Rail Rockguardz anyone got one?

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
Morning all,
Has anyone purchased a Rockguardz carbon motor guard at all? If so could you charge a couple of photographs of it fitted? I’m particularly interested in the ‘vent’ holes. In essence I don’t want them (the vent holes) Rockguardz tell me the holes are much smaller, but they don’t actually have a photograph of the product for the Trek rail. So hoping, a few rail owners have bought one and are willing to share pictures?
Thanks

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Morning all,
Has anyone purchased a Rockguardz carbon motor guard at all? If so could you charge a couple of photographs of it fitted? I’m particularly interested in the ‘vent’ holes. In essence I don’t want them (the vent holes) Rockguardz tell me the holes are much smaller, but they don’t actually have a photograph of the product for the Trek rail. So hoping, a few rail owners have bought one and are willing to share pictures?
Thanks
I’m curious about this myself. I keep a spare guard around (aluminum?) just in case. I would think the vent holes are just as important on a rigid carbon guard. I’ve seen one made from carbon but it looked flimsy (home-made?).
“Made to order” , no pics and probably a $100.00 CDN.

Last edited:

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’m curious about this myself. I keep a spare guard around (aluminum?) just in case. I would think the vent holes are just as important on a rigid carbon guard. I’ve seen one made from carbon but it looked flimsy (home-made?).
“Made to order” , no pics and probably a $100.00 CDN.
The Rockguardz one fits over the OE alloy guard. Someone has posted pics today on the rail FB page. The vent holes aren’t a problem here in the U.K. I would only run it in the winter anyway. I want something to neatly cover them in order to reduce crap getting on to the motor

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m not sure if I would want to have smaller vent holes. I’d be worried about cooling but if the bash-guard area is jammed with debris …then there’s no cooling. Keeping the temperature down seems to be important on the Bosch gen4 but is very important or difficult on other motors (Brose).
I suppose your ground debris is different than mine. I have to contend with rocks , loam and coniferous needles. The latter seems to find its way into everything and eventually builds up in the motor area during a ride. Mud? Sometimes but nothing too worry about.
After every ride I must rinse the motor area with water. Sometimes I wish the vent holes were larger, especially towards the rear of the bash guard so the crap/debris could exit. If it can get in there, I want it to get out of there. The design of the bash guard nicely traps stuff around the motor then prevents proper cooling.
2EED3A69-B9F6-4E76-9F24-3BBA6B4DDC3F.jpeg

Here’s another method I use for cleanup.
image.jpg

……and here’s the culprit. They don’t look like much, but if you multiply them by a thousand, they will pack into the motor area and hold water or stop any cooling. But these won’t stop a wheel from turning like that gross clayey-mudd you might have. I could use that stuff to glue handles back onto coffee cups. Yuk.
I would like a carbon bashguard if it had enough rigidity, vented properly and allowed debris to exit easier. Maybe a specific type of guard for our specific type of debris. But I want to protect the motor. Especially the cooling fins.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, this was for me no go.

My first guard:
View attachment 80074
Yeah looks typical. I got a few of those. Definitely a weak-spot there. A ridged carbon might have some better protection but those mounting screws aren’t enough. One of my screws was stripped. Maybe some clip-in method on the side of the bash guard along with the screws could lessen my anxiety of a carbon bash guard.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
The electrical connectors are at the bottom of the motor. You don't want them to be any more time getting wet than needed. Water comes out of the holes and holes might get blocked.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I’m probably breaking the rules each time I go out. Water is almost unavoidable here, and I’ve submerged the bike and myself several times with no consequences, so far. Since I don’t seem to stop doing this I added a bit more protection to the electrical connections to the motor. A small swipe of dielectric grease on the rubber seals(male connections) only (not inside). Seems to work so far.

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
I think the guard should be wider to really protect the sides of the motor.

1642434055850.png

RustyMojo

Oct 30, 2021
Gloucestershire
I’m awaiting the call from my lbs to confirm my 250 mile/3 month old motor has been replaced. It’s been a wet few months since I started riding the bike. I haven’t over cleaned the thing. It’s just water ingress from riding off piste during some shocking weather. I don’t believe closing those vent holes would cause any problem for U.K. winter riding. In fact my mates Orbea doesn’t have anything like the amount of motor on show as the rail. I think as the rockguardz offers little benefit I’ll buy one of the metal skid plates (forget the companies name) as that has much smaller vent holes from what I have seen

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
So here’s my spare aluminum bash guard.
7FB0097B-E16F-48E5-8491-B495F6FD5FDD.jpeg

There’s a weak notch in the guard which makes room for a cooling fin in the motor. Most of the failures begin here and radiate to the centre. Not too much you can do about this unless the cooling fin is snapped off.
I might try a drain hole(or another vent hole) in the yellowish area. I’m more worried about water getting out during rides or after ride washing. Could let some debris out too. If I cut it properly it might not affect the structural integrity. I hope.

asuwood

Apr 24, 2023
Ireland
So here’s my spare aluminum bash guard.
View attachment 80098
There’s a weak notch in the guard which makes room for a cooling fin in the motor. Most of the failures begin here and radiate to the centre. Not too much you can do about this unless the cooling fin is snapped off.
I might try a drain hole(or another vent hole) in the yellowish area. I’m more worried about water getting out during rides or after ride washing. Could let some debris out too. If I cut it properly it might not affect the structural integrity. I hope.
Hi Stihldog, any chance you could send me a link, for where to get the original skid guard, to suit a 2022 trek rail 7! I seem to be going round in circles but don't see my model specific listed anywhere! My 3rd time out yesterday and unfortunately struck the plate on a black trail park run, cracked it badly, luckily no further damage. Thinking of getting a replacement original then placing a rockguardz over it but I'm open for ideas! Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Hi Stihldog, any chance you could send me a link, for where to get the original skid guard, to suit a 2022 trek rail 7! I seem to be going round in circles but don't see my model specific listed anywhere! My 3rd time out yesterday and unfortunately struck the plate on a black trail park run, cracked it badly, luckily no further damage. Thinking of getting a replacement original then placing a rockguardz over it but I'm open for ideas! Appreciate any advice, thanks!
I usually keep a spare but I just ordered from the LBS (Trek dealer). Can’t remember how much$$ it was.

IanCran76

Apr 11, 2022
Derbyshire
Sorry if this isn't relevant but I have been using one of these for a few months and seem pretty good.

unnamed.jpg

It has some ali strips inside that you can bend and shape to the frame.

2023-04-26 14_14_37-unnamed.jpg ‎- Photos.png

I think its saved my frame from a little bit of hammer.

Cheers,

Ian.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
…It has some ali strips inside that you can bend and shape to the frame.
So if I see this right, the adhesive strips attach to your frame, then the protective piece snaps onto those??

Btw, I have a similar rear fender which extends to protect the pivot. My small front fender would Jam up with snow. I removed it.

IanCran76

Apr 11, 2022
Derbyshire
So if I see this right, the adhesive strips attach to your frame, then the protective piece snaps onto those??

Btw, I have a similar rear fender which extends to protect the pivot. My small front fender would Jam up with snow. I removed it.

Yeah kind of, those ali strips stick to the frame and then the procetive part velcros onto those.

I've been riding it through the UK winter slop and it doesn't get too clogged up.

jynx

Mar 4, 2023
Kent
Morning all,
Thanks

asuwood

Apr 24, 2023
Ireland
Does anyone know where to get the original skid plate for a trek rail 7 emtb? Third time out on the bike and I've split it, any of the aftermarket ones appear to be assembled in conjunction with the original guard. So before I would order an aftermarket one, I need the original, they seem to be out of stock, with no restock date rescheduled! Help please!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles