Pic of the Day

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Went out yesterday in the light rain because due to rain much more heavily today (which it is). Took a route which avoided the worst mud and ended up in West Dean, a pretty village with the Lavant River running through it. Then stopped dead when saw this in the village and took some pics - a tanker dumping treated [sic] human sewerage into the river Lavant. The river then flows through agricultural land overflowing its banks and then through the city of Chichester (where I live) and other built up areas before reaching the sea a few miles to the south. I'm also a kitesurfer but obviously not going anywhere near the eastern Solent where I normally kitesurf with this shit flowing into it! Southern Water are fucking bastards. 😠

20240228_151731.jpg 20240228_151750.jpg 20240228_151800.jpg 20240225_111140.jpg

Last edited:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The irony of the 'Water for Life' logo 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, signs along Centurion Way from Chichester to West Dean (soon to be extended to the South Downs hopefully) have the below warning sign posted several times along it's route. Have posted this pic before here but I'll post it again - says "to protect local homes". So which homes is this protecting? 🤔 It's plain PR speak lying.

20231229_124620.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yeah, signs along Centurion Way from Chichester to West Dean (soon to be extended to the South Downs hopefully) have the below warning sign posted several times along it's route. Have posted this pic before here but I'll post it again - says "to protect local homes". So which homes is this protecting? 🤔 It's plain PR speak lying.

View attachment 135444
“…but …but, ebikes are bad”.
WTF.🤬

Edit; There’s enough irony here to fill numerous septic tanks. This makes my blood boil.🤬

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
WTF.🤬
Dunno if it cuts across outside the UK but there is an ongoing scandal here where water companies in effect are dumping raw sewage into waterways in lieu of actually investing in treatment works. The rub of it is water was a public utility here for decades, was then privatised and ever since, debt has soared, investment plumetted, shareholders have cracked open the champers & you can't swim in the sea if you value your health. All this is set against a weak regulatory environment wherein there is no real disincentive to force the water co's to clean up their act.

And now back to our regular programming.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
And now back to our regular programming.
Wait! Here’s some more irony.
Many years ago I was faced with a deadline, by our provincial government, to stop pumping our poorly treated sewage into the waterways between Vancouver Island and the mainland of British Columbia. I had three years to raise the money and complete the project …otherwise 400 to 2000 homes would not be able to flush their toilets.

I welcomed this challenge. On a regular basis I would watch the Orca whales and other sea life pass by our rocky beaches during their migration. A cleaner waterway was possible and necessary in my opinion, but the project would cost $ millions.

But here’s the irony; The provincial capital, Victoria BC, pumps raw sewage directly into the waterways. You can collect used condoms and fresh turds from any of their surrounding rocky beaches.

How’d you like to swim in that? Gross

I’ll digress. 🙄

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
WTF.🤬

Edit; There’s enough irony here to fill numerous septic tanks. This makes my blood boil.🤬
We had a pork factory 🏭 half a mile from me on the coast .On a bad day you could swim with the Trotters . Offal lorry rear hatch leaked one Saturday night leaving a nice trail through the main drag. Not nice when you have on your high heels you know.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Hold on a minute...is that tanker truck dumping raw sewage or "treated" sewage in that pic? Not that it would matter much in my mind, but that sign says only "treated" waste water is released, but in systems that I'm familiar with, there would be no way you could transport the vast amount of treated water from a plant in just tanker trucks. Something doesn't sound right there.

As an example in my area, the city pipes treated waste water to a small lake that is cut off from normal fresh water sources. This water is really well treated, but it's not considered for drinking water obviously. Then the water from this lake is piped to golf courses and parks to water grass and such. So...how well treated is that water? It's one of the best fishing lakes in the area, and the water and fish caught there are tested by the state and found quite safe for anything but drinking or swimming.

My point is that even in a city that doesn't have a huge urban population, the amount of treated waste water cannot be handled by tanker trucks. It has to be piped. I question that the tanker truck in that pic is dumping treated waste water because it would be impossible to logistically accomplish that with tankers in most all cases...or...am I missing something different in that location?

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I question that the tanker truck in that pic is dumping treated waste water because it would be impossible to logistically accomplish that with tankers in most all cases...or...am I missing something different in that location?
1. As I said earlier in this thread, the river stinks! Pic of the Day

2. Read the warning on the sign.

3. This is not the only dump site.

4. This occurs when the treatment plant capacity is overloaded, as it is now. A direct result of under investment and as said earlier by @Binhill1 weak enforcement of existing legislation.

Edit: just seen what a local paper reports: River 'effectively dead' and 'blighted by pollution and sewage fungus'

Last edited:

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
They are creating ebike categories to run together with XCO style races over here.
Last november, I made a mistake and had my battery end before the last 4 kilometers, wich happened to be a 20% 3km climb where I had to walk uphill for half an hour, triggering a knee pain plus a golfer's elbow pain that lasted until last week.

rav-bike-itu-rafaorevolution-_366_.jpg
ravbikebrasil_etapa1_fhkawasaki-4324.jpg

Then, last sunday I came back, and prepared for the worst, carrying a spare 3kilogram battery on my backpack, just made another little mistake... on this course, the first climb up a 1.000 meters summit had a sigletrack, very technical, wich I could clear, if only there wasn't 100 bikers walking their bikes and clogging the course, so another half an hour pushing the bike uphill, only now with an extra 3 kg :(
This made my heart rate stay above 165 for almost two hours, way more than my cardio would consider a healthy threshold.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
They are creating ebike categories to run together with XCO style races over here.
Last november, I made a mistake and had my battery end before the last 4 kilometers, wich happened to be a 20% 3km climb where I had to walk uphill for half an hour, triggering a knee pain plus a golfer's elbow pain that lasted until last week.

View attachment 135506 View attachment 135507

Then, last sunday I came back, and prepared for the worst, carrying a spare 3kilogram battery on my backpack, just made another little mistake... on this course, the first climb up a 1.000 meters summit had a sigletrack, very technical, wich I could clear, if only there wasn't 100 bikers walking their bikes and clogging the course, so another half an hour pushing the bike uphill, only now with an extra 3 kg :(
This made my heart hate stay above 165 for almost two hours, way more than my cardio would consider a healthy threshold.
That's the price to pay for living in a wonderful place like Brazil. I had a few months work over there on a ship . I have great memories of the days I managed to get off the boat .

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Only thing missing is John Wayne on his horse
LOL!...I love those Saguaro cactus. They're that Hollywood icon for western movies. I always got a kick out of movie scenes that allegedly were occurring in Texas when those cactus were never natural here. I love riding in Arizona whether it's on a dual sport motorcycle or MTB.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
LOL!...I love those Saguaro cactus. They're that Hollywood icon for western movies. I always got a kick out of movie scenes that allegedly were occurring in Texas when those cactus were never natural here. I love riding in Arizona whether it's on a dual sport motorcycle or MTB.
I once had a holiday at Almaria in Spain once. Went to Mini Hollywood its a cowbow style town out in the wilds where they made some Spaghetti Westerns there . They put on a gunfight and horse show for you. When you look at the scenery you think you're in the wild west yeeha. Brilliant

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Here again. Another day at the indoor bike park. Still learning about the flat pedals 😜 View attachment 135510 View attachment 135511
OUCH!
The first time I felt your pain, I removed the pin from the centre of the leading edge of the pedal, both sides of each pedal. Now when the pedal hits my shin, although it still hurts like hell, at least the pin does not take a gouge out of my shin. :eek:

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Went out yesterday in the light rain because due to rain much more heavily today (which it is). Took a route which avoided the worst mud and ended up in West Dean, a pretty village with the Lavant River running through it. Then stopped dead when saw this in the village and took some pics - a tanker dumping treated [sic] human sewerage into the river Lavant. The river then flows through agricultural land overflowing its banks and then through the city of Chichester (where I live) and other built up areas before reaching the sea a few miles to the south. I'm also a kitesurfer but obviously not going anywhere near the eastern Solent where I normally kitesurf with this shit flowing into it! Southern Water are fucking bastards. 😠

View attachment 135425 View attachment 135426 View attachment 135427 View attachment 135428
Went past there again today. No prizes for guessing what I saw. 😠

20240302_133024.jpg

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
OUCH!
The first time I felt your pain, I removed the pin from the centre of the leading edge of the pedal, both sides of each pedal. Now when the pedal hits my shin, although it still hurts like hell, at least the pin does not take a gouge out of my shin. :eek:
Hey, that is a good hint. I am using flat pedals with pins only since I bought my eMTB in 2022 and hag a couple of punches in my legs and even the long pants. Its not the pain but the discussions with my misses. 😒

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles