Reign E+ 2022

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
And another information concerning the problems with software/hardware. It seems I have actually fixed the issue for now.

While working I was thinking abolut trying out the other input for the handlebar remote on the cable of the ControlGO unit. Did not work. Then for whatever reason I switched it on (all LEDs lighting up white), could not switch it off.. After it shut down by itself, switched it back on (Battery LED line white, mode middle lighting up in blue for dynamic mode). I pulled of the ControlGO top tube unit while switched on and reconnected the cord. ControlGO unit worked normally after that. Modes can be switched even with the handlebar remote.

thought I had it, but it switched off again. After turning it on, white leds again. Next cycle with blue LED, pulled it of again and reconnected it.. Connected via bluetooth APP and it actually showed an update that was not there before. Installed the update and after that it works flawlessly. It does switch off after a while of standing around (I guess thats normal?!), but can be turned back on without an issue.

Sooo TL;DR: When your Remote cycles between all white LEDs and White blue, disconnect the Ride Control GO unit while in the blue cycle and instantly reconnect it. check the Giant App if there is an update and install (or probably reinstall the update). I guess in my case the update did not go through correctly and hard disconnecting it from power seems to fix it for a moment.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
And another information concerning the problems with software/hardware. It seems I have actually fixed the issue for now.

While working I was thinking abolut trying out the other input for the handlebar remote on the cable of the ControlGO unit. Did not work. Then for whatever reason I switched it on (all LEDs lighting up white), could not switch it off.. After it shut down by itself, switched it back on (Battery LED line white, mode middle lighting up in blue for dynamic mode). I pulled of the ControlGO top tube unit while switched on and reconnected the cord. ControlGO unit worked normally after that. Modes can be switched even with the handlebar remote.

thought I had it, but it switched off again. After turning it on, white leds again. Next cycle with blue LED, pulled it of again and reconnected it.. Connected via bluetooth APP and it actually showed an update that was not there before. Installed the update and after that it works flawlessly. It does switch off after a while of standing around (I guess thats normal?!), but can be turned back on without an issue.

Sooo TL;DR: When your Remote cycles between all white LEDs and White blue, disconnect the Ride Control GO unit while in the blue cycle and instantly reconnect it. check the Giant App if there is an update and install (or probably reinstall the update). I guess in my case the update did not go through correctly and hard disconnecting it from power seems to fix it for a moment.
Giant should contract with you as eeb consultant... 👍

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Ouch, you can ride it for sure but tape it up so nothing can get into the connections if it's dry. I mean Sahara Desert dry. I wouldn't even do that myself. If it's wet, It's NOT ok.

sprousaTM

Mar 4, 2022
Germany
Got the first ride in yesterday. About 16kilometers and 620meters vertical.. Most of those were pushing my son up the hills on dynamic or max support mode.

Drained battery about 40% which is good I think. Would add up to around 40km and 1500 vertical.

Motor seems punchy but seems to like higher cadence better than lower one. I like it a lot though.

I am actually blown away by the entry level rockshox domain r with only low speed rebound adjustment and the fox dps damper. The maestro backend paired with the entry lvl damper works really good. Got it spot on first try on rebound and sag.
Domain on the front is plush until medium impacts and on top. I am really pleased with the first ride. Was thinking about an upgrade before I got it. Riding a ZEB ultimate with an x2 perf. Elite on my forbidden dreadnought which sure feels better but right now I really cannot see myself buying another damper for the reign. Maybe the rc2.1 damper for the domain.
On hard hits it does feel really harsh, but those don't happen all that often on our trails.

emtbeast

Jan 10, 2022
Slovenia
Hey guys here is my (trying to ride with as much fun as possible but extending the range) ride from today.

I rode with my buddy that has the 500Wh previous Reign E+0 derestricted...he had to finish earlier(family stuff) then me.
For comparison he drained the full battery down just like me to 10%, did 45,1km with an altitude gain of 1166m.

Just putting it out there if someone finds it useful if not also good...let it be 👍

So on downhills and flat asphalt I used almost no assistance...there is not a lot of places on my trails where assistance is useful as they are pretty steep and I still like the feel of pedaling a bio bike. I also feel it's easier to pedal the bike on flat at 24kph without the stupid assistance cutting out/in...

I love to do a workout on my bike not just have fun, so I used the appropriate assistance modes to keep my HR high for a 40y old guy(average 144, max 189). I used all modes except 5 which I think it's overkill for most situations.

What suprised me the most were the two full on sprints on a fire road and a path. I gave all I had on these, almost pushing at the bike at the 25km/h limit, the battery consumption in both cases was 10%

I did quite a lot of riding in A mode to get the feel of it and must say I am getting to like it a bit more, anyway it does need a little more refinement though.

Outside temps today were around 15° to 21°C
My weight respectable 89kg fully geared up...
My bike full stock E+1 625...except a few cosmetic changes...
Tire pressure 2,2 front 2,1 back
Start with Full Battery 100%

The main ride stats:
Saddle time 5h14min
Ride distance 63,5km
Ride altitude gain 1745m
Battery consumption 90%
Cal Consumption 2945

In the photo you can see the local hills described in the last segments and across town is the local mountain(UCI DH World Cup location) with a height of 1042m where I did most of the riding.

I also divided the ride into segments with checkpoints where I gathered the status.

Checkpoint 1 at 9,6 km 99% Battery

Segment info
9,6 km 63m alt. gain Flat asphalt Assistance only at slight uphill and cross wind
Used 1% on mode 1
Meeting Point

Checkpoint 2 at 29km 51% Battery

Segment info
19,4km 972m alt. gain Mostly Uphill mixed terrain in the woods
Used 48% on mode 3,2,4,1,A,Push Assist(time in mode in this order)
Top of the Mountain

Checkpoint 3 at 39,5km 49% Battery

Segment info
10,5km 60m alt. gain Downhill & few Uphills on Mtb Trails and fire roads
Used 2% on mode 2

Checkpoint 4 at 41,6km 39% Battery

Segment info
2,1km 168m alt. gain Full Sprint Fire road
Used 10% on mode A,3

Checkpoint 5 at 47,2km 33% Battery

Segment info
5,6km 163m alt. gain Downhill & few Uphills on Mtb Trails and fire roads
Used 6% on mode 2,3
Lunch time

Checkpoint 6 at 53,6km 29% Battery

Segment info
44m alt. gain Across Town Windy Used 4% on Mode 1

Checkpoint 7 at 55,1km 19% Battery

Segment info
1,5km 87m alt. gain Full Sprint trail path Used 10% on mode 3,2
First cramps

Checkpoint 8(Home) at 63,5 km 10% Battery

Segment info
8,6km 188m alt. gain Local hills and recreation areas(up and down)
Used 9% on mode 3,2,A,Push Assist

20220327_222102.jpg

20220327_175514.jpg

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
A few weeks in and many spin completed a few thoughts (E=1):

Can't tell any difference between Turbo and Auto mode.
Setting PB's DH with relative ease, still not flat out on it yet.
Build quality seems great, everything solid after a few weeks hard enough riding.
Sore hands. 38's feel plush but getting sore hands, maybe its the braking you have to do to slow it down, thin grips and gloves, not sure but would like to sort that out.
Mine has been 100% reliable so far, a couple of friends not so lucky, one had a new gateway fitted water a few hundred km. Solved all their issues.
Replaced tyres with Assegai (F) and DHF (R), both Max grip. Phenomenal traction, couldn't be happier with that combo.
See no need to change anything else so far.

Watch this space.

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
maxx gripp front and rear!! is it slippery where you are? i'm thrilled with the 38 personally. maybe consider different grips. the Deity Supracush are a favourite.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
maxx gripp front and rear!! is it slippery where you are? i'm thrilled with the 38 personally. maybe consider different grips. the Deity Supracush are a favourite.

Plenty of mud and roots here, and as rolling resistance is not an issue why not go full hog! Also massive grip when dry, savage combo. I will look into those grips, cheers.

Mikects

Feb 27, 2022
Auckland, New Zealand
Latest MBR magazine suggests taking tokens out of front and rear - I took 2 out of the 38 a few weeks back and it made a significant difference. Also suggests torquing up the front axel with 0 air pressure in the fork to ensure the bushings are fully aligned - will try that before the next ride. He also reckons the 2.6 DHF isnt as grippy as the 2.5 - i havent really noticed a problem with the front but still want to swap out the rear HR2 - still not sure whether to chuck a DHR or Dissector - 2.4s on???

Last edited:

Banksay

Nov 3, 2021
Arbroath, Scotland
Anyone having already experience with this specific VOLspeed for the Syncdrive Pro2?

Just saw that yesterday, think it's only been out a couple of weeks. Don't have one, but now one is available I have the dilemma of should I, or shouldn't I? I definitely want the advantages of derestriction, especially on some flat-ish forest tracks local to me where the limiter kicks in way to early and spoils the fun, but it's the warranty issue on a new bike that concerns me, especially since a few seem to be having problems.

eRide86

Mar 31, 2022
Germany
Just saw that yesterday, think it's only been out a couple of weeks. Don't have one, but now one is available I have the dilemma of should I, or shouldn't I? I definitely want the advantages of derestriction, especially on some flat-ish forest tracks local to me where the limiter kicks in way to early and spoils the fun, but it's the warranty issue on a new bike that concerns me, especially since a few seem to be having problems.
I wrote an e-mail and ask about traceability. It is not traceable once removed.

eRide86

Mar 31, 2022
Germany
I've just bought it. I will be testing it next week :). Just not to disappoint you. I won't set it up to 45kmh. I will set it up to 36.
Not disappointed at all. I will not crank it up to the max. My former bike was a giant US model with 20mph/32kmh. Huge difference to 25kmh and Im really annoyed by it.

If any dealer would just update me to the US software it would be enough for me, but they decline due to legal reasons.

goroncy

May 1, 2020
Munich
Not disappointed at all. I will not crank it up to the max. My former bike was a giant US model with 20mph/32kmh. Huge difference to 25kmh and Im really annoyed by it.

If any dealer would just update me to the US software it would be enough for me, but they decline due to legal reasons.

Agree 100%. It's funny how completely arbitrary these numbers are. Europe rounded it to 25kmh and US to 20mph. The problem is that coincidentally 20mph is a speed that just makes much more sense. But EU (=German) law never had any sense. It's still very much legal to go on an analog bike 30, 35 or higher. Politics sucks monkey balls.

If you say that Giant won't do it for legal reasons it's still better than Bosch that doesn't even provide the dealers the tools to change the speed limit. They can change the wheel circumference a bit. That's it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles