. However as we’d be buying for two bikes and two heads they’d cost around £650, which is a lot of money to ride in a dark forest in the wet & cold

One of the best combos is meant to be the Six Pack on the bars and the Diablo on your noggin, but that’d be over £600 per rider, so £1200 to ride in the cold dark forest

It’d be cheaper to buy a generator and some floodlights and just session a small line!
Yep that’s a lot of ?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

If you used that combination the light and heat coming off them would cause the forest to be cold and dark no longer, although your wallet would probably be even lighter than the forest!

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire

there are usually some good offers on exposure light + the factory 2nd are a great option

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles