Rise Up - What are your upgrades?

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Hi all,

Would be interested to see what people are upgrading on their Rises, and why. A dangerous thread for my wallet I feel....

What I have done on my M10 Size XL:
  • Tyres: Maxxis Assegai Front and DHRII rear. Not fitted but ordered with bike as reviews said standard tyres were poor. Still at Bike shop, waiting for the.....
  • Range Extender - Bought with bike in mid-feb. Still no sign. Not ever needed it yet though!
  • Front Brake Disc - Swapped out 180mm Galfer for Hope 220mm and adapter for more bite. Straight swap and very pleased. +100g -£60.
  • Grips: Brendog Thick Deathgrips - Not a huge difference, but a more comfortable grip for me.
  • Garmin Top Tube mount - Can mount the Garmin 530 straight onto the steerer. Clean, light look.
  • Additional volume spacers for 36 Factory forks - Currently unfitted. Aiming to smooth the chatter but not bottom out on small jumps and drops. Not a big deal, so haven't bothered yet
  • Tubeless conversion - LBS did this as bike prep for the sale
  • Pedals - DMR Flats. Have always had SPDs but not missing them at all. Flats are kinder on my old knees for twisting, more reassuring through sketchy technical bits and while those around me clatter around to get clipped in before a run, I'm straight in there! - Paired with some FiveTens for maximum grip
  • Cheap toolbox waterbottle - Short rides I don't need water, long rides I take a backpack/Camelback, so I keep my spare tube, levers, Stans tubeless repair, CO2 cannister in there
  • OneUp Pump and Multitool - Really good pump. Totally overspec'd and perhaps in hindsight unnecessarily heavy - but a lovely bit of kit and multitool.
  • Front Mudguard - RRP Proguard - Large f. Mounts to back of forks with screws, not zip ties. Ugly, but stops my face getting covered in sh*t.
  • Invisiframe - LBS didn't want to do it, so I fitted it - Takes HOURS when all I wanted to do was ride my brand new toy. Obviously worth it for the long run, but needs patience. Full gloss version for my bike.
What I'm thinking about:
  • AXS Rear derailler - One less wire. Simple install. Still split on swankiness vs another battery to charge.
  • Saddle - People mention the Ergon saddles, but I've never found this standard saddle uncomfortable so far....
  • AXS dropper - Well, since I've started.... but then have to find a place for the little LED block to go, possibly along the handlebar, but it's grown on me as I've got used to the mode colours, and it's useful having it out front.
  • Aftermarket Fork inserts - My wrists are a bit knackered from falling a lot of motorbikes. I rode a friend's DVO and it was smooth like butter on the trail. I would like to try to get the Fox 36 Factory to be more like that using insertable widgets into the fork leg. No idea if that will have the desired effect.
How about other Rise owners or those 'expecting' - What's planned?

Bike.jpg

jim0905

Dec 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
  • Tyres: Dissector swapped to the back and a DHF Maxx Grip DH casing on the front
  • Range Extender - Coming next week (allegedly)
  • Front Brake Disc - 203mm Ice Tech I had lying about, had to buy a mount
  • Grips: Burgtec Minnaars
  • Tubeless conversion - Did it myself
  • Pedals - Burgtec MK5s pinched from my full sus
  • Front Mudguard - New Fox one that bolts on
  • Invisiframe - Dropped on a kit on ebay for £46 and fitted myself

Andyzim

Apr 21, 2021
Uk
I'm waiting for my medium coal blue M20, expected end of this month. In the meantime I've got this little lot waiting to fit:

Shimano sc-e7000 display
Nukeproof Horizon 25mm rise (copper/gold) bars
Spank Spoon 43mm stem
DMR deathgrips (thin, flangeless, soft)
Maxxis Minion DHF exo+ 2.5" for the front (will move Dissector to the rear)
Invisiframe (full gloss)
DMR Vault V2 pedals
Brake caliper adapter for 203mm disc (disc not ordered yet, not sure if I need center lock or 6 bolt)
RRP enduroguard (large)
I'll run the tyres tubeless too

eztiger

Apr 9, 2019
Guildford
  • Tyres: Dissector swapped to the back and a DHF Front
  • Fork: Upgraded to Fox 36 Factory (came with a 34)
  • Shock: Upgraded to Fox DPX2 (came with DPS performance)
  • Bars: Upgraded to Carbon Renthal
  • Wheels: Upgraded to DT Swiss XMC Carbon All Mountain
  • Cassette: Upgraded to XTR
  • Pedals - Crank Bros Mallet E
  • Front Mudguard - RFF
  • Invisiframe - Yes
So I've basically converted my m20 into an upgraded m-Team.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
  • Tires: 2.4 Rekon rear, 2.6 Rekon Front. Also built up a second wheelset and purchased Forekasters for mud days
  • Range Extender - Ordered but canceling - won't need it
  • Front Brake Disc - Swapped out front for 203mm Shimano XT and rear for 180mm Shimano XT
  • Grips: Ergon GE1
  • Display : Added SC-EM800 display
  • Mode Switch : Updated to SW-EM800-L
  • Tubeless conversion : Done
  • Seatpost :I don't like droppers, so replaced it with a Next SL carbon post. Removed dropper lever/cable
  • Saddle : replaced with WTB Rocket V Team, medium width
  • Pedals : XTR PD-9120
  • Front Mudguard : Fox basic flexible mud guard initially. I've 3D printed a custom mudguard for the Fox 36 that I will be installing shortly
  • Other : Custom orange cable retainers

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
M10 now some months overdue...

SRAM Code brakes (have never got on with Shimano) 200/180
Minion DHF for the front (Dissector to be moved to rear)
SQLab30X 12 degree sweep bar (have been meaning to try a wider sweep bar for a while - makes sense to do it while the RF bar is unused and I can sell it if I keep the SQLab)
Renthal APEX stem (SQlab bars only come in 31.8)
Selle Italia SLR X-cross saddle (ride some version of the SLR on all my bikes).
Problem Solvers thing to fit XT shifter to SRAM brakes
Bontrager dropper lever (fits directly to SRAM brakes and cheaper than an adaptor for the shimano lever)
Grips - planning on some death grips but not sure what colour is going to match the 'gold' on the Coal Blue bike.
RRP Proguard front. Not going to need the Mudhugger for the rear until next winter now...

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
  • GX asx wireless transmission
    Tyres: Dissector front and rear
  • Range Extender - Coming if it ever does !!!
  • Front Brake Disc - 203mm Ice Tech
  • Rear brake disc 180 ice tech
  • Tubeless conversion
  • Pedals - DMR V12
  • Front Mudguard - RRP bolts on
  • Invisiframe fitted including forks
  • Saddle swaped for more comfort Bel Air 3
  • Garmin top tube mount

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Warning: weight weenie ahead :) I started with a 2021 LTD all stock.

What I've done:
  • Removed stock saddle, replaced with Specialized Phenom Pro Elaston; that stock saddle is ridiculously light (~100g), but too narrow for me
  • Removed foam grips, installed Ergon GA2
  • Removed QR Axle, installed Kabolt (this saves 78g!)
  • Removed Race Face stem and bars, installed Ritchey 30° stem and Enve M6 bars; I have back problems, I need the bars pretty tall, this is stuff I had laying around
  • RideWrap "Tailored Protection" kit (installed by a shop, I had NO desire to do it myself)
  • Installed Specialized SWAT CC tool in head tube
  • Removed stock tires (Rekons), I have an old design Specialized Purgatory 2.6 up front and the new one in 2.3 in the rear
  • Installed Shimano PD-M959 pedals; I've had these since 2004 and never serviced them, seriously bomb-proof but they are very small (that's what she said...)
  • Installed a QuadLock outfront phone mount (but flipped around so it sits over the stem)
It's 38.4 lbs as above (17.4 kg).

What I plan to do:
  • Newmen Evolution SL 318.2 stem (-56g)
  • Beast Components Riser Bar 35 (-5g)
  • Specialized Roval Control SL wheels (-315g)
  • KS LEV CI 175mm dropper (-50g)
  • Shimano RT-MT800 and RT-EM810 rotors (+60g)
  • Xpedo Baldwin Ti pedals (-54g)
  • Range extender; mainly for group rides, the built-in battery is working well for my solo rides, which tend to be shorter
So I should be able to drop about a pound. It's not much, but it's mine :p

I also installed a Shimano SC-E7000 computer, but decided I like the ST Ride app better, so I'm just using my phone for a display. I already ride with my phone anyway and having both turned out to be a PITA to mount.

By the way, I have found the XTR shifting to be absolutely flawless. Really impressive. I haven't had a Shimano drivetrain since ~2015.

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
I wanted to share a couple of other tidbits about the Rise LTD and I don't think warrant a separate thread. It's pretty clear Orbea was chasing the Levo SL hard in terms of weight. But there's also some strange decisions, the super heavy QR axle being the first one (at least they included both).
  • The stock rotors, Galfer DB103W, are just the Galfer road bike rotor (DB102W) but upsized to 180mm. They're very light (~106g). But c'mon guys, it's a mountain bike! :p In all fairness they seem to work fine so far
  • The rear axle appears to be the road bike axle but stretched out to Boost spacing. It looks a lot like this one: REAR AXLE 12x165(2P1.0x15)LITE. It seems a bit flexy to be honest, the brake rotor rubs the pads depending which way you lean the bike.
  • The rear 2.4 Rekon is 100g 85g heavier than the front 2.6; both are EXO :unsure: They should have just used two of the 2.6's...
  • Foam grips? Really?!
  • The 125mm Fox Transfer is 532g, which is decently light, but again, c'mon guys it's a mountain bike. Even the XL gets a 125...
  • The Race Face Next SL wheels are surprisingly NOT very light. 1555g for a 25mm internal width wheelset. I would expect 30mm for that weight (the Race Face R 31 wheels are 1765g).

Last edited:

Smythey

Sep 28, 2019
Norwich
What are the crank boots for in the last photo? Did you change the cranks? (is that even possible?)
The crank boots are raceface ones they are not required are more the rise already have E13 crank boots
in the picture missing enve carbon bars
Changing fox36 to EXT forks ?

aefren

Mar 15, 2021
San Diego, CA
Purchased a M20 back in March but after a few rides I decided to upgrade the suspension. Luckily, I found someone on PinkBike selling a Fox 36 Grip2 and DPX2 coming off a Orbea Rise M10.

Upgrades - - >
Fork: Fox 36 Grip 2
Shock: DPX2
Stem: I9 A35 50mm
Handlebar: Yeti 780mm
Decals: Stckrd for fork and shock
Dropper post: 175 mm Kashima
Tires: Front DHR / Rear Dissector “tubeless”
Invisiframe
Bottlcage: Fidlock
Grips: Ergon GA2
Saddle: Ergon SMC Sport Gel
Pedals: Shimano XT

2D52752D-7295-4C3B-85CA-D329AED012C3.jpeg

F0A39997-BDFD-4520-A44E-2DB53067E838.jpeg

9733EE5A-EE71-4280-941B-E8C6AD74B314.jpeg

JDA

Apr 7, 2021
Sydney, Australia
I have an M10 MYO on order, upgrades with the order were:

• Race Face R 31 carbon wheels.
  • Minion tyres front and rear, I'm not sure on the exact specs.

When the bike arrives I plan to change the grips, add some composite flat pedals and add some custom decals.

After I ride it I'll decide on upgraded front rotor size, possible BikeYoke dropper post if the Orbea one sucks.

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
  • The stock rotors, Galfer DB103W, are just the Galfer road bike rotor (DB102W) but upsized to 180mm. They're very light (~106g). But c'mon guys, it's a mountain bike! :p In all fairness they seem to work fine so far

What's actually different about them? One rotors pretty much the same as another as far as I've been able to tell from 20 years of riding discs

• The rear axle appears to be the road bike axle but stretched out to Boost spacing. It looks a lot like this one: REAR AXLE 12x165(2P1.0x15)LITE. It seems a bit flexy to be honest, the brake rotor rubs the pads depending which way you lean the bike.
Any suggestions for a replacement?

• The rear 2.4 Rekon is 100g heavier than the front 2.6; both are EXO :unsure: They should have just used two of the 2.6's...
  • Foam grips? Really?!
  • The 125mm Fox Transfer is 532g, which is decently light, but again, c'mon guys it's a mountain bike. Even the XL gets a 125...
The tyre thing is odd - is that actually weighed? sounds like a typo on a spec sheet. Foam grips are a classic weight cheat. and I get the short post on the 'headline' bike - the spec on that one is obviously done for a publicity weight.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
  • Tyres: Dissector swapped to the back and a 2.5" Minion DHF EXO+ on the front w/Tannus Armour puncture protection in both
  • Range Extender - When I get my wife' Rise and we will share it at first
  • Grips: ERGON GFR1
  • Pedals - One Up Composite
  • Front Mudguard - FOX zip tied
  • Invisiframe - Professional install
  • Wheels - WeAreOne Composites Carbon 30mm inner diameter w/Industry 9 1:1 hubs

Last edited:

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
What's actually different about them? One rotors pretty much the same as another as far as I've been able to tell from 20 years of riding discs

I appreciate the sentiment. Sounds like you've never run up against thermal limits. On my Levo I cooked the stock SRAM rotors pretty badly. I'm using Shimano Freeza rotors now with much better results. Also thicker rotors offer similar thermal benefits, same for larger diameter rotors. But if your brakes aren't fading, it's a non-issue.

As for the Galfers: they are the same thickness as a typical mountain bike rotor (1.8mm) so I assume the weight savings comes from slimming everything down. Which means less material, therefore less thermal/cooling capacity and more flex.

Coincidentally they faded badly in one spot on my ride today, but I think it was the pads that overheated, the rotors look fine. It was a fast fire road descent with loose, flat corners, so I'd put a lot of heat into them. After a few mins flat riding they were fine again. Nonetheless I'm going to give these pads a try.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

I don't think all Rise's come with the "LITE" axle, just the LTD. So presumably we can buy the "regular" one that goes in all the other bikes? If you look in the manual it lists both options:

1619127638586.png

• LITE = X2060000
  • Regular = X2050000
The tyre thing is odd - is that actually weighed? sounds like a typo on a spec sheet.

Both. I checked Maxxis' website first, then weighed them myself when doing the tubeless conversion. The difference between the two, besides the size, is the compound. The 2.6 is Maxx Terra, the 2.4 is dual compound.

Isn't the rear an EXO+? It was on my M10

Maybe the 2.4 is mislabeled and is actually EXO+? It definitely says EXO on the sidewall and the matching Maxxis listing says EXO on their website. ?‍♂️

EDIT: Just for the record, claimed vs actual weights:

BrandModelPartSizeClaimedActual
MaxxisRekon EXOTB0001770029 x 2.4800880
MaxxisRekon EXO Maxx TerraTB9696200029 x 2.6780795

Last edited:

b33k34

Apr 15, 2021
UK
I appreciate the sentiment. Sounds like you've never run up against thermal limits. On my Levo I cooked the stock SRAM rotors pretty badly. I'm using Shimano Freeza rotors now with much better results. Also thicker rotors offer similar thermal benefits, same for larger diameter rotors. But if your brakes aren't fading, it's a non-issue.
As for the Galfers: they are the same thickness as a typical mountain bike rotor (1.8mm) so I assume the weight savings comes from slimming everything down. Which means less material, therefore less thermal/cooling capacity and more flex.
No, I've cooked brakes - just never narrowed it down to the rotors (though my Hope floaters had got to about <1.2mm when I replaced them and I'd concur that less material to dump the heat becomes an issue, though interestingly floating rotors separate the braking surface from the carrier so might shed heat less efficiently anyway? haven't really thought about it too much - normal thing is to blame an over due bleed)

My solution was to up the size of the front disc when I replaced it. Will be interested to hear how you find the uberbike pads - iv'e got some of those unfitted. The backing on the actual pad is super thin which didn't inspire confidence. I've had mixed results with their pads in the past and gone back to OEM spec on my Hope (which are actually Galfer) and SRAM.

Pretty certain there was something in the initial press for the Rise about the tyres (or at least some of the tyres) being an exclusive for Orbea and not available retail. I'd put money on the rear being the heavier Exo+ casing - that would make sense given the weight and compound.

BobR

Apr 14, 2021
Florida
No, I've cooked brakes - just never narrowed it down to the rotors (though my Hope floaters had got to about <1.2mm when I replaced them and I'd concur that less material to dump the heat becomes an issue, though interestingly floating rotors separate the braking surface from the carrier so might shed heat less efficiently anyway? haven't really thought about it too much - normal thing is to blame an over due bleed)

My solution was to up the size of the front disc when I replaced it. Will be interested to hear how you find the uberbike pads - iv'e got some of those unfitted. The backing on the actual pad is super thin which didn't inspire confidence. I've had mixed results with their pads in the past and gone back to OEM spec on my Hope (which are actually Galfer) and SRAM.

Pretty certain there was something in the initial press for the Rise about the tyres (or at least some of the tyres) being an exclusive for Orbea and not available retail. I'd put money on the rear being the heavier Exo+ casing - that would make sense given the weight and compound.
The Dissector is a Orbea only from the the Orbea Rep told me.

Chicane

Nov 11, 2020
SoCal
Sure its the Rekon that's an Orbea exclusive? Rekons don't come in EXO+ normally
Yep, That’s what I read and have seen in many stock build pics. XC/trail tires don’t generally come in EXO+. Sounds like the sales Rep was a bit misinformed.

DanMcDan

Mar 18, 2021
Torquay
M20 Medium,

saddle: WTB Volt (have the same on all my bikes apart from the DH bike)
Tyres:std at the mo (have a years sponsorship from Hutchinson, just waiting on delivery, will be griffus front and rear)
Wheels: Hunt enduro wide with Rimpact inserts (might have gone for the Trail Wide in hindsight)
Forks: The std 34s are holding up quite well, was thinking about going to Pikes but holding off at the moment
Shock: Monarch Plus rc3 210x60 gives 152 rear travel (off a 2016 trek slash) have also got a cane creek inline coil but not yet tried
Seatpost: std but I do have a Magura Vyron wireless to fit, just deciding where to fit the button.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles