Pole Voima 190mm Travel EMTB

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Looks outstanding with the 40's. What do you estimate the maximum turning angle is, where say 0deg is straight ahead and 90deg is wheel perpendicular to frame?

Also with the decals, I've got the standard black decals on my v1 still but some of the sharp edges (particularly the points on the back of the P's) is starting to lift. I do like the look without the decals altogether and I'm considering removing them, but would you mind taking a photo of the machined surface beneath the sticker? I assume it's not the same as the rest of the frame? Just want to know what I'm in for before I peel!
Thanks Man! I had the 40 on my original Voima and the steering angle wasn‘t too bad. I was able to make 180 hairpin turns without issue, and that is with a 46* offset on my drop crown. Now with the new frame, its narrower around the head tube so the steering angle is even better. Not sure what the angle is, but here is some pics.

IMG_8167.jpeg IMG_8166.jpeg IMG_2559.png

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
The battery arrived and the complete weight is 50lbs on the dot. I could get it under 50 if I put the RockShock shock back on since it’s 150g lighter than the Fox shock. But I like the Fox too much to take it off. First ride tomorrow! P.s., excuse the messy garage. 🤘🏻😎

IMG_8178.jpeg IMG_8177.jpeg

Last edited:

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
The battery arrived and the complete weight is 50lbs on the dot. I could get it under 50 if I put the RockShock shock back on since it’s 150g lighter than the Fox shock. But I like the Fox too much to take it off. First ride tomorrow!🤘🏻😎

View attachment 115504 View attachment 115505

You could also get it under 50lbs with a 190mm Zeb fork 😁

Well done though. 👍

Not going to lie though, my OCD is working overtime with the length of your rear brake line.......LOL

Last edited:

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
The battery arrived and the complete weight is 50lbs on the dot. I could get it under 50 if I put the RockShock shock back on since it’s 150g lighter than the Fox shock. But I like the Fox too much to take it off. First ride tomorrow!🤘🏻😎

View attachment 115504 View attachment 115505
That's an impressive weight, have you got ultra light wheels to get to that?
If my bike is anywhere near that I'll be chuffed.
Mines been delivered the other way round to you, I got my battery yesterday and now waiting for the bike.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
You could also get it under 50lbs with a 190mm Zeb fork 😁

Well done though. 👍

Not going to lie though, my OCD is working overtime with the length of your rear brake line.......LOL
I do need to shorted the rear brake line and dropper cable a bit. I almost did when it was done, but I was too anxious to finish it and ride. But I’ll do it, because it’s bugging my ocd too. It’ll save me a few more grams as well. 😂

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
N

NICE. How long did it take for everything to ship?
The shipping via regular mail was pretty fast. They shipped on Monday and I got the frame on Saturday and the battery on Monday. No paperwork to fill out and no extra customs fees paid. 👍🏼

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
That's an impressive weight, have you got ultra light wheels to get to that?
If my bike is anywhere near that I'll be chuffed.
Mines been delivered the other way round to you, I got my battery yesterday and now waiting for the bike.
Thanks Paul. The wheels are pretty light, but still really strong. They’re Light Bikes 40i carbon rims, Tune hubs and Berd spokes. I had 800 miles on my last Voima with the same wheels before I sold it and there were plenty of bike park miles and black diamond trails ridden and they held up great. But it’s not just the wheels though, literally every other part was chosen with weight in mind, while still being durable even down to the ti & alloy bolts replacing all of the steel bolts.

Last edited:

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Thanks Paul. The wheels are pretty light, but still really strong. They’re Light Bikes 40i carbon rims, Tune hubs and Berd spokes. I had 800 miles on my last Voima with the same wheels before I sold it and there were plenty of bike park miles and black diamond trails ridden and they held up great. But it’s not just the wheels though, literally every other part was chosen with weight in mind, while still being durable even down to the ti & alloy bolts replacing all of the steel bolts.
Did you notice the new bike being any lighter than your first one?

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
The shipping via regular mail was pretty fast. They shipped on Monday and I got the frame on Saturday and the battery on Monday. No paperwork to fill out and no extra customs fees paid. 👍🏼
I’m starting to thing it may be cheaper to ship to my dad’s house in the US than to my house in the UK, especially if you guys are avoiding customs/import duties. I usually make a trip back a year, could just bring it back with me like I do pretty much everything else.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah its a really impressive build weight. Particularly by adding an extra .5kg with the fox 40.

I'll be pleased if I can get mine in the 24kg range.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Did you notice the new bike being any lighter than your first one?
Yes, the new one is definitely lighter. The old one with the same build but with the Rockshox shock was 50.8lbs. This one with a 150g heavier fox shock is 50.00 even. So maybe a pound difference if they were both weighted with the same shock.

Jay29er

Subscriber
Jun 30, 2022
TN
Didn’t know if this has happened to others but received a bill from FedEx today for my battery. Total: $42 in the US for custom fees.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Didn’t know if this has happened to others but received a bill from FedEx today for my battery. Total: $42 in the US for custom fees.
That’s weird. I haven’t gotten that, yet. I only just received my battery yesterday though. If they send me a bill, I should send them a bill since my battery arrived with some cosmetic damage on the plug end of it from mishandling. Luckily it still works fine though.

IMG_2560.png

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
First ride with the new Race ID today and I have to say, it rips! So stoked to finally have it. I just need to take it to my LBS to have them recalibrate the wheel size from 29 to 27.5 so I can get to the 20 mph speed limit. It’s only 16ish mph right now. But it hauls ass in race mode up until it hits the speed limit. Still set a bunch of PR’s today even though the trails were so overgrown and I was getting whipped in the eyes, (forgot my glasses today) from all of the mustard plants.

IMG_8185.jpeg IMG_8193.jpeg IMG_8192.jpeg IMG_8195.jpeg

Jay29er

Subscriber
Jun 30, 2022
TN
That’s weird. I haven’t gotten that, yet. I only just received my battery yesterday though. If they send me a bill, I should send them a bill since my battery arrived with some cosmetic damage on the plug end of it from mishandling. Luckily it still works fine though.

View attachment 115617
The invoice date shows 5/17/23 and it was received on 5/13/23.

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
I’m starting to thing it may be cheaper to ship to my dad’s house in the US than to my house in the UK, especially if you guys are avoiding customs/import duties. I usually make a trip back a year, could just bring it back with me like I do pretty much everything else.
Not sure how much you would save, as if you do to the states
I got my battery the other day here in the UK , I had to pay £153 duties!

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
First ride with the new Race ID today and I have to say, it rips! So stoked to finally have it. I just need to take it to my LBS to have them recalibrate the wheel size from 29 to 27.5 so I can get to the 20 mph speed limit. It’s only 16ish mph right now. But it hauls ass in race mode up until it hits the speed limit. Still set a bunch of PR’s today even though the trails were so overgrown and I was getting whipped in the eyes, (forgot my glasses today) from all of the mustard plants.

View attachment 115618 View attachment 115619 View attachment 115620 View attachment 115621
Really does highlight (looks wise) how much the bike suits a dual crown fork....dammit!

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Just a quick comment on how this compares to building a carbon frame.

I just built up a 2024 Canyon Strive Full Carbon emtb from scratch. To fit the chainstays and seatstays was pretty tricky - everything requires a bit of movement / bending and pulling and to align everything for the bolts to pinch down straight. There's probably 0.3-1mm or so difference in the finished carbon product compared to the CAD, which means when building it it just doesnt quite line up properly without some kind of intervention (eg, using human force to fit it!).

In stark contrast, the Pole fit together like a dream, everything was in perfect alignment. No bending, pushing, pulling at all, it all goes together like a perfect fit. The axles line up perfect, the big oversized bearings and bolts all aligned perfect and bolts pulled through like a hot knife through butter... It was actually a really pleasant thing to assemble.

Thats the difference between a computer building a frame to 0.1mm tolerance and a human laying up a carbon frame to some kind of guide and everything being *almost* in place, but not perfect.

The end result is that the canyon will place different loads on the bearings / pivot points at different stress levels and will likely require more frequent maintenance (especially on the smaller bearings) where as the Pole will have lesser stresses places on these areas, and the bearings will most definitely perform better for longer (and they are much larger bearings too).

The Pole suspension will also be able to perform at near 100% as design, and the Canyon will likely not quite be quite as effective (95%?)

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 08.16.33.png

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 07.59.08.png

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
’m not overly bothered by the weight but it is a step up from previous frames…

Frames with motor, battery, cranks and axle fitted.
S4 Kenevo SL 8.15kg
S4 Gen 3 Levo 11.25kg
K2 Voima 13.7kg

Last edited:

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk

S4 Kenevo SL 8.15kg
S4 Gen 3 Levo 11.25kg
K2 Voima 16.2kg
Really I'm surprised that the levo is 5 kilos lighter?

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney

S4 Kenevo SL 8.15kg
S4 Gen 3 Levo 11.25kg
K2 Voima 16.2kg

This surely can’t be right. I have or have had all these. The gap between the Levo and Voima seems too large.

I took Delivery of my K3 Voima today. There’s no way it’s a 5kg heavier frame.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Just a quick comment on how this compares to building a carbon frame.

I just built up a 2024 Canyon Strive Full Carbon emtb from scratch. To fit the chainstays and seatstays was pretty tricky - everything requires a bit of movement / bending and pulling and to align everything for the bolts to pinch down straight. There's probably 0.3-1mm or so difference in the finished carbon product compared to the CAD, which means when building it it just doesnt quite line up properly without some kind of intervention (eg, using human force to fit it!).

In stark contrast, the Pole fit together like a dream, everything was in perfect alignment. No bending, pushing, pulling at all, it all goes together like a perfect fit. The axles line up perfect, the big oversized bearings and bolts all aligned perfect and bolts pulled through like a hot knife through butter... It was actually a really pleasant thing to assemble.

Thats the difference between a computer building a frame to 0.1mm tolerance and a human laying up a carbon frame to some kind of guide and everything being *almost* in place, but not perfect.

The end result is that the canyon will place different loads on the bearings / pivot points at different stress levels and will likely require more frequent maintenance (especially on the smaller bearings) where as the Pole will have lesser stresses places on these areas, and the bearings will most definitely perform better for longer (and they are much larger bearings too).

The Pole suspension will also be able to perform at near 100% as design, and the Canyon will likely not quite be quite as effective (95%?)

View attachment 115701

View attachment 115700
Sorry Rob, but I have to call you out on this post.

A properly designed carbon frame will be layed up into a cnc cut mould, all bearing housings and areas that require precision will be set by the mould. The layup variance , though critical to strength of the design should not effect bearing/pivot tolerances. In effect a properly designed carbon mould will be as accurate as cnc cut parts. You could make an arguement that carbons frames layed up in the same non changing mould will be more accurate than cnc machined parts over time as cnc machines experience tool wear and associated tolerance creep.

I'm just doing a full bearing replacement on my 2018 Rocky Mountain slayer suspension.

Ok I've had some challenges getting seized and grime packed beatings and bolts out.... that's my own fault for leaving it too long between maintenance intervals.

When I clean up the parts and press the bearings backing and reassemble the suspension everything fits like a glove.

The tolerances on that carbon frame are bang on....

I think what you experienced is some poor attention to detail to design tolerances for the carbon frame....

Ps, my day job Is designing and manufacturing. You can have a fantastic design but it can all turn to shit if you get the manufacturing tolerances wrong.... and or dont spend enough time and money on the tooling/jigging.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles