Rail (625Wh) Rail 7 Gen 2 Ohlins Shock Questions

BuckSaw

May 21, 2024
Canada
I'm riding a size large Rail 7 Gen 2. I ride a lot of technical singletrack with steep, rooty descents. I'm currently in the market for a new rear shock. The Deluxe+ is ok, but It's limitations really show when braking on technical downhills. I've narrowed my choices down to the Ohlins TTX22 coil, and the TTX air shocks. The progression curve of the Rail (IMO) favours a more linear shock like the TTX22 coil, or TTX2 air. Before I pull the trigger on a new shock I'd like to ask the opinion of folks who are more experienced than me with this bike and these particular shocks. Thanks.

Is the TTX2 better suited to the Rail than the TTX1?

Is a coil shock more applicable than an air shock?

Last edited:

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
Hi
A lot wont like this bit if your riding hard i don't personally find the rail has progressive enough rear suspension for a coil
I run a ttx2 but all the spacers are fitted to make it progressive enough i probably should have bought a ttx1
Some will defend the coil and its probably ok for general trail riding but if your off the ground at all it will blow through the travel .

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I'm riding a size large Rail 7 Gen 2. I ride a lot of technical singletrack with steep, rooty descents. I'm currently in the market for a new rear shock. The Deluxe+ is ok, but It's limitations really show when braking on technical downhills. I've narrowed my choices down to the Ohlins TTX22 coil, and the TTX air shocks. The progression curve of the Rail (IMO) favours a more linear shock like the TTX22 coil, or TTX2 air. Before I pull the trigger on a new shock I'd like to ask the opinion of folks who are more experienced than me with this bike and these particular shocks. Thanks.

Is the TTX2 better suited to the Rail than the TTX1?

Is a coil shock more applicable than an air shock?
If you "Search" in the "Trek" Forum you will find a lot of information posted by many Rail riders with Ohlins coils shocks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles