Rise Up - What are your upgrades?

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
I can play this game now,

I collected my H30 on Tuesday and spent yesterday tinkering.

So far,

Swapped the Dissector from front to back and fitted a 2.5wt Minion DHF Maxxgrip up front. Set both up tubeless. Had to use the old 'inner tube in to seat the bead' trick as they weren't going anywhere with just a track pump.

Manitou Mezzer Pro replaced the Z2. Dropped the travel on the Mezzer to 150mm for the time being. It's quite a tall fork so it'll probably stay that way.

Brakes... The bike should have come with some non series twin pots so I bought a set of M6120s in anticipation (£160 from Merlin was a bargain). Fully prepared to drop the motor to run the hoses I was half happy and half disappointed that the bike actually came with M6100 twin pots.

It was good, because they're better that what was supposed to be on there but at the same time bad, because if I'd have realised I would have just bought SLX calipers for the same money. Considered sending back the Deores but there's no appreciable difference in power. They're just shinier.

Swapped the front disc to an XT Ice Tech 203. Bought a matching 180 rear without thinking and obviously, it doesn't have the magnet so that'll be going back. Also want some metallic pads as I'm not keen on the bite from the resin ones.

Grips, went for Deathgrip because I find the really comfy. Black is boring though so might buy some orange clamps for them.

Saddle I changed for a Specialized Phenom Expert. Was considering the Pro but it's a big increase in price for a small decrease in weight.

Fitted an Invisiframe kit which was painful. Not so much the kit, just that I'd have rather been riding that fitting it!

Next on the cards will probably be the wheels and a lighter cassette. It's been an expensive few days thought so that needs to wait for a bit.

I'll be seappingbthe dropper too. I reckon I'll easily get a 180 on there, maybe even more. Probably a Oneup. Oh, and while we're in that subject... Probably some Carbon Bars as well as they've been super comfy on my hardtail so far.

Does it ever stop??
Just switch the calipers over to the 4pots

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Just switch the calipers over to the 4pots

Already done!

That's where I was conflicted, seeing as the hoses/ levers were already Deore, I could have got SLX calipers for the same money as I paid for the set of Deores seeing as I didn't need the new levers/ hoses anyway.

I decided to keep them and as you say, for the calipers. The twin pots can go on the missus bike. Or maybe in the classifieds... Not sure yet. She never rides the thing anyway!

TorAtle

Aug 4, 2018
OSLO
20211006_235235 (3).jpg

A photo of a mod I did last winter with PRO Koryak Di2 bar/stem combo, Lupine SL X, AXS dropper/shifting. The EW-EN100 junction box is hidden inside the bar along with wires to remotes on both sides (power mode, lights). Pleased with the clean look. The Lupine is not terribly impressive but I guess is as good as it gets with the Shimano power output for lights.

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
After giving up on the 8mth wait for my Orange H15 order I picked up a grey one 3weeks/ 250 miles ago from a dealer 60miles away. I'd had plenty of time to collect parts including a matching orange hope headset which now doesn't match the grey bike😁
Here's what I've changed so far....
• Std M6100 brakes with 203 Icetech front disc. Brakes are performing great so far despite all the negative reviews I've read.
• AXS wireless shifting with zirbel shifter for incredibly quick and effortless shifting. Would like AXS dropper with Zirbel actuator to clean up the cockpit even further but the dropper post cost is a bit too much for my liking.
• Oneup carbon ebars with Shimano cables and AXS wireless sender fitted internally.
• Oneup edc toolkit in the stem with headset threaded to give more room for the tubeless tyre stabber & bacon strips.
• Original tyres but tubeless. I thought I might get away with these, at least in the summer, but I had a couple of major slides at the local bike park where I lost the front and back together in dry high banked turns. I managed to just hang on to the broadside/ drifts but will be switching tyres soon, I'm used to 2x Magic Mary on my previous emtbs.
• I re-used my Specialized Henge comp seat from my previous bike because its so comfortable and also for the SWAT mounts so I can carry C02 & adapter plus light under my seat when I go without backpack.
• Hope headset changed after reading about how short lived the original Acros headset can be.
• 3d printed some plugs to plug the holes left by gear cable removal.
• Invisiframe self fitted before 1st ride. Takes time and patience to fit to a reasonable standard. Mine came out on the good side of OK but I would think twice before doing another bike myself.
• Mudhugger FR fitted backwards on rear wheel. This works really well. I trimmed what was the curved front of the mudguard to a straighter shape.
• Range Extender has been essential on a couple of occasions so far where I've used about 500Wh in 35miles/ 4500ft of a 45 mile ride.

Next on my list is a 30T front sprocket for the more technical/ brutal climbs I've been struggling with, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

20220918_132259.jpg

20220918_171445.jpg

20220918_132315.jpg

20220918_132327.jpg

20220918_132335.jpg

20220918_132833.jpg

Last edited:

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
After giving up on the 8mth wait for my Orange H15 order I picked up a grey one 3weeks/ 250 miles ago from a dealer 60miles away. I'd had plenty of time to collect parts including a matching orange hope headset which now doesn't match the grey bike😁
Here's what I've changed so far....
• Std M6100 brakes with 203 Icetech front disc. Brakes are performing great so far despite all the negative reviews I've read.
• AXS wireless shifting with zirbel shifter for incredibly quick and effortless shifting. Would like AXS dropper with Zirbel actuator to clean up the cockpit even further but the dropper post cost is a bit too much for my liking.
• Oneup carbon ebars with Shimano cables and AXS wireless sender fitted internally.
• Oneup edc with headset threaded.
• Original tyres but tubeless. I thought I might get away with these, at least in the summer, but I had a couple of major slides at the local bike park where I lost the front and back together in dry high banked turns. I managed to just hang on to the broadside/ drifts but will be switching tyres soon, I'm used to 2x Magic Mary on my previous emtbs.
• I re-used my Specialized Henge comp seat from my previous bike because its so comfortable and also for the SWAT mounts so I can carry C02 & adapter plus light under my seat when I go without backpack.
• Hope headset changed after reading about how short lived the original Acros headset can be.
• 3d printed some plugs to plug the holes left by gear cable removal.
• Invisiframe self fitted before 1st ride. Takes time and patience to fit to a reasonable standard. Mine came out on the good side of OK but I would think twice before doing another bike myself.
• Mudhugger FR fitted backwards on rear wheel. This works really well. I trimmed what was the curved front of the mudguard to a straighter shape.
• Range Extender has been essential on a couple of occasions so far where I've used about 500Wh in 35miles/ 4500ft of a 45 mile ride.

Next on my list is a 30T front sprocket for the more technical/ brutal climbs I've been struggling with, but I haven't been able to find one yet.

View attachment 97482

View attachment 97483

View attachment 97484

View attachment 97485

View attachment 97486

View attachment 97487

Needs more orange.

Seat post clamp and some grips with orange collars. Maybe some orange valves on the wheels.

I say that, my bike is orange and I'm not keen on it lol I wish I could have found a grey one locally.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
looks really good, where is the controller box thingy for the shifter?

I have been contemplating AXS shifter but the longer I have this bike the more I see the drivetrain as a consumable that will need regular replacement. I'm already on 2nd chain/derailleur. Maybe AXS will be less finicky where it comes to little knocks and hits that make shifting performance poor.

Last edited:

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
looks really good, where is the controller box thingy for the shifter?

I have been contemplating AXS shifter but the longer I have this bike the more I see the drivetrain as a consumable that will need regular replacement. I'm already on 2nd chain/derailleur. Maybe AXS will be less finicky where it comes to little knocks and hits that make shifting performance poor.
Ive got the WiFi sender shrink wrapped & slid inside the end of the bar. It's a bit finniky to fit 1st time but easy to get at now, as I'll eventually need to change the battery in a couple of years time.
The AXS conversion kit is very reasonably priced if you shop around. The derailleur also folds out of the way if it takes a hit. Not sure how much that would save it but it should help it survive. :unsure:

20220713_165818.jpg

20220713_165644.jpg

Last edited:

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
Have 2 Rises....very different bikes

2021 OG M Team blue
upgrades are
range extender
schwalbe big betty / magic mary 29x2.4 super trails
Tannus tubeless armor inserts
DT Swiss FR541 rims on stock Raceface Vault hubs upgraded spokes
203mm Galfer front rotor
Ergon SMC Core Pro saddle
Raceface Atlas kashmoney Turbine 50mm stem
kashmoney Getagrips
kashmoney Atlas pedals
I couldn't be happier with this trail bike!

2022 XL H30 black/anthracite
UPGRADES....
170MM FOX 38 ETUNE FORK
8.5 X 2.5 FOX DHX2 W 550LB SPRING
ONE UP 35MM RISE CARBON BARS
ONE UP 180MM DROPPER
ERGON SMC CORE PRO SADDLE
155MM MIRANDA DELTA CRANK ARMS
RACEFACE ATLAS SILVER PEDALS
MAGURA MT7 PRO BRAKES
TRP 2 PC 203MM ROTORS
CRANK BROS SYNTHESIS ALLOY MX WHEELSET
CHRIS KING DROPSET HEADSET
RACEFACE TURBINE 50MM STEM BLACK
SCHWALBE BIG BETTY / MAGIC MARY SUPER GRAVITY
OFFSET BUSHINGS FOR SHOCK
SRAM GX AXS DRIVETRAIN
PNW LOAM DROPPER REMOTE
RUNNING AT 85NM FULL POWER

ljirv1

Oct 10, 2022
Australia
Ive got the WiFi sender shrink wrapped & slid inside the end of the bar. It's a bit finniky to fit 1st time but easy to get at now, as I'll eventually need to change the battery in a couple of years time.
The AXS conversion kit is very reasonably priced if you shop around. The derailleur also folds out of the way if it takes a hit. Not sure how much that would save it but it should help it survive. :unsure:

View attachment 97508

View attachment 97509
Nice work! love that clean cockpit. If you don't mind me asking which part did you pull apart for the wireless signal transmitter to be broken down to that size? Any further images?

nrgbod

Mar 11, 2022
Middlesbrough
Nice work! love that clean cockpit. If you don't mind me asking which part did you pull apart for the wireless signal transmitter to be broken down to that size? Any further images?
I screwed the board and battery holder from a standard AXS shifter to a strip of fibreglass board. The Zirbel link on the following page will give an idea of what's involved. Technical | BERG

20220715_113923.jpg

MaxLTV

Oct 22, 2022
Vancouver
I have Rise LTD with Fox 34 140mm and DPS shock (COVID shortage buy - the only M-size e-bike that I could find that summer, LOL). I'm coming back to MTB after a 10-year break, so need some time to catch up with the new tech. As I progressed to nibbling on black downhill runs (Vancouver North Shore and Squamish), friends and just random people on trails keep telling me my front fork is holding me back.

What's the simplest way to upgrade this setup? Should I get Fox 36 150mm and standard-size Float X shock (just for a good measure) and call it a day? If so, do I just get normal Fox stuff or should I look for the custom Orbea tune (if so how?) Or should I try to get a bit more travel while I'm at it (e.g., 160mm front)? I don't want to mess with going mullet or other more involved modifications, though.

I'm an athletic but lightweight (70kg in gear) and risk-averse rider, so I don't do big jumps or very high speeds (but I try to keep up with those who do :) )

DeeP

Mar 24, 2022
USA
I have Rise LTD with Fox 34 140mm and DPS shock (COVID shortage buy - the only M-size e-bike that I could find that summer, LOL). I'm coming back to MTB after a 10-year break, so need some time to catch up with the new tech. As I progressed to nibbling on black downhill runs (Vancouver North Shore and Squamish), friends and just random people on trails keep telling me my front fork is holding me back.

What's the simplest way to upgrade this setup? Should I get Fox 36 150mm and standard-size Float X shock (just for a good measure) and call it a day? If so, do I just get normal Fox stuff or should I look for the custom Orbea tune (if so how?) Or should I try to get a bit more travel while I'm at it (e.g., 160mm front)? I don't want to mess with going mullet or other more involved modifications, though.

I'm an athletic but lightweight (70kg in gear) and risk-averse rider, so I don't do big jumps or very high speeds (but I try to keep up with those who do :) )
160mm Fox 38 or Zeb wirh Fox Float X or Super Deluxe Ultimate with offset bushings would all be big upgrades. The MTeam spec 150mm Fox36 and DPX2 is a sweet set up too.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
I'm an athletic but lightweight (70kg in gear) and risk-averse rider
You are pretty light and sounds like your not super aggressive, so fork stiffness might not be a big issue for you.
Fox36 (150mm possibly 160mm) would be a great upgrade. Possibly the shock, I am really impressed with the Float X on my rise.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
Personally I would go for a pike/lyrik and a super deluxe rather than the fox stuff, only due to the poor QA that most of my fox gear has had ( numerous warranty issues with rear shocks)

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.

MaxLTV,

My 2021 M20 came with a similar setup, i.e. Fox 34 140mm travel Grip and Fox DPS shock. I now have a little over 3,000 miles on the bike and have taken it on everything from black, double black to red trails.

I discovered after only a few rides that the Fox 34 140mm fork and Fox DPS shock were substandard for anything other than cross country flow trail with some occasional small chunk thrown in. When riding the bike, I experienced bottoming out to the point of breaking the lower protective cover. I found the low front travel not up to par on steep technical downs. The Rise has a very low bottom bracket height and I was pedal striking like crazy in the rock gardens, step ups, etc.

I upgraded the bike with a Fox 36 FIT4 150mm travel fork. I'd had the fork from a previous bike build. I modified the fork by increasing the travel to 160mm. This can be easily and cheaply done by replacing the air shaft assembly. This made a significant improvement in the bike's handling and performance on technical downs and the increased travel had little to no effect on the Rise's climbing ability. I was no longer bottoming out, except in the gnarliest of rock gardens.

I've always felt that the Fox 36 fork rides a little harsh on the top end. The bike would tend to walk sideways on small trail chatter when at high speed. I say this as comparison to the plush and planted feel that a coil style fork gives the front wheel. I replaced the air shaft piston with a Vorsprung Luftkappe negative air piston. This made a significant improvement in handling at higher speeds when encountering wash boarded or small rock covered trail. The Luftkappe allows you to maintain a higher pressure for the big hits and jumps, while also making the first 20-30% of fork travel very plush, much like a coil fork. This gives the front wheel a very planted feel at high speed and when hitting berms.

I replaced the Fox DPS rear shock with a Fox Float X. On longish technical downs, the Fox DPS would heat up to where it was too hot to touch. I am a heavier rider, 6'01", 195 pounds. On my pedal bikes, I've used a Fox DPX2. The DPX2 is a good shock, however I find that it's not ideally suited for heavier riders. To reach correct sag, I had to run a overly high pressure. When I experimented with volume spacers, I felt it created a harsh ride. The Fox Float X has a different design and is more suited for heavier riders. I'm able to run a much lower sag pressure and it significantly improved rear performance on the Rise.

My last "Top Three" improvement to the Rise was swapping to a shorter crank arm. The Rise comes stock with 170mm crank arms. When you couple this with a very low bottom bracket height, you get pedal strikes in the chunk and on step ups. I replaced the 170mm crank arms with 165mm crank arms. This eliminated 99% of pedal strikes. Interestingly, I also experienced a "Perceived" power increase on steep technical climbs. I'm not sure why this is so. If I had to guess, I'd say the smaller crank arm allows me to spin at a higher cadence, which the EP8 motor likes??? As a side note, if I had to do it over, I'd buy a 160mm crank arm instead.

Lastly, my buddies also have Rises. Each has differing suspension configurations to suit their style of riding. A few are riding Fox or Push coil rear shocks and really like the performance of the coil. Several are also using offset bushings in the rear to increase travel. Several are running a RockShox Lyric fork. The Lyric has 35mm stanchions and is slightly lighter than the Fox 36. They tell me the Lyric has a more plush feel than the Fox 36.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Have a 2022 Trek Rail 5 500Wh which has the original frame, motor, chainring, cranks, derailleur, rotors, and calipers. Everything else has been upgraded. Had a 2021 Trek Fuel EX so swapped the nice upgrades from that to the Rail, then carried on with upgrading the Rail. Now pretty much how I like it.

Last edited:

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Here is my Rise in it's final form.....for now. I tried a 2022 Fox 38 Grip2. and a 2023 RS Zeb Ultimate before deciding that neither feels as good as my Trust Performance Linkage fork. 178mm travel up front, 160 rear w/a DHX2 216x63. The Rest of the specs in my Signature. The Trust linkage travel fork rolls through rocks so well that all other forks feel harsh to me. The action is similar to what High Pivots do to the rear suspension. I'll soon know that well as I'm building a Deviate Claymore soon. It'll have a High Pivot rear and a Trust out front.

IMG_3868.jpg

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
Here is my Rise in it's final form.....for now. I tried a 2022 Fox 38 Grip2. and a 2023 RS Zeb Ultimate before deciding that neither feels as good as my Trust Performance Linkage fork. 178mm travel up front, 160 rear w/a DHX2 216x63. The Rest of the specs in my Signature. The Trust linkage travel fork rolls through rocks so well that all other forks feel harsh to me. The action is similar to what High Pivots do to the rear suspension. I'll soon know that well as I'm building a Deviate Claymore soon. It'll have a High Pivot rear and a Trust out front.

View attachment 99925
Does the fork linkage give a linear compression? Same as a telescoping fork?

What's the effective head angle? The main part of the fork looks mega slack but I'm guessing the wheel travel is not parallel to the chunky bit (technical term, obvs)

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Does the fork linkage give a linear compression? Same as a telescoping fork?

What's the effective head angle? The main part of the fork looks mega slack but I'm guessing the wheel travel is not parallel to the chunky bit (technical term, obvs)
Yes, and has tokens to change ramp up like telescopic forks do as well. Head angle is exactly the same, axle is behind the stanchion so slackness is an illusion. Travel path is a rearward arc

BTTR

May 18, 2021
LX

View attachment 99925
Is the DHX2 216x63 a direct fit, or do you have to put offset bushings?

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
Is the DHX2 216x63 a direct fit, or do you have to put offset bushings?
Offset bushings are not required but I did test all 3 variations, 1 bushing/2bushings/no bushings and settled with 1 offset bushing as feeling was most balanced.

Last edited:

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Offset bushings are not required but I did test all 3 variations, 1 bushing/2bushings/no bushings and settled with 1 offset bushing as feeling most balanced.
BiGJZ74,

Could you go into more detail regarding what each bushing combination did in regards to handling? I would like to know more. Much appreciated.

Rod

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
52449711364_6da5d03a5c_c.jpg

Upgrades from MyO M10:
- Deity grips, handlebar, stem, saddle, pedals
- 5DEV 160mm cranks
- BERD TR30 wheels with Assegai EXO+ front / DHRII EXO rear with Cushcore XC
- Offset bushing hardware on shock (front)
- 160mm air spring on Fox 36 Grip2

Looking to:
- Mullet the bike. Possibly put a 160mm Fox 38 or RS ZEB. Coil shock.
- Upgrade the brakes. To either the Hayes Dominion A4 or Magura MT7. Leaning towards the Hayes.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Wow some nice wheels, mate has used Hayes Dominions A4 good brakes but bit fiddly to set up plus DOT fluid so always messier than mineral oil

iLuveKetchup

Dec 23, 2021
Big Apple
Wow some nice wheels, mate has used Hayes Dominions A4 good brakes but bit fiddly to set up plus DOT fluid so always messier than mineral oil
I run the A4s on my DH bike and it's been awesome! Impressive stopping power and consistent feel through out the pad life. Only thing I don't like is the limited mounts (integrated) for the shifter and dropper.

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
Popped in a 160mm airshaft in the fox 36 fork. They were starting to get noisy so I was keen to do a lower leg service, the airshaft side was bone dry! Also the lower headset bearing is cactus, so repacked it and ordering a replacement.
Quick ride with bike and liking the 10mm extra travel. Fork feels so much better and quiet with some oil in it! :)

1667450050243.png

cookie70

Mar 23, 2022
Central Coast, Australia
New saddle from chromag, big improvement on the previous saddle that was better then the OEM one :)

Having some issues with the dropper, getting a bit loose and alot of movement. Think I need to start looking at a new one. Any suggestions? I think this standard one is 150mm

1667721690437.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles