deecea40-eb08-42e0-9a15-7cbc97e25e7c-76073024.jpg

look at that new paintjob :eek:

3a14f6ef-3036-4109-bc29-3cf914586255-76073024.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Broken man this morning ..for the second time the route we did yesterday took me in and spat me out ..
Myself and my mate Nick (for the first time ) did a route in the Tweed Valley from Traquair to take in the S.U.W/ Gypsies Glen / Old Drove Road to Peebles ( which I had done with our group 6-7 years ago) ..along the Southern Upland Way as far Blackhouse ..which was fantastic riding then it all went tits up ( as it had done back then ) on the track from Bucht Rig through to Whitehead Knowe ..there is simply no trace of this on the ground ..the GPS/ Viewranger was screwing with us and we were bumbling around in overgrown forest, tussocks , heather, moss & knee height bog for over 2 hours trying to get on track ..which was bad enough for Nick with his nice light Whyte hardtail ( no motor ) ..but my 60lb e160rs without the ability to use the walk assist..due to the ground conditions virtually had me on my knees ..
It's almost embarrassing to admit to this as we would both rate ourselves as competent map readers ..but this little area must be the equivalent of the Tweed Valley's Bermuda Triangle !
We eventually found the track we were looking for and had a fantastic drop down on the Old Drove Road to Peebles ..but thoughts of adding a section of Cardrona Forest onto the end of the ride were completely scrapped ..as I ran out of battery on my phone and without the ability to have GPS/ mapping ..we'd had enough drama for one day!..
Here is a snapshot of where it all went wrong and you will just have to believe me when I tell you that the GPS was screwing with us ..
Screenshot_20210519-061306_ViewRanger.jpg

You can see the route we should be following from this map ..
Screenshot_20210514-070359_ViewRanger.jpg

Start of the ride on the Southern Upland Way..
( fantastic track )..
20210518_111527.jpg

20210518_120351.jpg

Don't how knackered the bike was at this point but I was truly fkd..
20210518_165409.jpg

Frustration & relief etched on Nick's face as he realised that we weren't going to be wandering around aimlessly all night !
20210518_165250.jpg

Next time ( if there is a next time !) ..we will take the easier but shorter option on the road / track from Orchard Mains..shortly after leaving Traquair which sacrifices some good riding ..but is a helluva lot easier to follow ☺
Still a great ( character building !!) day out with some fantastic riding especially on the Old Drove Road section down to Peebles ..
Edit: In case you are wondering why this route was revisited after getting it wrong on this section all those years ago..We didn't have the benefit of GPS back then ..just a guide book which must have been 30(!) years old and a paper copy of a map ..I thought with the benefit of the Viewranger mapping we couldn't possibly go wrong ..big mistake !?

Last edited:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
This made me gasp!
View attachment 61901
It was MTB Bike pic of the year in 2014.
What the hell is that lead rider dropping into?
How lucky was that photographer to get the lead rider so perfectly framed?
And how many hours did he spend sitting there waiting for that shot? (Not lucky at all then!)
I've seen that pic before and was of the same opinion then ..that it had been photoshopped..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
True..although you mentioned the fact ..I hadn't really twigged it was in a competition ..☺

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Parked in Nambour then we went up to Kureelpa Falls Rd looking for the trail I saw on trail forks called the Knife`s Edge .

Headed to the falls .
Kureelpa-Falls-2-canva.png

Took a wrong turn . Got lost .Found the Python Break . Then went cross country on some horse trails , ended up coming out on Tyerleigh lane .
secreet-road-trips-kureelpa-falls-forest-trail-map1.JPG

Climbed a big hill on the bitumen and came out on Mapleton Rd . Rode down it through Dulong to Image Flat Rd opposite the quarry where we left our cars .

Kureelpa%20Falls%20Circuit%20Map.jpg

2014003256_11_pi_171115_032545-w3500-h2336-w1600-h1200

All`s well that ends well .

Last edited:

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
Out on the hardtail again this morning before the rain sets in.
Took in the picturesque hamlet of Mitford in the Wansbeck Valley.
With its-now ruined castle dating back to the Norman Conquest and “pill box”” from the Second World War. Paid my respects to the “fallen “ (who paid the ultimate sacrifice) in the church yard.
6B0E1A4D-CCE0-4E0E-8373-B6E1A5175235.jpeg
5A30146A-ECF1-4407-B661-8A4E34110D06.jpeg
0B656807-9AB1-4988-890F-A5C9AFA8FA07.jpeg
75E8C7BC-808D-41BE-9A12-991C42C4C12F.jpeg

philmedomsley

Apr 28, 2020
Durham
Broken man this morning ..for the second time the route we did yesterday took me in and spat me out ..
Myself and my mate Nick (for the first time ) did a route in the Tweed Valley from Traquair to take in the S.U.W/ Gypsies Glen / Old Drove Road to Peebles ( which I had done with our group 6-7 years ago) ..along the Southern Upland Way as far Blackhouse ..which was fantastic riding then it all went tits up ( as it had done back then ) on the track from Bucht Rig through to Whitehead Knowe ..there is simply no trace of this on the ground ..the GPS/ Viewranger was screwing with us and we were bumbling around in overgrown forest, tussocks , heather, moss & knee height bog for over 2 hours trying to get on track ..which was bad enough for Nick with his nice light Whyte hardtail ( no motor ) ..but my 60lb e160rs without the ability to use the walk assist..due to the ground conditions virtually had me on my knees ..
It's almost embarrassing to admit to this as we would both rate ourselves as competent map readers ..but this little area must be the equivalent of the Tweed Valley's Bermuda Triangle !
We eventually found the track we were looking for and had a fantastic drop down on the Old Drove Road to Peebles ..but thoughts of adding a section of Cardrona Forest onto the end of the ride were completely scrapped ..as I ran out of battery on my phone and without the ability to have GPS/ mapping ..we'd had enough drama for one day!..
Here is a snapshot of where it all went wrong and you will just have to believe me when I tell you that the GPS was screwing with us ..
View attachment 61937
You can see the route we should be following from this map ..
View attachment 61938
Start of the ride on the Southern Upland Way..
( fantastic track )..
View attachment 61939
View attachment 61940
Don't how knackered the bike was at this point but I was truly fkd.. View attachment 61941
Frustration & relief etched on Nick's face as he realised that we weren't going to be wandering around aimlessly all night !
View attachment 61942
Next time ( if there is a next time !) ..we will take the easier but shorter option on the road / track from Orchard Mains..shortly after leaving Traquair which sacrifices some good riding ..but is a helluva lot easier to follow ☺
Still a great ( character building !!) day out with some fantastic riding especially on the Old Drove Road section down to Peebles ..
Edit: In case you are wondering why this route was revisited after getting it wrong on this section all those years ago..We didn't have the benefit of GPS back then ..just a guide book which must have been 30(!) years old and a paper copy of a map ..I thought with the benefit of the Viewranger mapping we couldn't possibly go wrong ..big mistake !?

Its marginally easier to follow the trail across the moorland towards the forest in the other direction and of course its downhill. Still easy to find the waist deep bogs and football sized tussocks though. There is no easy or even ridable route.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles