Other RECALL TO REPAIR SELECT 1ST GEN LEVO/KENEVO BATTERY PACKS

jxj

Jun 28, 2018
Sierra California
Does anybody have the repair instructions and parts or materials that the dealers will use for this battery leak fix? I'm wondering if they have a new gasket or if they are just putting silicon sealant around the switch?

Manfred

Aug 5, 2020
Germany
To check the battery, look here:

Mar 22, 2021: ...
@Specialized Rider Care
I think, this manufacturing defect is well known at Specialized.
Why is there no recall or replacement of all gen.1- batteries?

@Specialized Rider Care
Your safety site says that only a limited number of batteries are affected by the recall. However I have two examples of batteries that are not recalled, yet the control pads are clearly loose. See pictures below. Is your safety site missing some battery PN or date codes?

B9JM2047F 2016/3/24 504Wh Levo (it was in a dealers testbike)

1622183071877.png

1622183034283.png

B9JE2064F C7 460Wh Levo

1622183324495.png

1622183409917.png

Last edited:

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
All Gen 1 batteries should have been recalled. Clearly the battery design and assembly process is not fit for purpose and I had this same discussion with Specialized UK 2 weeks ago.
My switch leaked and corroded the LEDs and my bike has never seen a power hose - something which Specialized mention is a likely cause of the fault.
All Gen 1 owners should have there battery recalled and checked for a fault and repaired / replaced accordingly.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
Does anybody have the repair instructions and parts or materials that the dealers will use for this battery leak fix? I'm wondering if they have a new gasket or if they are just putting silicon sealant around the switch?

Just some two part epoxy.

rocky yeung

May 1, 2020
Hong Kong
I never power hose the bike. just a few time flushing the minor mud off. My battery still gets muddy water leak in. Sooner I found it has LED problem and power cutting out then I discover there are leaks on the soft switch. I don't bother to contact Specialized cause they are totally not responding at all. Hopeless support. And now they finally know the consequence. If you want to know some of my water leaking findings, you may read my photos of the soft switch where the water leaks.

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
I have gen 1 battery from 2016 where the switch cover/control pad fell off as well. I was finally able to find a replacement cover from a specialized dealer in Nevada. No one else could help me..? The battery is still alive and kicking at this point :)

I also had a GEN one 2016 battery with only 16 charge cycles that had cells out of balance and would cut out at around 30% power. Specialized gave me a 40% discount on the purchase of a replacement battery.

Mark

Last edited:

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
My mates pretty pissed atm , 2/3 months ago he had battery issues and was told it needed replacing but out of warranty. He was sold one from a Berkshire shop for £800 including discount ? he later realised the SCAM so took it back and bought one on eBay ! He had had had enough of spesh so sold the bike a few weeks ago and now I sent him this post for a laugh !
He didn’t laugh ??

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
If your battery is not on the list and you need a replacement, you can use the Purchased assist scheme which means the battery costs about £540.

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
If your battery is not on the list and you need a replacement, you can use the Purchased assist scheme which means the battery costs about £540.
It’s a shame the Berkshire shop didn’t tell him that, it was 2months ago so before the recall but still !!

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
I have a couple of 17s that the battery health started dropping the first ride and later went to cell imbalance. The newer batteries are way better than the old ones. Maybe I'll drop the old batteries off at the LBS and see what they say :)

20210123_075032.jpg

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
@Specialized Rider Care
Your safety site says that only a limited number of battery packs are affected by the recall. However I have two examples of batteries that are not recalled, yet the control pads are clearly loose. See pictures below. Is your safety site missing some battery PN or date codes?

Hi @Manfred and thanks for the namecheck here. You are right - only some battery packs have been recalled. For the benefit of future readers of this post, please check our Safety Notices page as the source of truth - information to identify affected batteries and guide riders to next steps can be found there. Let me answer your specific question below...

Why are only certain battery packs recalled?
All our battery packs are custom designed and include a state-of-the-art and complex battery management system. For a thermal runaway event to occur, a number of specific conditions need to be present together (not just a loose control pad) making this a rare event. Those conditions could potentially be present in the battery packs included in this recall. If your battery pack does not fall within those parameters, it does not need to be repaired.

.... however
your examples clearly show batteries where the glue around the control pad has failed and are outside of the recall scope.

What if I have a battery that is not within the scope of this recall but has a control pad that does not appear fully sealed?
This should not cause concern, only the batteries listed at our Safety Notices page are at risk. However it makes good sense to seal any battery pack with a loose control pad. Contact your nearest authorized Specialized Turbo retailer - they will be able to check and seal it for you if necessary without cost.

So the the answer to your question is "NO, we're not missing battery PN or date codes" - only those battery packs at risk have been recalled.

Last edited:

zrcrazy

Mar 19, 2021
ND
T
Hi @Manfred and thanks for the namecheck here. You are right - only some battery packs have been recalled. For the benefit of future readers of this post, please check our Safety Notices page as the source of truth - information to identify affected batteries and guide riders to next steps can be found there. Let me answer your specific question below...

Why are only certain battery packs recalled?
All our battery packs are custom designed and include a state-of-the-art and complex battery management system. For a thermal runaway event to occur, a number of specific conditions need to be present together (not just a loose control pad) making this a rare event. Those conditions could potentially be present in the battery packs included in this recall. If your battery pack does not fall within those parameters, it does not need to be repaired.

.... however
your examples clearly show batteries where the glue around the control pad has failed and are outside of the recall scope.

What if I have a battery that is not within the scope of this recall but has a control pad that does not appear fully sealed?
This should not cause concern, only the batteries listed at our Safety Notices page are at risk. However it makes good sense to seal any battery pack with a loose control pad. Contact your nearest authorized Specialized Turbo retailer - they will be able to check and seal it for you if necessary without cost.

So the the answer to your question is "NO, we're not missing battery PN or date codes" - only those battery packs at risk have been recalled.
Thanks for the info... I know my battery got wet, no lower half led, battery will only charge to 90% and shuts off dies at 30% when riding. Still shows' 90% battery health on the app, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Specialized Rider Care

Official Specialized
Subscriber
Official Specialized
Jul 12, 2018
Thanks for the info... I know my battery got wet, no lower half led, battery will only charge to 90% and shuts off dies at 30% when riding. Still shows' 90% battery health on the app, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Firstly - please check our Safety Notices page to see if your battery is recalled. For anyone with a recalled battery, regardless of condition or performance, please make an appointment with an authorized retailer ASAP.

@zrcrazy if your battery is not recalled, you should still book an appointment to see a retailer as they can use diagnostic tools to understand the fault better. They will not be able to repair this (from your description) but depending on the age may be able to offer a warranty or assisted replacement (discounted).

zrcrazy

Mar 19, 2021
ND
Firstly - please check our Safety Notices page to see if your battery is recalled. For anyone with a recalled battery, regardless of condition or performance, please make an appointment with an authorized retailer ASAP.

@zrcrazy if your battery is not recalled, you should still book an appointment to see a retailer as they can use diagnostic tools to understand the fault better. They will not be able to repair this (from your description) but depending on the age may be able to offer a warranty or assisted replacement (discounted).
Thanks for the info

SLOTownLevo

Sep 19, 2020
San Luis Obispo
Sure would be nice if the batteries could be rebuilt/repaired. I suspect the one I have with cell out of balance issues only has a few bad cells. I can see the next criticism from the cycling community - e-bike riders are not only ruining trails, they’re ruining the environment with their not repairable batteries ?

I am aware other batteries with as much or more technology are able to be rebuilt/repaired. Honda rebuilt the battery of my 2001 Honda Insight and kept it rolling. We need to get in front of this before it becomes an environmental issue/hazard.

Mark.

Stumpy

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Staff member
Patreon
Jun 17, 2018
Essex, UK
A firmware update is also to be made during the check.
With the new battery software 2.18.A hex. (2.24.10 dec.) the apps BLEvo and eGenesis do not work.

This is a cause of concern... When you say BLEvo does not work, what do you mean, it will not connect or something different?

@PaoloBLEvo

comegente

Jul 28, 2018
Aachen, Germany
"In August 2022 we expanded the scope of this recall to include additional battery part numbers and manufacturing dates. Specialized and retailers will contact riders that may be affected by this recall via email and with a notification on the Turbo Mission Control app."

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles