Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
IMG_20230811_115702.jpg

That white cloud is Mont Blanc.

TimC7

Ovine Assaulter
Apr 22, 2023
UK
Daily morning ride to get to some trails. Glad I look up once in awhile. Surprise! View attachment 122842
Tried backing up but he just kept coming.
View attachment 122843
Eventually backed into a hiker. (Not sure who was worse). View attachment 122844
The hiker and I backed into an exit of another trail. The big guy just kept coming. View attachment 122844

We let him safely pass. 400lb+ black bear…couldn’t even care about us.
You're completely safe . . no way can hiker run faster than you can ride!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Is that Burke? I wonder if it was the same one I saw last month when I was riding up the road to Deliverance. I yelled and yelled at the bear but he kept walking towards me. I pulled off to the side of the road as far as possible but it kept walking and eventually went into the bush beside the road around 20 feet from me. I was shaken but not enough to ride back down THAT road!
Yup, Burke. Woodlands walk side though. I’ve seen this guy several times around Six and upper Franks. It’s likely the same guy that you ran into …big, slow moving and not getting out of the way.

I did have a face-to-face with a bigger guy, just above Franks trail, a few years ago. Scared the crap out of both of us. We met on a corner. A few months earlier he took my backpack, iPhone and energy bars. Lesson learned.

If I lived where you do a spare pair of undercrackers and a bog roll would be an essential part of my back pack kit ..
He was a big lad !
A Boy-Scout is always prepared 😉😳🐻🌋🧻,. I still hate when it happens though 🤬.
If you had carried on riding towards him and shouting would he have run into the hedge or attacked.
Most bears yes…but not this guy. I had to give him room. You could tell he wasn’t gonna move out of the way.

He’s probably the father of some bears we see here. The grandfather is friggen big though.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Daily morning ride to get to some trails. Glad I look up once in awhile. Surprise!

Eventually backed into a hiker. (Not sure who was worse).
The hiker and I backed into an exit of another trail. The big guy just kept coming.

Daily morning ride to get to some trails. Glad I look up once in awhile. Surprise! View attachment 122842
View attachment 122843
Eventually backed into a hiker. (Not sure who was worse). View attachment 122844
The hiker and I backed into an exit of another trail. The big guy just kept coming. View attachment 122844

Now that's what I call a HAZARD! Scary stuff. There's nothing in the UK that can harm you apart from the usual rabid humans. There are endless debates about should we reintroduce Wolves or Bobcat/Lynx. Nothing doing on that front as the farmers and landowners don't think much of the idea. Don't think that anyone has really suggested bears in the forest!

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Now that's what I call a HAZARD! Scary stuff. There's nothing in the UK that can harm you apart from the usual rabid humans. There are endless debates about should we reintroduce Wolves or Bobcat/Lynx. Nothing doing on that front as the farmers and landowners don't think much of the idea. Don't think that anyone has really suggested bears in the forest!
Haven’t had an encounter with a Grizzly or Brown Bear yet but the black bear can be just as bad …or worse. I really worry about Cougars though.…oh! and some hikers.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Is that Burke? I wonder if it was the same one I saw last month when I was riding up the road to Deliverance. I yelled and yelled at the bear but he kept walking towards me. I pulled off to the side of the road as far as possible but it kept walking and eventually went into the bush beside the road around 20 feet from me. I was shaken but not enough to ride back down THAT road!
Went past Deliverance and followed the power lines down a few weeks ago. Connected to Jump Line. Rode up Jump Line for a while and then followed the trail back down to that steep road. Some of the features are way above my pay-grade, but a lot of work was done there. I should have took pics…next time.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
No riding today. Too smokey. Lots of fires in British Columbia this month.

Picture of Burke Mountian from my upper window. Hazy. Looks like fog with about 1/2km view.

IMG_7865.jpeg
IMG_6620.jpeg
Smoke is coming from the interior of BC. A few of our friends have lost their homes. Amazingly these homes were saved.
Firer Fighters having a well deserved rest.
IMG_7864.jpeg
Gonna watch the news and stay in the garage today. Work on the bike I guess. Screensho.jpeg

Edit; pic#1 is from my friend’s front door in Kelowna.
Pic#2 is from my upper window looking towards Burke Mountian.

Last edited:

Armor11

Dec 26, 2022
BC, Canada
No riding today. Too smokey. Lots of fires in British Columbia this month.

Picture of Burke Mountian from my upper window. Hazy. Looks like fog with about 1/2km view.

View attachment 122980
View attachment 122979
Smoke is coming from the interior of BC. A few of our friends have lost their homes. Amazingly these homes were saved.
Firer Fighters having a well deserved rest.
View attachment 122981
Gonna watch the news and stay in the garage today. Work on the bike I guess. View attachment 122982
Yup the Okanagan is not the place to be right now. We have friends that have lost their home, my boss is evacuated and suspects his home is gone as well, and numerous friends that are evacuated. We have fires around us in Keremeos as well and the air quality is less than optimal. Its an in door day today. Pic (doesn't do any justice to the view)was taken at 2pm, automatic lighting around my house perimeter is on!

Smokey.jpg

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
We rode through Keremeos 2 weeks ago to OK Falls. Always stop there. No smoke at that time but you could be in the middle of the mess soon. A few friends and family have lost homes in the Okanagan too. Smoke is drifting towards us, but it’s gotta be bad there.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Did the shortest coast to coast today. Ullapool to Ardgay. Missed the Train so horrible bus journey with bike in a bag. 50 miles battery went in the last mile.

View attachment 122970 View attachment 122971 View attachment 122972 View attachment 122973 View attachment 122974 View attachment 122975 View attachment 122976 View attachment 122977 View attachment 122978
Now that looks pretty interesting. Got any route details on that? How many miles or even km are we talking? And finally what's the sort of tarmac to off road ratio?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Now that looks pretty interesting. Got any route details on that? How many miles or even km are we talking? And finally what's the sort of tarmac to off road ratio?
Hi be about 25 miles off road land rover tracks mostly . Add on another 8 of tarmac at the Ardgay end and a few at Ullapool end. . Maybe 10 miles in middle was slightly rougher but still all cycleable used eco most of the time for just a few burst of turbo for a few short climbs not many to be honest and im no spring chicken. It shows single track in the rougher part but it's a land rover track. A couple of good Bothies as well ɓut that means carrying more kit. I go out with a mountaineering club and they were going to that area so bike on their bus and dropped off at Ullapool then made my own way back. Some folk do it and stay in Ullapool youth hostel and come back the opposite way the next day. This was the route i used but you need the ordnance map as a reference to get a closer look at what they are on about . Easy route finding though. Enjoy f you try it .I fancied it for years and its probably the only c to c you would manage on one battery charge.
Screenshot_20230821_194627_Chrome.jpg

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Hi be about 25 miles off road land rover tracks mostly . Add on another 8 of tarmac at the Ardgay end and a few at Ullapool end. . Maybe 10 miles in middle was slightly rougher but still all cycleable used eco most of the time for just a few burst of turbo for a few short climbs not many to be honest and im no spring chicken. It shows single track in the rougher part but it's a land rover track. A couple of good Bothies as well ɓut that means carrying more kit. I go out with a mountaineering club and they were going to that area so bike on their bus and dropped off at Ullapool then made my own way back. Some folk do it and stay in Ullapool youth hostel and come back the opposite way the next day. This was the route i used but you need the ordnance map as a reference to get a closer look at what they are on about . Easy route finding though. Enjoy f you try it .I fancied it for years and its probably the only c to c you would manage on one battery charge. View attachment 123044
Thanks. Looking quickly at the OS from Ardgay it looks like road via Strathcarron to Croick where you pick up the Strath Cuileannach track that takes you to the Old School House. From there it's down to Knockdamph (Loch an Daimh) & then Glen Achall to Ullapool. Would that be about right?

Sparkydave

Aug 7, 2018
Derbyshire, UK
Did the shortest coast to coast today. Ullapool to Ardgay. Missed the Train so horrible bus journey with bike in a bag. 50 miles battery went in the last mile.

View attachment 122970 View attachment 122971 View attachment 122972 View attachment 122973 View attachment 122974 View attachment 122975 View attachment 122976 View attachment 122977 View attachment 122978
How the heck are you getting 50 miles, that's some going? What are your assist settings in eco? Looks like a great ride btw 👍

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
20230817_115455.jpg

I find the rechargeable marine air horn easier than yelling usually give a blast entering tight spots, berry crop in our area slim pickings this year so it seems more bears wandering

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
How the heck are you getting 50 miles, that's some going? What are your assist settings in eco? Looks like a great ride btw
How the heck are you getting 50 miles, that's some going? What are your assist settings in eco? Looks like a great ride btw 👍
Yes agree a mega mile trip but I always wondered what I could get if i went to the battery limit . Most long trips ive done were about 42 ish with two bars still on .Anyway eco has been at factory recommended settings for a while now so 35 and 35. I probably only used turbo for a mile max. Last 12 miles I switched off occasionally but it was one of them Scottish roads that goes up and up and then a wee bit down before it goes up again . I would be 15 stone so no light weight. Battery done 9000 miles in just over 4 years so happy with that.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
View attachment 123050
I find the rechargeable marine air horn easier than yelling usually give a blast entering tight spots, berry crop in our area slim pickings this year so it seems more bears wandering
An air horn might work sometimes but Burke Mountian has an active gun range next to the entrance of the park. Gun shots don’t seem to bother the bears, only the hikers. Two of our trails are called “Bulletdodger” and “BulletCatcher”. I use both these trails and regularly see bears in the area. But any loud noise can help. I have a bear bell on my bar also …you get use to it after a while.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Yup the Okanagan is not the place to be right now. We have friends that have lost their home, my boss is evacuated and suspects his home is gone as well, and numerous friends that are evacuated. We have fires around us in Keremeos as well and the air quality is less than optimal. Its an in door day today. Pic (doesn't do any justice to the view)was taken at 2pm, automatic lighting around my house perimeter is on!

View attachment 122987
Our friends just left OK Falls. They said the smoke extremely bad in Keremeos. There’re home now (Coquitlam), which is a little better today. No riding here though.

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
An air horn might work sometimes but Burke Mountian has an active gun range next to the entrance of the park. Gun shots don’t seem to bother the bears, only the hikers. Two of our trails are called “Bulletdodger” and “BulletCatcher”. I use both these trails and regularly see bears in the area. But any loud noise can help. I have a bear bell on my bar also …you get use to it after a while.
Lots of factors at play of course mostly depending on how use to humans they are, they put down 21 problematic bears over the last 3 weeks in Prince George- maybe a biking holiday in Britain would be a good idea at least to hibernation season 😉

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Lots of factors at play of course mostly depending on how use to humans they are, they put down 21 problematic bears over the last 3 weeks in Prince George- maybe a biking holiday in Britain would be a good idea at least to hibernation season 😉
Haven’t heard of any bear attacks in this area or the Fraser Valley …yet. None, that I know of, have been put down either. There’s a good food source for them though. (Berries, salmon etc.) I think if they feel threatened …could be a problem.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles