Rail 7 drivetrain creak.. ??‍♂️

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Evening all,
Had my Rail 7 out for a pedal off-road yesterday and noticed a creaking noise from bottom bracket area when under load. Doesn’t do it if I’m just spinning the pedals but as soon as I put some real power down it starts creaking. Is it a common problem on them? Does it need some grease? It’s annoying me now, everything is tight and working as it should. Any ideas?

Davidwylie

Feb 7, 2020
Leicestershire
Evening all,
Had my Rail 7 out for a pedal off-road yesterday and noticed a creaking noise from bottom bracket area when under load. Doesn’t do it if I’m just spinning the pedals but as soon as I put some real power down it starts creaking. Is it a common problem on them? Does it need some grease? It’s annoying me now, everything is tight and working as it should. Any ideas?

Could be any number of things, but my best guess and first thing to try is the rear dropout and through shaft .. Take out rear wheel, clean and lightly grease dropout and grease shaft (especially the thread) put it all back together and make sure shaft it tight. If that dont fixt it then it could be the pedal threads not greased. Annoying creaks are just a process of elimination, although it may sound like bb area it could be anywhere.

Last edited:

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Hmm.. never thought of the rear axle mate. I’ll check it out tomorrow. Pedals were grease before I fitted them but I’ll whip them off aswell

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Have you checked that the lockring that holds the chainring on is tight? Common issue with it coming undone.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
It might be your freehub? If you're still running the Bonty wheels? I had a set of Bonty Line wheels on my Remedy, I had the exact same issue as you, creaking under pedaling load but quiet otherwise. I thought it was coming from around the BB too. Finally took the freehub body off, everything bone dry. Those Bonty hubs aren't sealed very well and seem to need frequent attention. Lubed the pawls/springs/ratchet and the noise was gone!

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Philly G.. thanks for the heads up on the potential problem. Removed the freehub body and it was as dry as a bone behind there. Everything got a good grease up and the noise is gone.. although so is the lovely clicks sounds of the freehub when freewheeling ?. Oh well, better to have the creaking noise gone.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Philly G.. thanks for the heads up on the potential problem. Removed the freehub body and it was as dry as a bone behind there. Everything got a good grease up and the noise is gone.. although so is the lovely clicks sounds of the freehub when freewheeling ?. Oh well, better to have the creaking noise gone.
Hey Miked, that's really awesome you solved the problem! (y)And don't worry, that lovely buzz of the freehub will be back after a few rides;)

Last edited:

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Happy days.. I liked the sound of it aswell. Checked the chainring was tight again, Cleaned and re greased the pedals and rear axle first to eliminate them. I knew it wasn’t the seatpost as it was still there when I was out the saddle pedalling on my way home from work. So figured it had to be the freehub. Delighted it’s sorted. Thanks again for the things to check everybody. ???

LemonDrop

Jun 9, 2020
USA
Evening all,
I noticed this on my 2019 trek FS 5 too and the LBS technician said it’s related to the aluminum frame. I since moved to the 9.7 and the carbon frame does not exhibit this. Not sure if it the same creaking noise - mine was underneath the battery compartment, am guessing related to some resonance

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles