Levo Gen 3 S5 with a shorter stem or S4 with less reach than existing bike?

Privateerjon

Jul 24, 2022
Bristol
Morning all

first post - just after some advice.

in the process of looking at making the move to a ebike, narrowed it down finally to a turbo Levo comp.

the s sizing is throwing me off as it has done with a few others searching the forum.

existing bike (privateer 141 in P3 size) has a reach of 485 and wheelbase is around 1266. I’m 6ft 1 and fit is pretty good, reach feels great and not sure how I’d feel about going shorter.

the s4 and s5 both suggest in my range, the s4 is being suggested by my local shop albeit the reach is less than I’m running at the minute. Another shop I’m speaking with is suggesting the s5 a

If I step to the s5 and drop the stem length down to 35mm I’d be closer again, but the wheelbase then becomes a fair bit bigger and the bike may feel too big.

I’m looking to pick this up to cover some distance on, big days out with plenty of elevation, but my local trails around FoD are still natural, steep in sections and tight twisty so a longer bike may be too much.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Shorter reach of the S4 being a better fit or the bigger bike but drop the stem length down??

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
Mmm, this may it may not help but here goes…

i had a similar dilemma, although in my case the shop only had an S5, but anyway i felt like I was between the 2 sizes of S4 and S5. My ideal reach on paper is 485mm, I’m 6ft. I bought the s5 based on a car park test - it felt better than I expected it to, but I took a bit of a gamble at a time when bikes in shops were of limited availability.

If i’m being honest it is a little bit long, I’ve put a 35mm stem on, so in terms of reach its nearer my ideal figure, but it feels like a longer bike when riding, and i guess that is down to the longer wheelbase. One thing i have also done is to put the +1 headset cups in to steepen the head angle and bring the front wheel back a bit - I’ve never been a massive fan of overly slack bikes and this feels a better balance between front centre and rear centre - but that may not be for everyone!

ultimately for me its a bike with some compromises, which isn’t ideal. I think there are certain heights where you just fall between the S sizing for the levo.

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
I’m a bit over 5-10 and got to ride a buddy’s S5 demo and was surprised at how well it fit. A week later I demoed an S4 and it felt right but not by a lot. Per the sizing chart the S4 was a no-brainer and that’s what the dealer recommended so I bought an Expert and am happy with the fit.

Unless you’re oddly proportioned, at 6-1an S5 would be my choice.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Telling my experience.

I am 177cm (5.10).
A couple of years back I bought L size MTB with a reach of 470. I initially felt ok and confident but then I started to question myself if I was using the right size. Especially because I had an issue on right shoulder while practising wheelies.
So I found out Lee McCormack's theory bout the RAD and RAAD (here) and that changed my approach to bikes!

After getting his consultancy I moved to a new frame in size S (yes, you read right, Size S) and I LOVE the new bike! Much more nimble, I am having much more fun! Maybe not as fast as a I was before, but I prefer to go slower and feel more the bike.

When I had to decide which Levo SX to buy I had no doubt and opted for S3 :)

This is to say that this is also why Specialized created the S sizing... to have the opportunity to decide what riding style you prefer. So I would start thinking first of all at your riding style/preference.

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
Morning all

in the process of looking at making the move to a ebike, narrowed it down finally to a turbo Levo comp.

the s sizing is throwing me off as it has done with a few others searching the forum.

existing bike (privateer 141 in P3 size) has a reach of 485 and wheelbase is around 1266. I’m 6ft 1 and fit is pretty good, reach feels great and not sure how I’d feel about going shorter.

the s4 and s5 both suggest in my range, the s4 is being suggested by my local shop albeit the reach is less than I’m running at the minute. Another shop I’m speaking with is suggesting the s5 a

If I step to the s5 and drop the stem length down to 35mm I’d be closer again, but the wheelbase then becomes a fair bit bigger and the bike may feel too big.

I’m looking to pick this up to cover some distance on, big days out with plenty of elevation, but my local trails around FoD are still natural, steep in sections and tight twisty so a longer bike may be too much.

What’s everyone’s thoughts? Shorter reach of the S4 being a better fit or the bigger bike but drop the stem length down??
s5

Privateerjon

Jul 24, 2022
Bristol
Thanks for all the advice so far guys, appreciated. As you can tell, plenty of different opinions on best way forward! I’ve reached out to the shop to see if I can get a back to back on an S5 as well but they didn’t have any S5s in store so need to look further afield I think.
Currently leaning towards the s5 with a shorter stem, I’ve had smaller bikes previously and whilst great at the bike parks and more jump based trails, I always feel slightly perched when on a longer ride with the seat jacked up.

The privateer I’ve got at the minute has been the first bike for a while I’ve felt comfortable on with a good amount of room.

a longer stem on the s4 won’t be an option I don’t think, it’s already 50mm so wouldn’t want anything longer. Where as a 30mm kn the s5 would be fine, and similar to what I’m running now I think.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
If you go bigger you will have trouble weighting the front wheel and it will not be balanced. You will also have to run your bars lower again to weight the front wheel. the S4 is a much better bike at 6 foot and a 50-60 stem would put it right in the sweet spot for you.

FYI i'm 6'4" and have experimented with XXL bikes. Rear ends are way to short for these extra long bikes.
My current bike is an S5 Kenevo with the bars slammed.

spicker

May 2, 2022
Newfoundland, Canada
I’m 6’1” with a 32” inseam. I rode the S4 and S5 back to back and chose the S4. Love it. The S5 just felt a tad too long in the reach.

Over 1,100km on the bike now since May 24!

Last edited:

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
I'm 6'1" and on the S4 with a 35mm stem. It's a pretty big bike and whilst the all out stability of an S5 might be noticeable somewhere insanely fast and rough, I haven't found the S4 lacking anywhere! The S4 has a nice balance between reach, front centre and chainstay length.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I rode the s4 and s5 back to back just around the street and the s5 felt more comfortable but I realised later that the bars were rolled back on the s4 so it wasn't a fair comparison. I'm 6'2. I ended up buying the s5 and putting a 35mm stem on it with a 10 degree rise and its nice and comfy.

Coming from a VLT sight in L 470mm reach it was a shock at first but now after 1000ks I feel right at home. I do miss the sharp steering of the 27.5 front wheel, the Levo is super stable on the fast stuff but the tight switch backs it feels like a barge.

Honestly I reckon you could go either and be right at home. If you want a more playful bike get the s4. If stability is you game get the s5.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Morning all

Speak to Rich Butters at Raceco and try both. He should have stock of both sizes.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
I have two mtb e-bikes, different manufacturer though. One is a large frame (20"), the other a small (17.5"). I moved the seat back a bit and put a 30mm longer stem on the small bike and the RAD comes out to about the same on both bikes. Riding the same 16 mile tight, windy single track, the small bike feels very nimble and quick in the turns. The large feels like a Cadillac, but for some season I put in faster times over the same course on it looking at Strava. Up to 10 minutes faster. I really like both the bikes though and would be hard pressed to choose between them. For technical stuff I would favor the more nimble small frame though. Just my 2 cents...

Privateerjon

Jul 24, 2022
Bristol
Ok so in the end I’ve gone with the S4, comp, in black.

it’s at the local ready for collection next week when I’m back for my holiday.

Appreciate all the advice here 👍🏻

Privateerjon

Jul 24, 2022
Bristol
What a bike….

4CFEF065-16E5-47C6-AE26-DAA22F6AB574.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles