Mission Control REQUEST FOR “OVER THE AIR” FW UPDATE BETA TESTERS (Levo/Kenevo gen 2)

EME

MUPPET
Subscriber
Aug 14, 2020
Zug
While that would certainly be a powerful option, if it were offered I would also want the ability to do that with a Mac. It's annoying to have to dust off some old Windows machine just to run a piece of software. Many companies do it but IMO "Windows-only" is just as unnecessary and outdated as Android or iOS only.

I can guess that a couple of reasons why they are not are: 1) there is more that can go wrong when they don't control the entire sequence and allow the user/updater more access to the process. And 2) it massively opens up the system to reverse engineering and manipulation. While there is certainly some exposure with any user applied updates, attempting to retain reasonable control is understandable. Sure the current shop system is technically around, but there are legal and business motivations that are not present with end users.
May I ask why you think its Windows - only? OTA is usually available via an APP, phone-APP or any HTML5 I/face capability. Did I miss something ?

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
May I ask why you think its Windows - only? OTA is usually available via an APP, phone-APP or any HTML5 I/face capability. Did I miss something ?
Sorry for the confusion. I don't think there will be any relationship with Windows for the OTA updates. I was referring to the laptop based software that is often used to update firmware for all sorts of devices (phones, IOT devices, etc.)

Reactions: EME

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I think with anything like this there's always going to be some risk that somethings been overlooked - hence why we test things.

However, I think in this case, whilst the technology/ability has been there for some time, Specialized obviously decided not to implement it because they were no doubt worried that people might break/brick things. Also - with anything like this, once you open the software up to be able to update the firmware remotely using a third party device, it's easier for someone to hack the code and then theoretically start creating and downloading their own versions of the motor firmware - which will no doubt lead to broken motors.

One big difference to Shimano and Giants implementation is revealed in SRC's comment :

"We'll keep the exact details of update content and tests for those willing to participate, but it goes without saying that a) we've tested already and are satisfied that the process is robust and b) that any BETA user can roll-back firmware during the BETA test period."

This would suggest that because of the way the firmware is applied/installed, what it updates, it doesn't update/corrupt the equivalent of the "BIOS" (basic input output system) - the most simplistic bit of software/firmware running on the bike, which in this case also gives access to bluetooth. So if you do an update and it doesn't work for some reason - you haven't bricked the bike. You've just installed some faulty software on the motor or the install went wrong for some reason. Fortunately, you'll still have access to the bike via your phone/tablet so you'll be able to roll back the firmware update or update a different version. It does look like the roll-back option may be removed once this is out of beta, by then presumably they'll be confident they have a system which works properly and there aren't any ways for things to go wrong .. in theory :)
Some, or all of what you say, is possible, of course. It's a pity that you're all left to assume. They would have to "sell" this to me, as in convince me that it was a good thing for me to do.

Last edited:

jaggysnake

Jul 5, 2019
uk
About further information on said activity ie

App update
Firmware to test
What to do if it goes wrong
Etc

RCDallas

May 28, 2019
Italy
OTA testing started today. As one of the testers I updated to the newest Mission Control app then updated my TCU and motor to the latest FW...from 6.1.0 to 7.3.6.

The update took less than 7 min and worked flawless. We will be testing a new motor FW that addresses the walk mode issues in a week or so. Looks like the we are getting what we hoped for with OTA updates now a reality!

laustin956

Oct 3, 2019
uk
Update went fine today will be trying the new motor firmware in a week so will let you know

Last edited:

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
I was too late to join in but fingers crossed it gets past beta testing so us mere mortals can do it soon - it will save me a 300 mile round trip to the LBS that i hsve been putting off efen though i would like the peace of mind from the new firmware.

Bluishblue

Mar 15, 2020
Italy - Rome
Why you don't release a PC app for unbrick the TCU or for programming it by user? It could be the same app used by dealers.
All Levo's users have Mission Control and a Specialized account.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Why you don't release a PC app for unbrick the TCU or for programming it by user? It could be the same app used by dealers.
All Levo's users have Mission Control and a Specialized account.
There is a version, but it only runs on the "Hannah Montana Linux" Operating system.... ok there isn't really, but you can see one problem from that alone. Unless you're a in depth Miley Cyrus fan and nothing else in the world matters.

It would also make it far far easier for 3rd parties to write their own updates as it would open some doors to the security.

There would also be the "stupid" problem. Lets say 50% of the population are stupid. That means you're letting millions of stupid people plug a cable in and access the last safe way dealers have to fix things if something unfortunate has happened.... Eventually some of them will work out how to break it :) but it will be permanently broken.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles