Pic of the Day

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Titanium looks like stainless steel, but slightly darker. Many think it is stainless steel.
When titanium (and most steels including stainless) gets heated, it changes into several colours from yellow-orange to blue to coppery brown. You’ll see this in stainless steel header exhaust pipes. I can’t remember where I first heard the term ‘burnt titanium’ before - it might’ve been a paint colour sample book made for artsy interior decorators... ?

Hamina

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 22, 2020
FIN
"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents—except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets, rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness."

trekandforest.jpg

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Jumping on the night ride theme. Minus the romance novel!
966E2D55-11CB-4EAF-B115-1C22339F39D8.jpeg

26D5AAF0-4ED0-468B-A093-892405CBBEBA.jpeg

DF070DA6-F3A4-4201-A02F-141E9D593263.jpeg

Did see a ? which I was surprised about.

And got stopped by the police who had just interrupted a ‘couple’ in the car park to the local woods. Which wasn’t a surprise ?

copper couldn’t keep a straight face ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When titanium (and most steels including stainless) gets heated, it changes into several colours from yellow-orange to blue to coppery brown. You’ll see this in stainless steel header exhaust pipes. I can’t remember where I first heard the term ‘burnt titanium’ before - it might’ve been a paint colour sample book made for artsy interior decorators... ?
Fair enough I had not considered oxidised versions; even steel can go almost all of the colours of the rainbow. :)

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Strange 2 for 1 incident. 1 puncture and 1 crank falling off, both at the same time. That's on 2 different bikes. Crank fell off a few miles later so i insisted he tighten it right up.

View attachment 43574
Amazing photo! You could enlarge that and hang it on a gallery! The art piece could be titled...
How many men does it take to change a light bulb! Or... to fix a flat!

But hey no and all kidding aside, that really is a fantastic photo. I'd hang a canvas print of something like that on my wall.
It's more than just lighting and colour... the composition works so well to draw the viewer's eye to where everyone is looking.
Very pleasing... (y) (y)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I think that this is a fantastic photo. It won a prize in 2014. "Bike pic of the year" or something.
View attachment 43580

It always makes me wonder "where the hell will he be landing?"
WOW!
Makes me wonder about the odds of getting the first rider smack bang under the last rider's armpit! Once again, it's how the composition leads the viewer's eye to travel... the second rider establishes a 3D spiral path starting from left foreground to right middle ground to centre background.

I know of one way to recreate something like that...

Plant the camera on a tripod and set exposure to manual (so it stays consistent). Then take a separate photo when the riders reach each junction. Heck you could even use the same rider making one or multiple passes. Then the rest is just stitching them up in Photoshop.

BUT it will never be as good as that original though because that was done on the spur of the moment... either fluke or sheer genius! Candid photos trumps staged photos every time. Fantastic, thanks for posting that!

Last edited:

pavelmatic

Dec 3, 2019
Lörrach, Germany
WOW!
Makes me wonder about the odds of getting the first rider smack bang under the last rider's armpit! Once again, it's how the composition leads the viewer's eye to travel... the second rider establishes a 3D spiral path starting from left foreground to right middle ground to centre background.

I know of one way to recreate something like that...

Plant the camera on a tripod and set exposure to manual (so it stays consistent). Then take a separate photo when the riders reach each junction. Heck you could even use the same rider making one or multiple passes. Then the rest is just stitching them up in Photoshop.

BUT it will never be as good as that original though because that was done on the spur of the moment... either fluke or sheer genius! Candid photos trumps staged photos every time. Fantastic, thanks for posting that!

If it was a pro fotog, I’d bet it was probably one image out of a larger sequence of X pictures in a fast burst.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles