More range

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Do I get more range if I change 500W to 250W?

ECO:
- Low 20% 30Nm 500W
- Medium 40% 30Nm 500W
- High 60% 30Nm 500W

TRAIL:
- Low 70% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 90% 70Nm 500W
- High 110% 70Nm 500W

BOOST:
- Low 150% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 200% 70Nm 500W
- High 300% 70Nm 500W

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Please explain to me: what is Low/Medium/High ?

If you use the PC app, or etube with bluetooth, you can configure the default assist settings for eco/trail/boost. If you set them to low, you'll go further but have to pedal harder. It just gives riders more flexibility to configure the system for their requirements.

@raine did post something recently which listed all the different power levels for all the different settings. Unfortunately I need to go so don't have the time to find it, but you could search his posts and find it that way or just search the forum.

One important point he made was that Trail was Dynamic, so what you set is just where it starts out, it then automatically adjusts to what it thinks you need when you need it, so if I understand correctly, changing the setting for trail will have less influence on battery life/range than changing the other settings.

The best way to increase range is to man up like @Gary and use an emtb as it's designed to be used - no assistance on climbs , only assistance on descents for when you do need a quick boost - that way you get at least 200km's on a battery. :)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Do I get more range if I change 500W to 250W?

ECO:
- Low 20% 30Nm 500W
- Medium 40% 30Nm 500W
- High 60% 30Nm 500W

TRAIL:
- Low 70% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 90% 70Nm 500W
- High 110% 70Nm 500W

BOOST:
- Low 150% 70Nm 500W
- Medium 200% 70Nm 500W
- High 300% 70Nm 500W

Didn't you already ask this in another thread and received an answer? Why make another thread asking the same thing?

Anyhow - answer: It's possible. But it depends on how much power you actually use when you ride.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
@raine did post something recently which listed all the different power levels for all the different settings. Unfortunately I need to go so don't have the time to find it, but you could search his posts and find it that way or just search the forum.

Here you go buddy:
Emax iOS app available - EMTB Forums

Note: the image was made before Shimano updated to allow adjustment of ECO mode as well

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
If you use the PC app, or etube with bluetooth, you can configure the default assist settings for eco/trail/boost. If you set them to low, you'll go further but have to pedal harder. It just gives riders more flexibility to configure the system for their requirements.

Oh....that's just Shimano's default presets - I see.
I can set them all to whatever value I want.

My current settings are:
Eco: 30%, 30Nm.
Trail: 60%, 50Nm.
Boost: 120%, 70Nm.
This gives me very good shifting and good range....allmost never use Boost.

After some weeks with the above settings, my cousin wanted to try the bike (first time eMTB'ing)
He was very impressed...then I told him it was lower than standard.
We default't it to standard and he used Boost up a large hill and laughed all the way up.
Then we changed to US region and he was thrilled.

Then I forgot to change it back down and when I got to my own trail it was simply way too much assist.
Had to set it down again :)

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Didn't you already ask this in another thread and received an answer? Why make another thread asking the same thing?

Anyhow - answer: It's possible. But it depends on how much power you actually use when you ride.

Yes, but started a own thread, didn't want to hijacked the other thread.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Oh....that's just Shimano's default presets - I see.
I can set them all to whatever value I want.

My current settings are:
Eco: 30%, 30Nm.
Trail: 60%, 50Nm.
Boost: 120%, 70Nm.
This gives me very good shifting and good range....allmost never use Boost.

After some weeks with the above settings, my cousin wanted to try the bike (first time eMTB'ing)
He was very impressed...then I told him it was lower than standard.
We default't it to standard and he used Boost up a large hill and laughed all the way up.
Then we changed to US region and he was thrilled.

Then I forgot to change it back down and when I got to my own trail it was simply way too much assist.
Had to set it down again :)

You talked about good shifting, in boost up shifting is hard for the chain and derailleur. Down is not that hard.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
@raine you are right about the dynamics of the trail mode. I did try the same settings in eco and trail. In trail the bike is different then in eco. It rides easier.

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
@raine you are right about the dynamics of the trail mode. I did try the same settings in eco and trail. In trail the bike is different then in eco. It rides easier.

I actually ride in TRAIL probably 90% of the time these days, it's kind of like having an automatic transmission in a real car where it will shift and adjust as needed, so all I need to do is ride.

The other 10% is split between BOOST (for those steep climbs) and OFF (when I'm taking a break trailside)

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
I actually ride in TRAIL probably 90% of the time these days, it's kind of like having an automatic transmission in a real car where it will shift and adjust as needed, so all I need to do is ride.

The other 10% is split between BOOST (for those steep climbs) and OFF (when I'm taking a break trailside)

Could you please tell me what your settings are for the trail mode.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
IMG_3832.png

Today 42 KM with 500 M climbing. I got home and just 2 bars were out. Almost everything in ECO with high cadence. 100 KM with one battery must be achievable.

Keetoo

Jul 18, 2019
Netherlands
my currents settings:
ECO Medium 40% 30Nm 500W
TRAIL Low 70% 70Nm 500W
BOOST Low 150% 70Nm 500W

yesterday i rode for about 75% in eco 20% trail and 5% boost, 51 km and 1300 altitude meters., 2 bars left.

i noticed that when riding in ECO with a candace around 85 - 95 rpm the engine is running better then in the same setting having a cadence of 70 - 80 rpm. anyone notice the same ?

i also rode 55 km with 400 Hm. and 3 bars left, so i also think 100 km on almost flat terrain in ECO must be possible.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
my currents settings:
ECO Medium 40% 30Nm 500W
TRAIL Low 70% 70Nm 500W
BOOST Low 150% 70Nm 500W

yesterday i rode for about 75% in eco 20% trail and 5% boost, 51 km and 1300 altitude meters., 2 bars left.

i noticed that when riding in ECO with a candace around 85 - 95 rpm the engine is running better then in the same setting having a cadence of 70 - 80 rpm. anyone notice the same ?

i also rode 55 km with 400 Hm. and 3 bars left, so i also think 100 km on almost flat terrain in ECO must be possible.

Keetoo where do you ride in Holland?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
eco 20% trail and 5% boost, 51 km and 1300 altitude meters., 2 bars left.

If you put Stepsunlocker on your phone you can check the battery life more accurately - as a percentage. The bars can be quite deceptive.

I went out the other night and rode 15k like a mad man to a ride, 20k round the circuit trying to get the (e-bike) Kom and I'd only used 1 bar after 35k of insanity. In reality it was probably about 39%. As soon as I was heading back it lost a bar. Then threw two more away on the 15k home.

Remember, the power pixies in the first few bars are the strong eager ones ready to do some work, as you get lower you find all the lazy ones who were sleeping at the bottom - so whilst there might be just as many of them % wise, they don't really do as much ! - that's a somewhat simplified version of what really goes on ! :)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The best way to get more range out of the system is to change gears as you would on a normal bike, and not use a gear that overly relies on a low cadence and grinding , which uses more of the motor power.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles