Pole S-Onni (Sonni)

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Eh, I ordered a K3 S-onni. My Norco Range VLT has a frame crack, so I liked the idea of this. I'm a bit worried as I'm not a light rider (125kg plus gear), so I should probably think about that a bit more, but overall I'm excited.
what year and what part of the frame cracked?

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
what year and what part of the frame cracked?
2020 - the bottom pivot where the rear triangle connected looked to have cracked. Additionally, the very first day I had the bike, a rock bounced up on my shakedown ride and wedged itself between the main suspension rocker and the seat tube and took the paint off - I never checked to see if it fully cracked. I did get a warranty frame which was great of Norco, so I can check! I decided to keep the reservation for the Sonni so the Range will prob be up for sale soon!

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
2020 - the bottom pivot where the rear triangle connected looked to have cracked. Additionally, the very first day I had the bike, a rock bounced up on my shakedown ride and wedged itself between the main suspension rocker and the seat tube and took the paint off - I never checked to see if it fully cracked. I did get a warranty frame which was great of Norco, so I can check! I decided to keep the reservation for the Sonni so the Range will prob be up for sale soon!
Good to know. I had a 2016 range (enduro not vlt) that the chainstays snapped on which was a known problem. I've got a 2023 range vlt now.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
The PinkBike review of the Pole Onni Enduro is out and is effectively a first formal review of the Onni (and by implication, Sonni) and it's suspension, geometry, and ride characteristics.

View attachment 127560
More later on this...

A related follow up review regarding fireroad downhill speed of the all the bikes on test. Almost zero standard deviation with the Onni right in the middle. Heaviest bike was the fastest and lightest bike was the slowest. With e-bikes some 10+ lbs heavier, these result probably don't translate meaningfully the Sonni regardless of rear travel choosen.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Pinkbike's notorious, at least as far as Pole is concerned, Huck-to-Flat of the Onni is an interesting video as it shows the slow-motion articulation of the Onni (and effectively, Sonni as well) suspension. It's worthwhile to note that the Onni's performance here was the most solid and cleanest of the bunch (IMHO), and other bikes were downright awful - even the thorny, snarky, and critical commentariat agree this time on this observation.

Last edited:

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Deviation was large on than test, sometimes landed head first, sometimes back first. Landing should be 100 % even to evaluate suspension balance. But it was definitely interesting to observe how tires and suspension interact and how heavily these occasions affect to chain - derauliers were not specsed.

Jul 6, 2023
Bellingham and Rotorua
Hmmm. It's still not for me. I just wont do a bike with a dog ball dangle motor like that.
The bash guard is a mud catcher and will be a hard stop if scraping along something. I assume they must also add a pe slider as well. no proper drink bottle mount, c of g higher up...

Just too many compromises.

I've checked my pe bash guard and there are some scapes up high. It wouldnt happen often. But there is a ris to catch the motor.
Hey Plummet, I'm not sure how to send a message, so maybe you can send me one...I'm either going to wait six months and get an ebike (probs a pole) in the US when I'm back there, but I'm considering getting one here and figuring out what to do with the battery later. I wanted to ask how much shipping, import, and GST turned out to be getting your voima into NZ

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Hey Plummet, I'm not sure how to send a message, so maybe you can send me one...I'm either going to wait six months and get an ebike (probs a pole) in the US when I'm back there, but I'm considering getting one here and figuring out what to do with the battery later. I wanted to ask how much shipping, import, and GST turned out to be getting your voima into NZ
I would buy it in the US, it will come out cheaper. I’m in the UK and usually buy all my bikes in the US, only one I bought here was my Levo since I didn’t want to deal with shipping the battery. I know 2 people that have had Pole bikes shipped to the US and neither have had to pay any extra fees, that alone would save you over a $1k.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand

There is no import duty into NZ. Shipping was about $200Euro. When you go to the Pole website put in your location and Pole will remove their tax from the pricing. GST is payable on the sale. But sometimes the bikes go straight through customs without getting stopped for gst. So its a lottery whether you get charged or not. So plan to be charged gst then be pleasantly surprised if it slips through.

You need to request an import license for any goods over $1000. Its a pretty straight forward process.

Pole said they could ship the battery. But it got rejected in Aus because fedex lacked a DG license into nz. Pole then procured a battery from Bosch in NZ and shipped it too me. It didn't cost me any more but delayed my riding of the bike by 3 weeks. Out of the 4 Voima's i know of in NZ they all had issues getting batteries here. If Pole say the can ship it. Politely suggest it might be a better idea for them to procure from Bosch NZ.

Getting batteries in and out of NZ is a major pain in the arse. If you wanted to take the Pole too and from NZ to US i'd suggest having a battery in each location.

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
Looks like the bikes are finally ready for production - sounds like there will be a new video released soon (Sonni was mentioned). I'm looking forward to it - I've ordered a K3, so I know I'll be a little behind (my supposed date is mid-Dec), but it would be nice to get it for Christmas! I've got some shiny silver Hope T4V4's and Rotors ready, along with some silver North Shore Billet Daemon pedals that should look pretty great on the bike.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
My Sonni should be shipped week commencing 4th December. Unfortunately the fella who was buying my Voima has bought a new frame, so mine is back on the market. Let me know if anyone is interested

https://www.emtbforums.com/threads/2022-pole-voima-k2-£2800.36225/

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
My Sonni should be shipped week commencing 4th December. Unfortunately the fella who was buying my Voima has bought a new frame, so mine is back on the market. Let me know if anyone is interested

Did you ever weigh your Voima frame? Would like to see a weight comparison of your arriving Sonni as this short from Leo implies that there may not be much of a difference. Did you get a K1 or K2?

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area

Did your Sonni arrive?

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
Unfortunately not yet and I’ve sold my Voima
Any shipping notice? I should be a week behind you (K3 for me), but haven't heard anything this week. My most recent update had the week of Dec 11 to be the build week, so I'm not sure how long it takes to ship after that.

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
I've been advised my voima due this week is delayed till February.
Don't know if the sonni is equally effected.
Yeah hopefully we find out - I wonder if yours was pushed as ours were originally scheduled for Sept and were moved to now (ish).

guile80386

Jan 23, 2022
PT
My K2 Storm Gray Sonni was supposed to be built and shipped on Dec. 8th (week 49) and it has been delayed to the 1st week of 2024. I did order it on Oct. 2nd.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali

Nice to have Pole factory only 150km from my home :)
Picked up my K2 Sonni couple of weeks a go.
Damn this bike is good!
I had k2 volma before.
Nice! Which one did you get 200/190 downduro? How does it compare so far with the Voima?

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
200/190 downduro with mullet conf. For winter I changed 29 rear wheel.
Sonni is a bit smaller and you can feel it. It is more agile, easier to wheelie etc. Stiffness is easy to notice even wintertime with spikes.
Nice. A buddy of mine just ordered the Downduro team edition. I’d consider one, but I’m too happy with my Voima Race ID that I got just before the Sonni was announced.

ylisuutari

Aug 17, 2023
Finland
Nice. A buddy of mine just ordered the Downduro team edition. I’d consider one, but I’m too happy with my Voima Race ID that I got just before the Sonni was announced.
Voima is really good and I like a lot as well, but I think Sonni suites better for my purposes which are over 80% DH and bikeparks.
Few upgrades waiting for summer and bikepark season, but standard conf seems to work pretty nice as well :)

THA

Sep 16, 2023
Finland
Sonni seems more DH oriented than Voima - tighter sizing f. ex. Unfortunately (?) K0 not available. On the other hand, Voima size K0 is very agile and it is THE smallest 750 Wh emtb available - plus the weight is really comparable to any other bike with similar wheel set or suspension strokes. Pole has taken the path that other brands forgot...

Suns_PSD

Jul 12, 2022
Austin
During the PB review of the pedal bike version of the Onni (Sonni) the reviewers complained quite a bit about the rigidity and harshness of the chassis and the excessive feedback that the frame transmitted to the rider.
The bike also bottomed very hard and very often for the testers.
Any experiences around here with those two characteristics?
Thx

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles