Runny sealant

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
This is the first time I've run tubeless tyres. Has gone well, been doing it for about a year. Have just replaced my back tyre, it still had a lot of runny sealant in it, which I thought was great. Didn't know what to do with it so just stood the old tyre up and thought it would dry out. However, it hasn't, 4 days later it's still just as runny. It's Stans NoTubes. Should it have dried out? I'm just a little concerned as the front tyre also has the same in it and has done for a year now with only one top up. Just concerned it won't seal a future puncture. Although it has sealed 5 or 6 punctures that I've noticed over the last year. Should I empty the front one and put fresh in it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's not just air, it's the pressure change as it's forced through a hole which causes it to react. I think it does loose it's effectiveness over time though as it breaks down/evaporates off.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
It separates over time. If what is left in the tyre is relatively clear it is no good. You will probably find all the latex has actually bonded itself to the tyre all around the walls of the tyre leaving just the transport fluid. At a year old it should be chucked anyway. If your front was originally done at the same time with just one top up over a year ( how much top up?) I would dismount the tyre and renew the sealant. I use rather more sealant that is recommended in the first place ( 100ml as opposed to 60ml) and top up with 30ml every 3 months. I change from winter to summer tyres in May so original sealant never has to last more than 6 months.

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
Cheers all, it doesn't look too watery but I'll just renew it anyway. I put in 120ml when I did it originally, then added another 50-100 when I topped it up. Probably why there is so much left! I'd rather use more and decrease the chances of a puncture anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles