Levo Gen 3 Proper frame size S4/S5 - 1,86m (6.1ft)?

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
Dears! I'm about to decide on the e-bike purchase. My favorite is 2022 S-Works Turbo Levo. I know that there might be a couple of threads with a similar question, but let's look at my dilemma following my preferences and assumptions.

I'm 1,86 m tall, which corresponds to 6.1ft. Based on the Specialized specifications, I'm somewhere at the end of S4 and in the middle of S5. That's what the below chart says.

Specialized-S-Sizing-Guide-.jpg

As per the suggestions from Spec, there's no wrong choice. I mean, as long as we are in the range of any size, it should be fine. At the beginning of my riding, I had a 21" Trek MTB hardtail (frame from the 90s). It was a bit too long for me. During long rides, I always had a pain in my neck.

28827198_1718798461500919_7701171970584117973_o.jpg

The next bike I decided to buy was an all-mountain full-suspension Breezer - size L. Of course, from time to time, I have pain when I ride long distances. However, the situation is much better here. My position is more erected, which gives me more comfort at the end.

p4pb12311422.jpg

I prefer to have a more comfortable position than a sporty. S4 would be a better choice I think. Nevertheless, a bike cannot be too small and should also give good stability. It means I'm struggling with the proper size choice. The bad thing is that during this COVID time, the availability of high-end bikes is deficient. I cannot find this bike in the local dealers or Germany to compare two sizes in reality. It's challenging to buy the bike locally. To enjoy riding still this season, I would need to make the online purchase.

Guys, what are your experiences from riding both sizes? Is anyone from you the same height as me? Please advise!

Last edited:

Four Flusher

Jun 24, 2019
Reno
I'm 6'1" with long arms. My last bike was a Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay in large and It was definitely too small for me. As a matter of fact it caused me a bunch of pain in my shoulders, neck, elbows and wrists. My Expert S5 fits me perfectly.

Trail Blazer

Jun 13, 2021
Sweden
Hi

Im same length and went from a S4 Expert Evo that felt good on technical trails to a S5 Levo that gives better stability for an ebike.

I also have an Enduro 2020 in S4 that is perfect for enduro and bike parks where the S5 is big for me.

There is a review in ENDURO Mountainbike Magazine | Digital & Kostenlos where one of their test riders who’s 187 actually prefers the Levo S4 G3 so it based on riding style and experience.

Just been doing some first test rides but it’s a kind of driving snowmobile or a SUV compared to other light weight ebikes that are trail oriented and gives a more nimble feel.

Björn
Åre Sweden

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
It depends on what you want and how and where you ride. I’m 188cm and ride an S4 Enduro and Kenevo. It’s perfect for me. Some people like the safety and stability of longer bikes.

if you you look at the guys that came 1 and 2 in the recent EWS, they’re about your height and ride what would be the equivalent of an S3. They’re good enough riders to find that finer balance point wherever they find themselves, and can turn in faster.

Based on what you’ve said you prioritise, I’d go S4.

Last edited:

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
Guys, you all are right - the perfect size depends on the body dimensions, but also personal preferences.

Screenshot 2021-06-25 133332.png

I have done measurement according to above graphics. Below are the results.

HEIGHT - 186 cm / 6.1 ft
ARMS - 70 cm / 2.3 ft
INSEAM - 90 cm / 2.95 ft

WEIGHT - 87 kg / 192 lbs

That's me. I wonder whether you know your dimensions? I'm curious, how they diverge from each other, and how personal preferences impacts on the size choice. Thanks!

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I’m about the same as you, +1% in all measurements.

But mate, don’t overthink it, just get an S4 (or S5) and rip it.

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
But mate, don’t overthink it, just get an S4 (or S5) and rip it.

So, I have found a retailer who has two sizes in stock. The distance between us is around 800 km, but I would have a possibility to chose the one that suits me better. Now it's a matter of a decision, either I take one of two available (online purchase), or invest my time and money to go there and pick one. I'm always struggling with this kind of decisions! :)

Last edited:

Jakub

Jun 24, 2021
Switzerland
I have chosen S4 size. There was no such a big difference between two sizes, I tested both. S5 was obviously longer. My position was more comfortable on S4, I mean - my back bone will be thankful I hope. I believe that riding S4 will be basically better.

IMG_1645.jpg

My first ride was more than 40 km of distance and around 1000 m of elevation. It was a really good experience. It turned out that Eco mode is enough in many situations, but when you need to came back home quickly (those who have children know what I mean), Trial and Turbo gives a lot of freedom! :)

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles