Shimano Steps with SRAM EX1

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Has anyone done it themselves?
I see Canyon Spectral On works with EX1 and Steps, but I wonder id they use the Shimano steps ring or another? I guess it is basically down to EX1 chain (wider and tougher) compatibility with the Steps chain ring.

I am considering switching but I'm not completely sold on EX1 for several reasons, one of them being compatibility, then price and lastly if it really is worth it just to get some better shifting under power.

Idk, what do you guys think?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In answer to your first question an EX1 chain will work fine with any NW ring, Shimano, SRAM or aftermarket

in answer to your second...
if this is you
giphy.gif

Go EX1

You don't EVER get better derrailleur shifting under power. Ease off the power and your chain will shift smoother with less chance of damaging it or the sprockets. it'll also last longer.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
In answer to your first question an EX1 chain will work fine with any NW ring, Shimano, SRAM or aftermarket

in answer to your second...
if this is you
giphy.gif

Go EX1

You don't EVER get better derrailleur shifting under power. Ease off the power and your chain will shift smoother with less chance of damaging it or the sprockets. it'll also last longer.
Agreed. Given the huge cost of the cassettes I can't see that EX1 will save you anything in the long run, even if you do use less chains and cassettes in the overall life of the drivetrain. I suspect (but have no proof) that something like 10 speed Deore or 11 speed NX with an all steel cassette is about the sweet spot currently in terms of price/durability/shift quality for eMTBs.

Last edited:

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Ah, thanks ! My GoogleFoo didn't bring up anything. Great to see.
Now to see a long term review from someone who have used it over an longer period of time and who isn't too biased in either direction.
A selling point is better shifting under power, but just like Gary I am not too sure about it.
The chain lasting longer - sure sounds good but really...the price is just insane for that benefit.
It would be great to hear some stories from people who have used it.
A totally other direction would be to get a cheap sunrace cassette. As it stands now I am pretty happy with my SLX cassette and XT shifter/derrailleur, but I am wondering about EX1 once stuff start to wear out.

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
SRAM have extended the e shifters to their usual ranges this year which only shift one gear at a time. That might be useful. The only time I have mashed anything was when I tried to grab too many gears in one go.
Not a lot of use if you are running a Shimano derailleur though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles