Pic of the Day

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Great pics . Has that snake had an extension added to its tail 🤔 bit of bling going on there.
The end of the tail near the rattler is typical, distinct markings of a Diamondback Rattlesnake. If you look closely, he is pissed off and about to coil up. I’ve heard, and not positive it is true, that there are somewhere near 250 rattlesnakes per acre in some areas. Right now is coming up on breeding season. I see one or hear one in the bushes near the trail almost every ride in the spring. They are out at night in the summer. Night rides or early morning rides in the summer are sketchy sometimes.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
The end of the tail near the rattler is typical, distinct markings of a Diamondback Rattlesnake. If you look closely, he is pissed off and about to coil up. I’ve heard, and not positive it is true, that there are somewhere near 250 rattlesnakes per acre in some areas. Right now is coming up on breeding season. I see one or hear one in the bushes near the trail almost every ride in the spring. They are out at night in the summer. Night rides or early morning rides in the summer are sketchy sometimes.
Maybe a stupid question. Do you wear any protective garment to not be bitten by surprise?

Not funny:
Colorado Springs man gets bitten by a rattlesnake while biking at Ute Valley Park | KRDO

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Wouldn't want to camp there then. Tent boxes must have been invented there. I was camping a couple of years ago and a fox stuck it's head in mates tent.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Wouldn't want to camp there then. Tent boxes must have been invented there. I was camping a couple of years ago and a fox stuck it's head in mates tent.
Just one or a couple? 😎

IMG_3109.jpeg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
A winter ride for me but at what cost ..my motor may be fkd ..
More of that later ..but for those who are familiar with it I did the Bolts Law( full) route in the North Pennines ..
I knew there was snow before setting off as I'd WhatsApped Phil at Consett last night ..
For about 3/4's of the ride I was as happy as a pig in shit ..but then the Purion display just went off killing the motor ..came back on then off a few times with me pressing random buttons ..the motor worked without the display for a while then it just stopped working altogether ..got home and the display came back on and it started to charge ..but then its stopped doing that now ( it hadn't run out of charge when it started playing silly buggers with 3 bars still showing prior to it going off ) ..so I will try again later but I'm already resigned to having to buy a new motor (this will be the second replacement with only 1200miles on this !) ..
Hey -ho ..pics from the ride ..
Shortly after starting from Edmundbyers
1000005537.jpg

1000005539.jpg

Above..The Peak in the far distance (zoom ) is Bolts Law 540m..which I would be approaching a lot later in the ride from the other side ( unfortunately pushing the bike 😡)
Two very fine gates on the way to Blanchland 😁 1000005538.jpg 1000005540.jpg
Blanchland , Northumberland ..a picture postcard village ..
1000005541.jpg

A water "feature" on the by-way over to Slaley Forest ..gotta keep those 4x4 boys happy ( grrr) ..and no I didn't take it
1000005542.jpg

Slaley Forest
1000005543.jpg

More standing water approaching Embley Fell ..
1000005544.jpg

The actual trail was holding a lot of water anyway without looking for more ..
1000005545.jpg

Back in Edmundbyers at the end of the ride with the bike hanging its head in shame 🫠
1000005546.jpg

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
A winter ride for me but at what cost ..my motor may be fkd ..
More of that later ..but for those who are familiar with it I did the Bolts Law( full) route in the North Pennines ..
I knew there was snow before setting off as I'd WhatsApped Phil at Consett last night ..
For about 3/4's of the ride I was as happy as a pig in shit ..but then the Purion display just went off killing the motor ..came back on then off a few times with me pressing random buttons ..the motor worked without the display for a while then it just stopped working altogether ..got home and the display came back on and it started to charge ..but then its stopped doing that now ( it hadn't run out of charge when it started playing silly buggers with 3 bars still showing prior to it going off ) ..so I will try again later but I'm already resigned to having to buy a new motor (this will be the second replacement with only 1200miles on this !) ..
Hey -ho ..pics from the ride ..
Shortly after starting from Edmundbyers
View attachment 135601
View attachment 135602
Above..The Peak in the far distance (zoom ) is Bolts Law 540m..which I would be approaching a lot later in the ride from the other side ( unfortunately pushing the bike 😡)
Two very fine gates on the way to Blanchland 😁 View attachment 135606 View attachment 135607
Blanchland , Northumberland ..a picture postcard village ..
View attachment 135608
A water "feature" on the by-way over to Slaley Forest ..gotta keep those 4x4 boys happy ( grrr) ..and no I didn't take it
View attachment 135611
Slaley Forest
View attachment 135612
More standing water approaching Embley Fell ..
View attachment 135613
The actual trail was holding a lot of water anyway without looking for more ..
View attachment 135614
Back in Edmundbyers at the end of the ride with the bike hanging its head in shame 🫠
View attachment 135615

Looks stunning my friend ….. did have a passing thought to join you but in the end that’s all it was 🤭.
Stunning pics tho.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The testing of the freshly installed Sicomtb Products rear mudguard and BikeYoke Willy couldn't have been better. As I reached the summit, it began to rain, and it continued all the way down the muddy slope. Naturally, when I reached the car park, the rain stopped, and the sun emerged. I then spent the next hour washing the bike in the mountain stream. 😄

View attachment 135603

View attachment 135604

View attachment 135605

View attachment 135609

View attachment 135610
That's not mud! :ROFLMAO:
That looks like you've ridden through one piece of dog shit! :unsure:

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Maybe a stupid question. Do you wear any protective garment to not be bitten by surprise?

Not necessary. They're not aggressive animals and would MUCH rather avoid human contact. He's stretched out across the trail because he's getting warm in the sun. Usually they'll get out of the way when they sense you coming. If you run over them with the bike, they'll probably die. If you through rocks at them, you'll hurt them and they could die. The best course of action is to stomp your feet as you walk up on them. They feel the vibrations and know it's time to move along. You can also nudge them along with a long stick.

Most snake bites are from people intentionally provoking the snake. Some snakebites are because the person walked up without seeing the snake, and the snake was startled. If the snake has time to assess the situation, they'll realize you're too big to eat, you're big enough to inflict harm, and it's best to get out of dodge.

Cell4soul

E*POWAH Master
Jul 11, 2022
Mesa, AZ

Not funny:
Colorado Springs man gets bitten by a rattlesnake while biking at Ute Valley Park | KRDO
No, just keep your eyes out. They don’t want to strike and bites are somewhat rare, but it still freaks me out. I’d hate to step off my bike or crash In the wrong spot with one sitting in a bush next to the trail. Last September I came around a corner and had no time to stop. The snake was laid out across the trail. I only had time to lift my legs, run him over, and hope he couldn’t coil in time to strike. He wasn’t able to, but he was REALLY pissed afterwards. I tossed rocks in his direction to get him off the trail…..he moved right along.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles