2020 S-works levo Seat tube size different from the other models?

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Hi.

I noticed a discrepancy in the specs on the specialized site regarding the size of the dropper on the 2020 S-wrosk with the AXS dropper Vs. the other 2020 levo models.

It states that the AXS used in the S-works Levo is 30.9, while all the other models have 34.9 dropers....

Has anyone taken delivery of 2020 S-works and could confirm if it is indeed a 30.9 AXS in there and if the seat tube is narrower or if they have used a shim in the original setup?

I have a frameset only of the S-works coming and it would be nice to know if I could buy a larger dim AXS dropper and get around using any shim or if the seat tube is actually smaller so I would need 30.9... Dealer has been unable to confirm so far and I have a great offer on hand for an AXS 34.9....

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Hi.

I noticed a discrepancy in the specs on the specialized site regarding the size of the dropper on the 2020 S-wrosk with the AXS dropper Vs. the other 2020 levo models.

It states that the AXS used in the S-works Levo is 30.9, while all the other models have 34.9 dropers....

Has anyone taken delivery of 2020 S-works and could confirm if it is indeed a 30.9 AXS in there and if the seat tube is narrower or if they have used a shim in the original setup?

I have a frameset only of the S-works coming and it would be nice to know if I could buy a larger dim AXS dropper and get around using any shim or if the seat tube is actually smaller so I would need 30.9... Dealer has been unable to confirm so far and I have a great offer on hand for an AXS 34.9....
I believe that the 2019 and 2020 s-works frames are the same . I have installed the 34.9 AXS , 170mm ( I am 1.96 meters tall ) and it fits and works great .

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
Forgot to say that my 2019 S-works is size XL , so you would also have to check if the 170mm or whatever length you want , will fit in the down tube length wise .

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Thanks Stephen, I would think so too...

Why I find it so strange that they list the 30.9 in the official specs of the new S-works on specialized's site as I highly doubt they would have changed the frame for just that variant... But anyhow, Mine would be a L or XL so height wise the 170 is fine in both (I'm in between sizes and getting the size they can get to me first, I've tried both and very very slightly prefer the L. both have plenty room for 170 for me).

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
It’s just a misprint, they are notorious for this.

Yeah I suspect so too, but would very much like to get it confirmed 100% before forking out for the dropper to mine. Even if I get it at a discount, it's still such a small market here so reselling due to wrong size would still be at a loss...

Also wondering on Specialized's stance on shims for a smaller post, as some say that it voids the warranty, especially on carbon frames?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Specialized supply a shim for the S-works themselves, for last years Fox post, and I presume for the AXS this year.

Snatch

Aug 18, 2019
Warwickshire
Hi.

I’m after a 34.9 if there is more than 1 ?

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
I have the AXS reverb 34.9 in my 2019 Expert and can't see why they would bother providing a shim on the S-Works to make this accommodate the 30.9 model. I did notice this on the spec of the 2020 S-works myself and assumed a misprint.

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
I have the AXS reverb 34.9 in my 2019 Expert and can't see why they would bother providing a shim on the S-Works to make this accommodate the 30.9 model. I did notice this on the spec of the 2020 S-works myself and assumed a misprint.

Sent a mail to specialized directly asking to make sure, but have not heard back yet. I know they are super busy currently getting the MY20 bikes out the door and doing reseller information and sales meetings so...

McInner1

Subscriber
Jun 8, 2019
Austria
Seems there is a shim:

DD6FE30B-7AB1-48A4-8025-012674403C61.jpeg

screenshot from (end of) video:

Last edited:

Stephen

Jan 10, 2019
Mallorca , Spain
It does indeed look like it... Wonder why they would do that rather than using 34.9 straight in like the others...
I could imagine that they ordered a one size stock that they can use for the Levo and Stumpjumper and Epic .etc...some of the other frames only allow 31.9 size .

Last edited:

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
thanks @McInner1 - I've seen this shim above already o_O but to me that result into further question;
- is this shim recommended by Specialized (due to material of the frame FACT11 or any reason)?
If not recommended (cross-fingers) by Specialized it seems confirmed that 34.9mm could be used. As long as I'm not sure what is reason for this shim I'm struggle to order a seat post.

Galion

Sep 20, 2019
Brazil
Do we have confirmation of 34.9mm for the S-Works or are these guesses...o_O
Can a S-Work 2020 rider confirm 34.9mm please...:cool:

All Enduros 2019, Stumpjumper S-works 2020 and Levo S-works 2020 have shims. Dont know why but it seems perfectly normal for Specialized to drop a seatpost reducer shim on their carbon bikes.
And yes, you can run a 34.9 dropper on a Levo S-Works

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
As a Specialized dealer, we see tons of these 34.9 to 30.9 shims. They started doing them back in 2018 or so. It allows you to run a longer and stiffer 34.9 dropper if you want, or a easier to source 30.9 post.

And many many models came with a 30.9 dropper and this mentioned shim. My guess would be that when they started producing the 2020 Levos, there was no 34.9 AXS dropper available and so they simply spec'd a 30.9 with the shim.. No big deal. I have run these shims in 3 different Enduro frames and my wife has one in her Levo to accommodate a 30.9 dropper that I had sitting around.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
So I've asked my dealer to get confirmation/information to this subject by Specialized as I did have further questions to other parts of the framkekit of Levo. As soon I receive it, I will provide you visibility...

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
So I've asked my dealer to get confirmation/information to this subject by Specialized as I did have further questions to other parts of the framkekit of Levo. As soon I receive it, I will provide you visibility...

My rep is standing beside me and confirmed that all the Levos are 34.9 seat posts.. Just the Sworks comes with the shim and a 30.9 AXS post..

We are guessing that when they started making the 2020 Sworks bikes last year, the 34.9 AXS was not available yet. So they speced what was available and they are not going to break brand new bikes out of the box and buy new posts and replace perfectly functional 30.9 posts with 34.9 posts when the shim works just fine.

Mondfuchs

Jun 24, 2019
Switzerland
My rep is standing beside me and confirmed that all the Levos are 34.9 seat posts.. Just the Sworks comes with the shim and a 30.9 AXS post..

We are guessing that when they started making the 2020 Sworks bikes last year, the 34.9 AXS was not available yet. So they speced what was available and they are not going to break brand new bikes out of the box and buy new posts and replace perfectly functional 30.9 posts with 34.9 posts when the shim works just fine.
I can understand that the dealer not replacing 30.9 to 34.9 on its own cost and if their work. As my ordered framkekit will not come with a seat post I want to be fully sure that I can use 34.9 which is preferred option of course. I'm absolutely not fan of a shim instalment even it may work... technically I do not like that only a short part is fixing both component because this might lead to instability due to forces/less stiffness etc...
Therefore, I'm not ordering and using 34.9 if there is an important reason provided by Specialized as I don't want risk the frame (if so). That's why I'm counting on Specialized feedback on this.

Swan

Oct 19, 2019
North Idaho, US
I can understand that the dealer not replacing 30.9 to 34.9 on its own cost and if their work. As my ordered framkekit will not come with a seat post I want to be fully sure that I can use 34.9 which is preferred option of course. I'm absolutely not fan of a shim instalment even it may work... technically I do not like that only a short part is fixing both component because this might lead to instability due to forces/less stiffness etc...
Therefore, I'm not ordering and using 34.9 if there is an important reason provided by Specialized as I don't want risk the frame (if so). That's why I'm counting on Specialized feedback on this.

Your frame will come as a 34.9. I understand not wanting to use the shim on a principal basis on your 10k bike.. But from a practical standpoint, I seat bounce my 215lb fatass over 30+ ft jumps on my downhill bikes with a shim in a seat post.. And I have a 170mm dropper post on my aggressive hardtail and beat the shit out of that bike with a shimmed dropper and have had no issue.. But I get the principal of not wanting to use it.

And all the carbon Levos we have on the floor run 34.9 droppers and they share the same frame as the Sworks.

Indigo

Oct 6, 2018
Brisbane, Australia
Think about it....do you seriously think a frame made for a 34.9 seat post can't actually take that size?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles