Pole S-Onni (Sonni)

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
To be clear. I am not dissappointed with the Voima at all. It is god damn fantastic. It is performing as expected.

My gripe is not with the bike at all. It's with the fact I missed out on the opportunity of a potentially more suitable set by a factor of weeks. When I could have been informed of the potential of mullet options in the near future.

ah gotcha, yeah I'd have to agree with you on that.

I wonder how long it'll take it actually get the new bike out the door into customers hands though.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I think you were sort of done dirty.

That said, ride your bike for 1 year and reassess cause here is the thing, this stuff is advancing so quickly you'll probably be able to get the Sonni with the Revonte by next year.

I'm loving what Pole has coming out these days (although I literally only know of 2 personally, and both failed spectacularly, one on the first ride while on a far away bike trip) but I don't have trails nor speeds that seem suited to such big bikes.

All e-bikes are going to lose a lot of value quickly because of these rapid advancements. No way around it.
Yeah, You are right. I will ride the Voima like I stole it and see what next gen sonni looks like.
I don't like the exposed motor. Maybe rev 2 covers it up more cleanly.

I've had my "old man rants at clouds" rant. I'll get over in now and enjoy the shit out of the Voima.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Anyone want to buy a Voima frame? Built it in May 2022. Just had all bearings replaced and race axles fitted. Storm grey in size K2. The current motor has done 800 miles after the previous one packed up after circa 1500 miles. It is a really lovely bike, but the Sonni temptation was too much for me to handle.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
I know this is a stupid complaint but I really wish they had found a way to have a water bottle mount on the S-onni.
I’m not sure how Leo attached this, but he has a holder on the top tube. Obviously it’s not an ideal spot, but I suppose it’s better than nothing.

IMG_2716.jpeg

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Anyone want to buy a Voima frame? Built it in May 2022. Just had all bearings replaced and race axles fitted. Storm grey in size K2. The current motor has done 800 miles after the previous one packed up after circa 1500 miles. It is a really lovely bike, but the Sonni temptation was too much for me to handle.
From here on out, you are hereby condemned to provide a complete, detailed owner report to the forum on the different experiences of these bikes.

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
Eh, I ordered a K3 S-onni. My Norco Range VLT has a frame crack, so I liked the idea of this. I'm a bit worried as I'm not a light rider (125kg plus gear), so I should probably think about that a bit more, but overall I'm excited.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I’ve put 40s on my new Voima ID Race. It rides like a DH bike. I have zero buyer's remorse. This looks like a less practical and (even!) uglier version of what I have. Given the option, with full knowledge of the S-Onni, I’d make the same choice again.

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
That said, Pole don’t seem to have a coherent vision/delineation for their range. In analogue going from Machine to Stamina to Vikkela to Onni… there’s not a lot of differentiation. Likewise for their e-bikes.

Whatever. I love my Stamina and Voima. Rad bikes.

Jukka4130

Jun 27, 2021
Finland
That said, Pole don’t seem to have a coherent vision/delineation for their range. In analogue going from Machine to Stamina to Vikkela to Onni… there’s not a lot of differentiation. Likewise for their e-bikes.

That's one way to see it. On the other hand, one could argue that their view is that "more is more" when it comes to the amount of suspension travel. The lineup has moved steadily towards that.

Stamina and Voima are both bikes of the 1st order, especially the former!

Jul 6, 2023
Bellingham and Rotorua
Literally signed up to say....maybe interested in the K2 frame. I don't think I can PM as I'm a new member, but maybe you can send me one? Or I'll go make 10 posts (useful ones of course).

Blownoutrides

Mar 22, 2021
USA

Leo just seems to be interested in making great long travel bikes and not so much interested in what anybody thinks.

The sonni design decouples the motor from the frame’s structural hub which is now right above the motor. Seems like this is much more structurally efficient in terms of required material - No chasing loads through the motor.

Jul 6, 2023
Bellingham and Rotorua
To be clear. I am not dissappointed with the Voima at all. It is god damn fantastic. It is performing as expected.

My gripe is not with the bike at all. It's with the fact I missed out on the opportunity of a potentially more suitable set by a factor of weeks. When I could have been informed of the potential of mullet options in the near future.
Where in NZ are you? I'm in Rotorua. I have experienced the buy right before release thing and it's really frustrating. The Voima rides super well and glad you like it.

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
An American, A German and an Englishman get flown to Finland for a Pole factory tour and to ride their local trails. Sounds like a joke, but it isn’t.

It was a great experience and hats off to Leo and the whole Pole team for making the trip possible. The Finnish hospitality was impeccable. I’ll certainly be going back to the country to explore further.

I was lucky enough to be given prototype 2 Sonni to ride for the afternoon. I can report that it’s a really great bike. It’s a really engaging ride, really poppy and playful. My Voima feels more like a comfy chair compared to the Sonni which feels much more lively

Can’t wait for my Sonni to arrive later in the month

IMG_0872.jpeg

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
An American, A German and an Englishman get flown to Finland for a Pole factory tour and to ride their local trails. Sounds like a joke, but it isn’t.

It was a great experience and hats off to Leo and the whole Pole team for making the trip possible. The Finnish hospitality was impeccable. I’ll certainly be going back to the country to explore further.

I was lucky enough to be given prototype 2 Sonni to ride for the afternoon. I can report that it’s a really great bike. It’s a really engaging ride, really poppy and playful. My Voima feels more like a comfy chair compared to the Sonni which feels much more lively

Can’t wait for my Sonni to arrive later in the month

View attachment 124624
Well after 1000km on the Voima i'm really liking the bottle cage and charging with battery still in the frame option.
Plus i'm hitting 14ft step downs without bottoming out. So the Voima is plenty progressive enough for me, also the hydraulic bottom out on the arm is probably helping out too.

I would like the 1kg lighterness of the sonni. But lack of drink bottle and charging port would be a deal breaker. I'll be sticking with the Voima.

PS. I'm still not enjoying the "hairy dogs balls" motor dangling under the frame. The broken bones that would ensue if I really stuffed something and came to a dead stop wouldn't be worth the 1km of lightness. I lost the front riding down a log skinny last week. The protuding motor set up could have made that crash a lot more painful.

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Well after 1000km on the Voima i'm really liking the bottle cage and charging with battery still in the frame option.
Plus i'm hitting 14ft step downs without bottoming out. So the Voima is plenty progressive enough for me, also the hydraulic bottom out on the arm is probably helping out too.

I would like the 1kg lighterness of the sonni. But lack of drink bottle and charging port would be a deal breaker. I'll be sticking with the Voima.

PS. I'm still not enjoying the "hairy dogs balls" motor dangling under the frame. The broken bones that would ensue if I really stuffed something and came to a dead stop wouldn't be worth the 1km of lightness. I lost the front riding down a log skinny last week. The protuding motor set up could have made that crash a lot more painful.
I agree. I’ll also hold out for the Pinion MGU with belt drive or a Bosch equivalent.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
Website lists 200/200, 200/190 and 170/160 rear options.
Yeah, so only 200mm and 170mm rear options (ie. no 190/190). The 190 in the list is for the fork.

I agree. I’ll also hold out for the Pinion MGU with belt drive or a Bosch equivalent.
If Bosch buys out Pinion (the're both German after all), then we may see some quick progress. Otherwise, Pinion is based on niche battery tech/controller and up till now pinion has been purely mechanical tech. Bosch is huge and is as much a motor company as a battery company. It just now needs to be a gearbox company as well.

One thing in Sonni's favor is it's open motor design, which could more likely accomodate a motor-transmission retrofit when the time comes.

Last edited:

AdH

Feb 2, 2019
Mustang
Apologies folks, sleep deprivation after a long trip obviously causing my confusion. It was 190x200.

You’re correct, the battery does need to be removed to charge, but it’s removed with an allen key now. I have a spare battery and intend to rotate, so my bike will be forever fully charged

Missing bottle mount……… watch this space! The bike is in the very final throes of development and Leo is tweaking to perfection. expect one or two nice surprises

The ‘dangling ball sack’ gets a cover plate and a slider protector if you so desire, mine will certainly be getting one

I still love my Voima to bits, but it’s 18 months old now and the offer of a free race motor for the first 30 orders was a big pull for me, especially as the 2 year motor warranty starts again.

I’m only offering my thoughts after a wonderful trip to Finland and being lucky enough to be one of the first people on the planet to throw a leg over the Sonni. It’s a wonderful bike, slightly different from the Voima which is itself excellent. Pole continue to shake up the industry

IMG_0912.jpeg

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
After much deliberation, I've put in my final order upgrades as follows, and now I just have to wait!

Sonni K3
Raw clear (with matching battery cover)
CNC drive unit protector
Chainguard AB
Boxxer
Vivid Ultimate
Stock brakes (I have some Hope Tech 4 V4's in silver with 223 rotors waiting)
Mavic E-Deemax 29"
GX T-type
Mini remote

Quite excited - was tempted to get the stock drivetrain and put on Linkglide, but I'm hoping the T-type works well.

slickrock

Aug 7, 2022
SF Bay Area
After much deliberation, I've put in my final order upgrades as follows, and now I just have to wait!

Sonni K3
Raw clear (with matching battery cover)
CNC drive unit protector
Chainguard AB
Boxxer
Vivid Ultimate
Stock brakes (I have some Hope Tech 4 V4's in silver with 223 rotors waiting)
Mavic E-Deemax 29"
GX T-type
Mini remote

Quite excited - was tempted to get the stock drivetrain and put on Linkglide, but I'm hoping the T-type works well.
Mullet or not?

Also, anyone interested in the Enduro shorter travel version?

tbarjoe

Jun 30, 2023
Canada
Mullet or not?

Also, anyone interested in the Enduro shorter travel version?

Went full 29'er - no particular reason why. Open to be convinced (though it'll mean adding the swingarm sensor and rotor magnet if I change). Both sound fun.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles