Range reduces overnight

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A year ago I used to get 44 miles range, now when I charge my bike the night before I ride I usually get 41 miles (it's on a Focus with the 378Whr battery). Overnight the range drops to 38 miles. I tried charging again, but the charger won't charge, just stays steady green instead of blinking to indicate charging.

I can't say as I have noticed a range problem on the ride because I seldom go down to the wire on battery life. Just interested..... Is it a pre-cursor to a more serious fault, nothing to worry about.......?? Comments would be appreciated.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am always slightly suspicious of the data when a brand is using a non Shimano battery with a Shimano motor - who does the calibration fo the system to judge the range, is it a common Shimano BMS in the battery?
Really I am asking more questions rather than providing answers, but it wouldn't surprise me if its a reading of the battery issue rather than an actual problem, though range will replete over time.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
A year ago I used to get 44 miles range, now when I charge my bike the night before I ride I usually get 41 miles (it's on a Focus with the 378Whr battery). Overnight the range drops to 38 miles.

It's supposed to adjust and learn to a degree .. maybe it's just worked out that you're a lazy bugger in the mornings ?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I play a game with my range estimation: how big a variation I can get riding in ECO. So far it has gone from 212km down to 40km within a couple of kms, then back up to 121km.

You know it's a dumb algorithm when you get a lower range from having ridden with the motor in the OFF setting than riding with the motor in ECO...

Dan63

Feb 4, 2019
Brisbane
The range is estimated based off current level of charge, power mode selected and data from recent usage. The range estimate is going to change based on the riding you have done in the last 5km or so.

04fuxake

Feb 12, 2018
Porirua, NZ
Couple of thoughts based on having an EV.....
  • The battery may be degrading a bit so after a year of regular usage and cycles, the max range will fall slightly
  • The estimated distance is probably based on how you last rode it. I know our EV will have varying amounts of range each morning based on how hard or eco it was driven the prior day.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks for your many replies. :)
Most either say that the range falls anyway the more I charge the bike, or changes with how I ride the bike, (both of which I was aware of) or just take the piss (and I'm OK with that). But my main question was why after having charged it and got a 41-mile range forecast, that it drops to 38 miles overnight just sitting there switched off. It hasn't done that before. :unsure:

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
My experience of lithium packs from RC use is that many will (after a decent number of cycles) start to exhibit a more pronounced “relaxation” after coming off charge and being left a few hours; often they will self discharge 0.05-0.1V/cell, then stabilise. I don’t know the chemical reason for this (presumably it is something to do with deposition occuring at the anode) but it might explain what you are seeing.

This tendency will vary pack to pack depending on how they have been treated (storage SOC, storage temp etc), but this should only have a small (if any) effect on your real world range, at least up to the ~100 cycles point. YMMV (literally! ?)

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@Rusty I had seen your post (which is why I referred to "most posts...."). Thanks for the response, but I don't have an app that gives any battery stats. It's a Shimano battery, so if anyone is aware of an app that gives detail battery stats, please post a link. I currently use the E-Tube app now and again to load updates.
@Matty B Thanks also for your response which appears to provide a convincing explanation for what I'm seeing. I haven't experienced a range reduction, because what I do is different every time I go out, so it's difficult to tell. I certainly haven't been inconvenienced by it. From what you say it is not a serious problem or even close. But I will keep my eye on it. I have another 9 months of warranty yet.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for the response, but I don't have an app that gives any battery stats. It's a Shimano battery, so if anyone is aware of an app that gives detail battery stats, please post a link. I currently use the E-Tube app now and again to load updates.
You LBS can plug in their app and tell you - most do this as a free service in my area. Or you could try Steps Unlocker

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
@Rusty I had seen your post (which is why I referred to "most posts...."). Thanks for the response, but I don't have an app that gives any battery stats. It's a Shimano battery, so if anyone is aware of an app that gives detail battery stats, please post a link. I currently use the E-Tube app now and again to load updates.
@Matty B Thanks also for your response which appears to provide a convincing explanation for what I'm seeing. I haven't experienced a range reduction, because what I do is different every time I go out, so it's difficult to tell. I certainly haven't been inconvenienced by it. From what you say it is not a serious problem or even close. But I will keep my eye on it. I have another 9 months of warranty yet.

Steps Unlocker or the eTube windows app with an SM-PCE1.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
So it comes with extra software not included in the e-Tube app on my phone? (To get the battery diagnostics....)

Yes. But Stunlocker has the battery diagnostics data as well, and you can use Bluetooth to connect rather than buying the extra adapter.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles