Rockrider E-ST520

Micks1

Mar 2, 2022
Donegal
Hi, can anyone tell me the size of frame they have on the E ST 520 in relation to their height. I am 6’3 and in theory should be going for the XL frame, but I have read that the frame is sized big and a large would do. I can’t get to a Decathlon Shop to try out and would be ordering online. Any feedback would be much appreciated

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Hi, can anyone tell me the size of frame they have on the E ST 520 in relation to their height. I am 6’3 and in theory should be going for the XL frame, but I have read that the frame is sized big and a large would do. I can’t get to a Decathlon Shop to try out and would be ordering online. Any feedback would be much appreciated
We have a Small EST520 and a Medium EST900. I am 5' 7" and would say that the medium is a bit big for me.
The height issue for me on the EST900 is at the rear of the top crossbar, as this does not slope down very much and snags my ball sack :)
They are a tall bike.

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
Hi, me and my gf planning to buy the e-st900. I'm 180 cm (5"11), she is 160 cm (5"3).
Do you guys think M and S is a good choice for us?

I tried the M and it was fine for me, but according to the chart I should be on L. But when I compared the geometry of M it was similar if not bigger than my rockhopper 2010.

Does anyone have the stand over height for S? ( it's out of stock everywhere here, and she cannot try it. ) I'm worried that even the S is too big for her.

Cheers.

Mickeyflyn

Feb 19, 2022
SE Wales UK
I have an est 900 and found the frames larger than stated. I'm 5ft10 and bought a medium which is ok for me , but I read if you are between 2 sizes then go for the smaller. Hope this helps .

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
I have an est 900 and found the frames larger than stated. I'm 5ft10 and bought a medium which is ok for me , but I read if you are between 2 sizes then go for the smaller. Hope this helps .

thanks.
according to decathlon
M is 1M65-1M75
L is 1M75-1M80
XL is 1M80-

so for 1M80. It's should be either L/XL ... but i read it many places that the sizing is just off.
think M is the way to go :D
need to find one in stock and try.

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Thanks, so is the small too small for you?
Apologies for the delay, been away.
The small is the better fit for myself, even though the sizing chart says that I'm suitable for a medium (1M65-1M75 ).
I am 170 and find the rear of the crossbar very high. I cannot put my feet flat on the ground with the medium.

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
Apologies for the delay, been away.
The small is the better fit for myself, even though the sizing chart says that I'm suitable for a medium (1M65-1M75 ).
I am 170 and find the rear of the crossbar very high. I cannot put my feet flat on the ground with the medium.

I compared this (EST-900) bike's geometry to my other bikes and came to the conclusion that the M is an L
so I'll go with M for my 180cm.

GBR66

Mar 6, 2022
UK
Hi, me and my gf planning to buy the e-st900. I'm 180 cm (5"11), she is 160 cm (5"3).
Do you guys think M and S is a good choice for us?

I tried the M and it was fine for me, but according to the chart I should be on L. But when I compared the geometry of M it was similar if not bigger than my rockhopper 2010.

Does anyone have the stand over height for S? ( it's out of stock everywhere here, and she cannot try it. ) I'm worried that even the S is too big for her.

Cheers.
I’m 179cm and have the large, I like the position it gives me but also have wide shoulders and arms like an orangutan so I can see that more normally shaped people would probably be better suited by the Medium!

GBR66

Mar 6, 2022
UK
Centre of BB to centre of grips is 870mm so theoretically 4.5cm too long on the calc you linked to, but I’m not looking to do technical stuff and have long arms.

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
Centre of BB to centre of grips is 870mm so theoretically 4.5cm too long on the calc you linked to, but I’m not looking to do technical stuff and have long arms.
I measured my RAD and its 80-81cm also the formula gives the same (180×4.47)
so Large is 7cm too big for me ... or doing something wrong

silles

Mar 5, 2022
spain
picked up my E-ST900. its nice. I like that u can tune the 4 modes and adjust the assistance.
I dont see the point of boost, so tweaked it .. anyways

Now my GF wants one, but she likes the 520 more.

I noticed it has different display, could someone confirm that the assistance can be tweaked? (i dont like the default 60/120/320)

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
picked up my E-ST900. its nice. I like that u can tune the 4 modes and adjust the assistance.

Now my GF wants one, but she likes the 520 more.

I noticed it has different display, could someone confirm that the assistance can be tweaked? (i dont like the default 60/120/320)
We have a 520 here which is about 12 months old.
I am not aware if the assistance can be tweaked. The display is fairly basic.
However, my wife gets on really well with it.
The only mod that has been done to her bike is a suspension post, which was a personal preference.
I actually find that she pulls away from me on steep hills, but I have changed my front chain ring on my 900 to a 38T.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
thanks.
according to decathlon
M is 1M65-1M75
L is 1M75-1M80
XL is 1M80-
1m77 and the L the truck delivered was too big.

So installed a very short stem, fits perfectly now.

With the upright motor and long battery the steering bar will always be the same height, so I think even a M will be too big for people smaller than me.

Marras

Nov 30, 2020
Italy
We have a Small EST520 and a Medium EST900. I am 5' 7" and would say that the medium is a bit big for me.
The height issue for me on the EST900 is at the rear of the top crossbar, as this does not slope down very much and snags my ball sack :)
They are a tall bike.
Hi! I’ve a 520 as well and I found it a very book bike overall, especially on the trails, it’s a very capable bike. One of the most underrated things are the tyre, they are amazing at soaking bumps, routes and rocks, with a low pressure you can pass any obstacle. The fork is a bit disappointing, with no rebound and little noisy, but it does the job and it’s usable on the trails. Since you have both the 520 and the 900, have you ever tried to use the 500wh battery on the 520? I would love to increase the range, with the 420wh sometimes I’ve a little bit of battery anxiety, maybe 70km and 1400m of slope is a bit too much for this little battery, I had to use mostly in 1 power setting and sometimes even off to ensure I return at home.

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
Hi! I’ve a 520 as well and I found it a very book bike overall, especially on the trails, it’s a very capable bike. One of the most underrated things are the tyre, they are amazing at soaking bumps, routes and rocks, with a low pressure you can pass any obstacle. The fork is a bit disappointing, with no rebound and little noisy, but it does the job and it’s usable on the trails. Since you have both the 520 and the 900, have you ever tried to use the 500wh battery on the 520? I would love to increase the range, with the 420wh sometimes I’ve a little bit of battery anxiety, maybe 70km and 1400m of slope is a bit too much for this little battery, I had to use mostly in 1 power setting and sometimes even off to ensure I return at home.
Hi.
Yes, I have interchanged the batteries on both bikes, without any issues.
I have taken my 520 battery with me as a spare, but never had to use it. 🤞
The forks on the 900 are better than on the 520. They also seem to hold the bike nice with the forks locked, when in the back of my van.

PXL_20220606_180239529.jpg

Marras

Nov 30, 2020
Italy
That's amazing, the answer I was waiting for! As I said right now the maximum I reached is 70km and 1500mt slope, mostly on setting 1 and off during the descent and for about 5km on the way home (that was quite tight!). I weight 72kg and the tyre pressure is 2.5 bar keeped on the climb and down to 1.5bar on the descent. I still use innertubes but I put some sealant 1 year ago in it and never had a problem since then. I'm quite confortable with the size S for my 167cm height.
Is it worth to buy the est900 battery according you? which is the distance you can cover with that battery?
And for the sake of curiosity, the range on the display is updated by using different battery or is not that smart?
Thank you for the infos! these bikes are so underrated, they have an incredible value for the money and really usable on trails.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
the e-st100, 500, 520 and 900 are compatible with eachother's battery, and with their charger.

The e-st500 charger is much lighter than the e-st900, perfect for the backpack.
2A vs 4A iirc

DT36

Sep 17, 2020
S. Wales
That's amazing, the answer I was waiting for! As I said right now the maximum I reached is 70km and 1500mt slope, mostly on setting 1 and off during the descent and for about 5km on the way home (that was quite tight!). I weight 72kg and the tyre pressure is 2.5 bar keeped on the climb and down to 1.5bar on the descent. I still use innertubes but I put some sealant 1 year ago in it and never had a problem since then. I'm quite confortable with the size S for my 167cm height.
Is it worth to buy the est900 battery according you? which is the distance you can cover with that battery?
And for the sake of curiosity, the range on the display is updated by using different battery or is not that smart?
Thank you for the infos! these bikes are so underrated, they have an incredible value for the money and really usable on trails.
I have never taken any notice of the range on my bike, as I never look at any of the other screens, sorry.
I did a ride at Salisbury Plain yesterday for around 17 miles @ 1hr 14min and had 3 bars left on my 900. The display starts with 4 bars. This was mostly steady gradients.
When I'm at home, I usually do around 15 miles @ 1hr 10 mins. I use 2 bars there, but they are very steep gradients, up and down valleys in Wales.
The longest ride I've done was around 3 hours and used 3 bars.
Bodyweight wise, I sit at around 14 stone with a Cadence averaging in the low to mid 50s.

Screenshot_20220609-194829.png

Screenshot_20220609-195046.png

baddon

Jan 1, 2023
Near Belfast
I was not aware that this could be done and can see that it would be a massive advantage to be able to adjust. The controller on a 520 is same as the older 900, but the current 900 is a newer colour display with a different position for the buttons (fall easier to your thumb) and is a higher quality I think-supose they have to justify the price hike from £1600 when released to £2000 as I looked at a few days ago.

baddon

Jan 1, 2023
Near Belfast
Also tried out the different size frames.

I am 5ft8" but like a larger frame normally. For me I found the large was my best fit. XL was a bit of a stretch and med meant I did not have as good control at lower speeds as with the L frame.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles