Apr 24, 2018
UK
Product_Images_Focus_Raven%C2%B2_Launch_Photo_Christoph_Laue_4608-640x427.jpg

:eek: Don't know how that happened ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I just picked up my new Hardtail today - deals like a feather compared to the full suss even with the shimano motor, that thing is going to be a rocket!

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I just picked up my new Hardtail today - deals like a feather compared to the full suss even with the shimano motor, that thing is going to be a rocket!

Fingers crossed. Really curious about the motor, hoping to do similar to you and get a FS with same motor if I like it to have 2 batteries!

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
Product_Images_Focus_Raven%C2%B2_Launch_Photo_Christoph_Laue_4608-640x427.jpg

:eek: Don't know how that happened ;)
Ooooooh Ryder, you have a sexy new girlfriend? Please let us know your impressions of the motor ASAP. I'm fascinated by the Fazua system and reckon it would be a great option for an EMTB, especially since the battery is so very compact.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
IMG_1028.jpg

Only had a quick 3 mile shakedown ride but have some initial thoughts.

1) if you are the sort of rider that likes to boost everywhere the Fazua system is not going to be for you. Subtle is the best way to describe the assistance.
2) If you are the sort of rider that rides on Eco almost all the time and wishes there was an eco - then this will be the system for you.
3) Riding with no assist actually feels just like riding a normal bike...no drag and very little extra weight.
4) Race hardtails are fast and fun ;)
5) Interestingly the front fork is a 27.5 boost fork...wonder if a 27.5 plus tyre will fit in the rear as well?

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
View attachment 3687

Only had a quick 3 mile shakedown ride but have some initial thoughts.

1) if you are the sort of rider that likes to boost everywhere the Fazua system is not going to be for you. Subtle is the best way to describe the assistance.
2) If you are the sort of rider that rides on Eco almost all the time and wishes there was an eco - then this will be the system for you.
3) Riding with no assist actually feels just like riding a normal bike...no drag and very little extra weight.
4) Race hardtails are fast and fun ;)
5) Interestingly the front fork is a 27.5 boost fork...wonder if a 27.5 plus tyre will fit in the rear as well?

I am a rider that likes Boost/Turbo but would be keen to understand what the Focus feels like on its highest power setting?

@Rob Hancill compared it to the Levo as more than ECO mode and slightly more than the 'standard' Trail mode.

In my mind that would be enough for me in a number of riding situations. I would always need another bike to please my addiction of 'Leave the world behind you' 'Turbo' mode but the Fazua would hopefully bring me back to earth and reality.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Going out for a longer ride later so will check Turbo mode. I would not expect great range using turbo though.

Will keep reporting here as I get some miles on the thing. I can see me always having 2 e-bikes, a more XC short travel or hardtail for local rides and a longer travel bike for bigger stuff.

In this scenario I think the Fazua motor would be ideal for the XC bike. Time will tell whether it is suitable for long travel applications.

Reactions: Dax

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The more I hear about the Fazua the more I like the idea of it. Can’t wait to try one out (hopefully at the NEC in Sept).

Reactions: Dax

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Well some figures for you all.

17 miles and 1700ft climbing. Mostly in eco with some trail and boost (about 10% I would guess) Battery on 6 lights out of 10 so somewhere between 60 and 50% remaining.

Quite a workout! The difference between the 3 modes is very subtle (to the point I was niot sure there was any at times!) This may change as it loosens up and it is noticable. The change between levels happens over the course of 2-3 pedal stokes so feels very smooth and contributes to the feeling that they are very similar.

Motor noise is there and a similar noise to the Shimano but much much quieter. If the Shimano is normal speaking the Fazua is a whisper.

If it was not for the noise you would not know the motor had cut out at 15mph, it is that subtle. The bike is absolutely fine to cycle with the motor switched off and with the battery and motor out would be even better. There is no blanking plate available yet if the motor is removed (Sept according to the Fazua web site)

Overall I think I am going to like it but I am not sure everyone, or even most e-bikers will as it really is a light touch.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Awesome. How do you feel about the power levels? I thought it was similar to the Levo, more than Eco, around trail level.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
For me it feels like it skirts either side of eco on a shimano bike. So trail on the fazua felt about eco and boost slightly above. Having said that one ride is probably a bit premature for making too many judgements, I honestly had trouble noticing a differnece between the modes off road. On road I could tell the difference quite easily but offroad not so much. Also bear in mind mine is the "poverty spec" version so probably got a lot more rotational mass than the one you tried. I also wonder if you were influenced by the fact that it is a carbon race hardtail with low drag tyres and you tested it on road so it is going to feel very different from a trail bike offroad (i.e the Levo) I am tempted to stick a set of carbon wheels and a lighter drivetrain on it to see what it is like. Maybe I should crowdfund it!

Did you notice a big difference between the modes when you rode it?

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Oh one other thing, if anyone wants a go I am happy to let people take it out (I will tag along to make sure you don't just keep going!) Worthing based. It is size L

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Have to say i am loving my hardtail at the moment for quickish local blasts, looks like the BMC is going to be a hell of a lot of fun for you and that the motor is exactly what you have been looking for

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Ryder, are we allowed to ask how much you weigh without you taking offence? ? Sounds like for heavier riders this might not have enough power, but be fine for those who are lighter.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Hmmm... I like the look of that @Ryder . just needs a 40mm stem, tyre and pedal switch ;)
What does the full bike weigh? (With and without the battery/motor if you know)

Thanks.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
Not sure for the lower spec model I have but the top model is 15.8kg, 12.2 without the motor and battery. Agree on the tyres and stem.

EddieJ

Founding Member
May 1, 2018

I thought so. :( I have the same size on My Giant XCT Advanced Plus 1

I wouldn't put a dropper post at the top of list of wants on this style of bike, but 27.2 certainly restricts the options of choice.

Last edited:

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
OK bit of an update. God I love this bike :)

More details....

The motor has definately loosened up. The Fazua unit mentioned this in its troubleshooting section, it takes a few miles for the motor to develop full power. Todays ride felt much better in that respect. Stuck pretty much to eco and was 1mph quicker than yesterday with less effort from me. Also the gap between the 3 modes was more pronounced, still subtle but definitely noticeable. The other big revalation, which I am not so happy about is that response from the engine does require me to adapt my riding style. I have always been a sit and spin at high cadence guy. usually I climb in a low gear at 100+ cadence. This is not good with this system abnd I am having to push higher gears at lower cadences to get a good response from the motor. Not a negative just something to be aware of.

Overall the best thing for me is this feels so much more like a regular mtb (albeit a race hardtail) than any other emtb I have ridden, and I love that aspect of it. It remains to be sen how it translates when put in a trail bike but for round here this is a perfect bike. Very happy with this!

Oh and as fopr range, 13 miles today 1200ft climbine and used about 30% of the battery so not much differnt to my other ebikes.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I thought so. :( I have the same size on My Giant XCT Advanced Plus 1

I wouldn't put a dropper post at the top of list of wants on this style of bike, but 27.2 certainly restricts the options of choice.
Pretty sure Thomson do a decent drop 27.2

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I wouldn't mind a quick go on that Ryder, just to see, like! Could trade you for a go on my E-Sommet alrhough I know you have the lovely Rocky as well

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
No problem! Let me know when you want to head out. I am away this weekend and next but around mid week. By he way saw a friend of yours on the downs yesterday. Can’t remember his name but he was there when you did your neck. Rides a Capra I think and said he is an electrician.

Ryder

Apr 24, 2018
UK
I have a carbon Focus Jam2 and I have to say I love these bikes. If they had a Fazua based Jam I would find it really hard not to buy one....

M
Amazed they have not announced anything yet. Light weight trail bike with the Fazua would be incredible.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles