E*POWAH Master
Jan 19, 2019
Just South of The Grand Canyon
Walmart Special!

20240219_174144.jpg

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Guys like Wade Simmons and Richie Schley got my attention back in the day and actually got my interest in mountain biking. I come from a long history of motorcycles, in particular dirt motorcycles and racing enduros. Bicycles were for kids, right?...LOL! Well, bicycles were changing and so was the kind of riding done on them. While I never got to the level of daring-do of Simmons and Schley, it was clear a whole lot of fun could be had on them...especially the longer travel, bigger hit bikes that were coming on the scene. I really credit those guys with changing the face of mountain biking...along, of course, with a lot of other similar personalities in the day like Brett Tippie.

Coming from dirt motorcycles with long travel and lots of durability for aggressive off roading, I was really disappointed with the level of suspension technology in MTB's back then. These guys as much or more than anyone helped push that move to better suspension.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Haha ... I am sure the original feature was built back when Wade was the King of Shore (mid 90s) and I bet he did it! He is still the Godfather of Mountain Biking and would probably hit it when it gets finished.

This trail was the most difficult on the Shore and preceded the trail with the big drops and jumps on it I was riding near today.

This is a video of "back in the day" when the North Shore earned its rep for being extreme. Most of these features have rotted away to the point they are unridable.

The trend these days is to use more of the natural features and less build up structures which are time consuming to keep in good working order.
Makes me realise that I've always just been playing at it. That's so much in a different league from what I ever did. Respect

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
Makes me realise that I've always just been playing at it. That's so much in a different league from what I ever did. Respect
It's the same with everything though...

I enjoy playing golf, snowboarding and mountain biking. I'm probably below average at all 3... but I enjoy them. My friends probably think I'm really good because I spend a lot of time doing, but when you compare me to professionals, it's no comparison. When I go to the trails with a friend who doesn't ride much, they're amazed at how fast / care free I am... but if I was riding with a 'good' rider, I'd be way out of my depth!

I enjoying riding trails for exercise, fresh air, and get a buzz from coming down hills / trails fast with little jumps and hops off rocks and roots. I also enjoy going down the downhill routes, but probably do them at a fraction of the speed of experienced riders.
I have a family, a job, and responsibilities... so need to get home in 1 piece! That's always on my mind when I start pushing it... what if I have an accident!
When I was younger and care free, I didn't have these worries, and would quite happily take on huge jumps / gaps. That ship has sailed though!!

I took up snowboarding at 30, but it's one of these sports that I get to do 2 weeks a year (and have missed several years since having children). One Christmas I got a set of Oakley Flight Deck goggles - which have a small HUD screen in them. A gimmick, but it was quite interesting to see the piste map, or even a live speedo as you cruise down the hill.
I would be flying down the piste and see that I was doing almost 50mph, and it would immediately enter my head "imagine the damage I'll do to myself if I fall", and I'd slow down.

The fact is, a lot of what we can't do is down to fear rather than lack of skill / ability! If the consequences of injury weren't so high, we'd probably all push ourselves further.

On a different note - the risk of injury isn't an excuse for my golf not being good enough. I blame that on lack of practice 😂

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
It's the same with everything though...

I enjoy playing golf, snowboarding and mountain biking. I'm probably below average at all 3... but I enjoy them. My friends probably think I'm really good because I spend a lot of time doing, but when you compare me to professionals, it's no comparison. When I go to the trails with a friend who doesn't ride much, they're amazed at how fast / care free I am... but if I was riding with a 'good' rider, I'd be way out of my depth!

I enjoying riding trails for exercise, fresh air, and get a buzz from coming down hills / trails fast with little jumps and hops off rocks and roots. I also enjoy going down the downhill routes, but probably do them at a fraction of the speed of experienced riders.
I have a family, a job, and responsibilities... so need to get home in 1 piece! That's always on my mind when I start pushing it... what if I have an accident!
When I was younger and care free, I didn't have these worries, and would quite happily take on huge jumps / gaps. That ship has sailed though!!

I took up snowboarding at 30, but it's one of these sports that I get to do 2 weeks a year (and have missed several years since having children). One Christmas I got a set of Oakley Flight Deck goggles - which have a small HUD screen in them. A gimmick, but it was quite interesting to see the piste map, or even a live speedo as you cruise down the hill.
I would be flying down the piste and see that I was doing almost 50mph, and it would immediately enter my head "imagine the damage I'll do to myself if I fall", and I'd slow down.

The fact is, a lot of what we can't do is down to fear rather than lack of skill / ability! If the consequences of injury weren't so high, we'd probably all push ourselves further.

On a different note - the risk of injury isn't an excuse for my golf not being good enough. I blame that on lack of practice 😂
So true what you say Jack of all Master of none. I had a great ski holiday last year like you one week a year is all i do .Have not done Scottish skiing for at least 10 years. I said I should make that my last but no went again a month ago vis was not good on a few days definitely my last unless i win lottery . I find it scarier skiing now the last few years, especially if lots of folk behind me. Same with Seakayak very fair weather at sea or a flat loch . Still do hills same again shorter ones . If i could only have one it would be hard choice between biking or walking. Big 70 next year so all in all I'm still doing OK. I've been lucky I get a lot of scouf from my wife. Rant over .

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Went to the shopping mall, after my ride yesterday, to pickup a few printed pics from London Drugs Pharmacy. The lineup (queue) was 20 minutes long. I’d rather ride a double black with one arm behind my back. But I n the end it was worth it and fairly cheap.

IMG_7448.jpeg

A few more pics for my garage wall collection, ready to be framed and displayed.

IMG_7451.jpeg

I’ll find a spot on this cluttered wall for these 6 new pictures. I call this the “Wall of Fame”. A couple rules; wearing a helmet or riding a bike or you’re an animal or anything mountain bike related. 😉

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Went to the shopping mall, after my ride yesterday, to pickup a few printed pics from London Drugs Pharmacy. The lineup (queue) was 20 minutes long. I’d rather ride a double black with one arm behind my back. But I n the end it was worth it and fairly cheap.

View attachment 134858
A few more pics for my garage wall collection, ready to be framed and displayed.

View attachment 134859
I’ll find a spot on this cluttered wall for these 6 new pictures. I call this the “Wall of Fame”. A couple rules; wearing a helmet or riding a bike or you’re an animal or anything mountain bike related. 😉
I'm presuming her who must be obeyed wouldn't let you hang them
on the living room wall. Good idea though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

It's the consequences that defeat me, every time. :(
But once I've done it once, I am usually (not always) amazed at how much easier it was than I thought it would be! :unsure:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
….in combination with a Cappuccino or hot chocolate? You might try wieners with chocolate cream (nutella), what is not bad. 😁
It’s funny the things that tickle our palate.
Having lunch with the crew once and discovered that I forgot my spoon for my chocolate pudding cup. Used a pepperoni stick instead.

Pepperoni and chocolate pudding …yummy! 🤤🤤

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
It’s funny the things that tickle our palate.
Having lunch with the crew once and discovered that I forgot my spoon for my chocolate pudding cup. Used a pepperoni stick instead.

Pepperoni and chocolate pudding …yummy! 🤤🤤
😂 Hot chocolate!
Oh wait! By pepperoni you mean the sausage not the chili (what we say in Germany), right? Then its „just“ Chocolate on a stick!

Well, we have the next heavy storm heading with lots of rain to our region. No good outlook for getting out on the bike for new pics to share. 😏 But hey, what a opportunity to test my new watertight jacket! 🤪

IMG_3093.jpeg

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
A hot pork pie covered in hot mushy peas, with mint sauce! In a bowl, not on a plate. :love:
Yum, yum! It was a local delicacy in the part of the UK where I grew up.
Not had it for years. Must do something about that. :giggle:

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It's the consequences that defeat me, every time. :(
But once I've done it once, I am usually (not always) amazed at how much easier it was than I thought it would be! :unsure:
I agree completely which is why I wear all the pads I can put on when I do the stuff that makes me nervous. I used to be able to jump off the bike and land on my feet when I crashed but since I broke my foot and tore the tendons in my other ankle, I ride way more reserved these days.
This feature used to scare the crap out of me as the run in is a pretty steep rock slab and the drop used to be bigger. After doing it many times, it's routine and I don't even notice it. Practice makes better!
20240220_184026.jpg

Steve38

Sep 10, 2020
Adelaide, Australia
A hot pork pie covered in hot mushy peas, with mint sauce! In a bowl, not on a plate. :love:
Yum, yum! It was a local delicacy in the part of the UK where I grew up.
Not had it for years. Must do something about that. :giggle:
Here in South Australia it's a Pie Floater
Beef Pie covered in Pea & Ham Soup with Tomato Sauce
Iconic !

1708494740595.png

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
I agree completely which is why I wear all the pads I can put on when I do the stuff that makes me nervous. I used to be able to jump off the bike and land on my feet when I crashed but since I broke my foot and tore the tendons in my other ankle, I ride way more reserved these days.
This feature used to scare the crap out of me as the run in is a pretty steep rock slab and the drop used to be bigger. After doing it many times, it's routine and I don't even notice it. Practice makes better!
View attachment 134921
My highest respect!👍 How often did you ride to get enough practice and confidence / routine to ride such structures? Daily? 🤔

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles