Tubeless sealant

Walters80

Feb 18, 2020
Woodbridge
Had tubeless conversion done by Evans today, was part of the deal when I got the bike.
wheels back in, gave them a spin, washed the bike and noticed loads of bubbles coming out the rear tyre! ? spun it a few more times, been told it helps seal them, no joy.
Pumped up to 60psi, again more advice, still bubbles. Holes are small, most less than 1mm, like a thorn has gone through. Been on a little ride to see if that helps.
Will leave it overnight but already lost a couple of psi.
So am I going to need a new tyre and more sealant? Or is the sealant they use rubbish?
Any ideas??

Tooks

Subscriber
Mar 29, 2020
Lincs UK
It can take a while to seal some tyres, but taking the wheels off the bike and spinning them horizontally helps seal the sidewalls if that’s where the air is coming from?

Keep moving the sealant around the tyre even if just by riding, and eventually they’ll seal up.

Walters80

Feb 18, 2020
Woodbridge
Thatll be an eliminator! The homes are just thorn holes by the look of it, can see the bubbles with a little soapy water over the tyre.
Might call back to Evans tomorrow for a new tyre if they’ve got something in stock and get some Stans sealant as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Pump up to 40psi. Give the wheel a good shaking back and forth etc, then sit the wheel on a bucket and leave it for 30 mins or so.
Flip over, repeat above.
Test the pressure. If it has only dropped by 1-2 psi, go ride.

It can take a while to seal the tyre walls. The sealant would normally have rapidly sealed those 1mm holes as they occurred, ie one at a time. Giving it dozens to do may take a bit longer.

I had over two dozen punctures in one tyre and I never ever noticed any of them at the time they happened.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles