Rail (625Wh) Rail 7 Creaks

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
I bought a Rail 7 in the Spring…it’s the creakiest bike I’ve ever owned

Creaks coming from cranks and rear pivot mostly….anyone have similar experiences?

On the crank, is it just an e13 thing and I should replace the crank or is there a fix for it?

Rear pivot…remove bearings, grease the pivot install new bearings?

Other ideas/solutions?

Thanks

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
My 7 creaks and pings all the time, more so when it gets warm. It's alloy which makes it more perplexing.

I've checked the cranks, chain-wheel, motor bolts, motor bracket bolts, headset and any thing else I can think of. I have lubed all suspension pivots but all to no avail.

I also have a Focus Jam 2 and a Canyon Spectral On 6, both with about 4000 miles on them and they are both creak and ping free, just a light whine from the E8000 motors.

The creaking and pinging, along with the Bosch motor rattle, will put me off looking at another Rail when I come to change it.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I would give the rear hub a service...the Bontrager hubs aren't particularly weather proof and need fairly regular servicing. If the hub has dried out it will creak and the noise is difficult to trace

kenaiok

Feb 3, 2022
Tulsa, OK
I would give the rear hub a service...the Bontrager hubs aren't particularly weather proof and need fairly regular servicing. If the hub has dried out it will creak and the noise is difficult to trace

Good suggestion, but I already got rid of that POS rear wheel
Replaced it with a DT E 1900

I’m gonna crack open some beer tonight, get my tub of grease out and go to work

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
The only time mine hasn't creaked was for 2 days after getting a full service & pivot bearings replaced. Pivot bearings do have a hard time though. Also try a thin bit of rubber between the battery & bottom of the frame just to cancel that possibility.
When I'm riding I'm either singing along with my headphones in or screaming, both of which drown out the noise.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
The only time mine hasn't creaked was for 2 days after getting a full service & pivot bearings replaced. Pivot bearings do have a hard time though. Also try a thin bit of rubber between the battery & bottom of the frame just to cancel that possibility.
When I'm riding I'm either singing along with my headphones in or screaming, both of which drown out the noise.

I have tried packing the battery but made no difference.
All suspension bearings have a hard time and I spray mine with silicone spray before every ride.
There is something moving on the bike that shouldn't be, perhaps.

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
I started to get a creak after the first ride. I have dropped it off at trek as they think its the motor to frames bolts.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I started to get a creak after the first ride. I have dropped it off at trek as they think its the motor to frames bolts.
The motor to frame bolts are fairly easy to check (Torque Plus 40 @ 20nm (x6)). If that is the issue …well that’s not good. I have seen the motor bracket bolts get sheared off on a Rail 9.7 though. The LBS had to replaced the motor.
Shortly after I started riding my rail (2020) the creaking noise started. I had the LBS replace the main pivot bearings (creak-gone). I also protected that area with a small rear fender to keep small rocks from getting pinched between the frame and rear triangle.
I seem to chase small rattling and creaking noises around until I find the issue. Now the free-wheel clicking noise is driving me crazy (it’s really not bad) so I’m looking at a silent hub. Now, since reading about peddle-kick-back while climbing a rock garden on a full-sus, I’ve been obsessed with that. But how is that possible with a Bosch gen4 motor?
I’m starting to look for problems that aren’t there. 🙄

ezliven

Feb 9, 2023
United States
My 2020 Rail 9.7 had a creaking noise for some time. The creaking was minor at first but got progressively worse to the point others riding near me could hear it. I had taken all the pivot points apart and cleaned and retorqued them and cleaned seat post but still did not fix the creaking noise. Finally the only thing left was the motor mounting. I had noticed while holding the brake and stepping on the crank that the motor had a slight movement to it. I removed the motor and found the bolts for the motor mounting bracket were loose and one had broken off. I was able to remove the broken bolt. For some reason Bosch had installed them with tamper proof bolt heads and did not have any anti-seize on them. I removed the other 3 loose bolts and installed 4 new M5-18 X 16mm bolts with regular allen heads. Installed them with anti-seize and torqued them to 6 nm. Reinstalled them motor and have 2 rides for 40 miles and not more creaking. Bracket shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• 1939_001 (2).pdf
    73 KB · Views: 73

jono878

Sep 17, 2022
bath
The motor to frame bolts are fairly easy to check (Torque Plus 40 @ 20nm (x6)). If that is the issue …well that’s not good. I have seen the motor bracket bolts get sheared off on a Rail 9.7 though. The LBS had to replaced the motor.
Shortly after I started riding my rail (2020) the creaking noise started. I had the LBS replace the main pivot bearings (creak-gone). I also protected that area with a small rear fender to keep small rocks from getting pinched between the frame and rear triangle.
I seem to chase small rattling and creaking noises around until I find the issue. Now the free-wheel clicking noise is driving me crazy (it’s really not bad) so I’m looking at a silent hub. Now, since reading about peddle-kick-back while climbing a rock garden on a full-sus, I’ve been obsessed with that. But how is that possible with a Bosch gen4 motor?
I’m starting to look for problems that aren’t there. 🙄
That was the first thing I checked, I've not had anymore creaking since. Trek took the bike apart & greased everything & could not sort the issue at first. UDH hanger may of been the problem, as it broke when it got put back on the bike. You also get creaking from the mono link in the slack setting if you let mud build up in that area.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles