Run sram eagle with shimano steps?

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Hi, I have a full eagle set up from another build and would love to put it on my Commencal meta power. Is there any way the front shimano chainring on the e8000 motor can work with eagles 12 speed cassette? Thank you!

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
Hi, I have a full eagle set up from another build and would love to put it on my Commencal meta power. Is there any way the front shimano chainring on the e8000 motor can work with eagles 12 speed cassette? Thank you!
You can run any front chainring that fits....what’s on the back can be envy thing you wish as long as the mech, shifter, freewheel are compatible

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I am a newbie to emtb, but I don't believe that the number or type of gears on the cassette has any bearing at all as to what motor you have. The front ring and number of teeth does however..

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
modern chainrings will fit all speed cassette. its the chain that has to be compatible and that is with the cassette, as long as the chain is the same speed as the cassette you will be fine.

Etacata

Jan 21, 2019
Mt. Hood, OR
Don’t think you need 12 speed, I can get up every hill with 9, you will never use the bigger gears and I bet the lightweight cassette will wear out for fun.
I bet it will wear out quicker. I'm gonna try it anyways since the eagle is sitting unused right now. just need to pick up a quick connect link. ilk report back on how it goes.

thanks for the replys?

Welshman

Subscriber
Nov 8, 2018
South wales
I bet it will wear out quicker. I'm gonna try it anyways since the eagle is sitting unused right now. just need to pick up a quick connect link. ilk report back on how it goes.

thanks for the replys?
I use 11 speed di2 on mine...crack on and enjoy fella

ottoshape

Dec 19, 2018
Right Here
are those bolt hole comparable with the shimano chairing bolt holes?

Not sure if you're asking if they're the same as a shimano chainring. No idea on that comparison. They are 100% compatible with the e8000 chainring mounting arms.

Last edited:

Dewi

Jan 9, 2019
Melbourne
My Norco Sight VLT comes standard with Eagle 12sp. Note though that Sram only rate the NX cassette, which fits Shitmano hub and has 50-11 teeth, strong enough for E bike use, the GX, XO and XX1 using XD driver are not rated strong enough for E use, also the lighter chains are not recommended, NX solid pin chain is the go.
The Eagle is handy if you run out of battery ?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I had a Renthal chainring on for a while. Most are alloy , whereas the original is steel so the Renthal did show a little wear , but it would easily last 2 chains
Id say if your not finding use for a 32 46 combination then you haven’t found the right hills yet ??
1548889970559.jpeg

Nifty 56

Dec 13, 2018
Lytham St.Annes
10, 11, 12 speed chains all use the same inner width size, so no problems with chain rings. It's the outer widths that are different and the wrong speed chain won't work so well with the wrong speed cassette.

Some emtbs, like the Rocky Mountain Altitude Powerplay, only have 8 speed so they can have thicker, stronger chains.

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
I'm looking to take a full eagle AXS set up off an existing bike as well and replace the stock 12 speed Shimano XT. Did you try the Shimano Chainring on your e8000 motor with the SRAM Eagle set-up?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles