Pick Up for Transporting MTB

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Well I am fed up with messing around with loading 1 bike onto the top of my car and the other squeezing into the rear after removing both wheels.
Not to mention all the mud associated.
So looking at Ford Ranger , Mitsubishi L22 etc, but how do current users load/hold there bikes in the back of there truck??? Want to keep both wheels on if possible.

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Tailgate method as well and I just use a cheap 6' x 9' tarp on sale for seven dollars folded up over the top of the tailgate. Just have to run a strap under and around the top tubes of all bikes so they don't lean into each other in turns and gouge the top tubes, which I learned the hard way.
Never remove a wheel again. If it rains on the bikes on the way home, that's a little less cleanup for me so that's great. Those tailgate pads are freaking expensive!
Mud is never a problem. Just wait till it dries the next day and then rub the tarp back and forth a few times on the front lawn, a few swipes with a wet sponge, and it is gone.
Works a treat!

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
As you can see from my avatar I have a Nissan Navara, a few years old but works a treat and is very comfortable to drive. I would avoid a Ford Ranger a for the simple reason the tailgate is a lot higher than the others, VW Amarok is a nicer cabin but under powered unless you get the V6 and the old model V6 Navara is the pick of the litter. A mate has his chipped with aftermarket exhaust and suspension and that goes very hard and still gets good fuel mileage.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
DAKINE1

Reactions: Dax

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Well I am fed up with messing around with loading 1 bike onto the top of my car and the other squeezing into the rear after removing both wheels.
Not to mention all the mud associated.
So looking at Ford Ranger , Mitsubishi L22 etc, but how do current users load/hold there bikes in the back of there truck??? Want to keep both wheels on if possible.

I went down the route of getting a ford ranger a fews years ago for easy transportation of bikes. I only kept it for a year. If you get a double cab the pickup space is quite small. You'll have to remove water all the time if you dont have a cover. Even the posh covers let in water. Its a ball ache having to lift bikes up high all the time. I sold it after 12 months and bought a vw transporter van. Much esier to roll bike on and off via rear or side door. Enclosed roofed space. My advice would be to geta van. Much more useful on many levels. It my everyday vehicle.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
As you can see from my avatar I have a Nissan Navara, a few years old but works a treat and is very comfortable to drive. I would avoid a Ford Ranger a for the simple reason the tailgate is a lot higher than the others, VW Amarok is a nicer cabin but under powered unless you get the V6 and the old model V6 Navara is the pick of the litter. A mate has his chipped with aftermarket exhaust and suspension and that goes very hard and still gets good fuel mileage.
So I bought an Amarok in January and I love it. It is comfortable and goes damn hard with the 250 or so ps. I put some wooden lugs under an old bike stand for easy load option.

20200401_173313.jpg

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I went down the route of getting a ford ranger a fews years ago for easy transportation of bikes. I only kept it for a year. If you get a double cab the pickup space is quite small. You'll have to remove water all the time if you dont have a cover. Even the posh covers let in water. Its a ball ache having to lift bikes up high all the time. I sold it after 12 months and bought a vw transporter van. Much esier to roll bike on and off via rear or side door. Enclosed roofed space. My advice would be to geta van. Much more useful on many levels. It my everyday vehicle.
Seems a bit of overkill just for transporting to and from the trail.

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Seems a bit of overkill just for transporting to and from the trail.
I thought that buying a truck would be a good move at the time for various life style reasons. I now have a converted VW T5. I think I will always from now on buy vans.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles