PEARTUNE 3.0 FOR SHIMANO EP8 2021 E-BIKE E-MTB TUNING KIT

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Anyone using this for their Bullit or Heckler? If yes what's your review.
Save your cash and reconfigure the motor to USA which increases the restriction from 15mph to 20mph. You can go as far as 50mph if you program the wheel diameter to the smallest circumference. Obviously do this at your own risk as certain laws may be broken in used on a public road etc.. 20mph is more than enough for most.

Aug 17, 2020
portugal
Save your cash and reconfigure the motor to USA which increases the restriction from 15mph to 20mph. You can go as far as 50mph if you program the wheel diameter to the smallest circumference. Obviously do this at your own risk as certain laws may be broken in used on a public road etc.. 20mph is more than enough for most.
And how do you that? How do you reconfigure to USA?

samzor

Dec 27, 2020
Switzerland
Hi @CRBB,
Did you find a solution for your Bullit ?Im thinking buying the peartune as when remove nothing can be found.If you rollback firmware they can see it and void warranty.

CRBB

May 19, 2021
Brunei
Nope, was thinking of buying the peartune, since i'm buying it via paypal if it does not work i'll just file a dispute for a refund what do you think? Maybe i'll buy it next week and let you know if it works!

Hi @CRBB,
Did you find a solution for your Bullit ?Im thinking buying the peartune as when remove nothing can be found.If you rollback firmware they can see it and void warranty.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Where can I find the info on them detecting firmware downgrades ?
Lots of people say that if you do this and that, the manufacturer can’t tell what’s been happening to the motor — they’re utterly convinced of this. They’re wrong and my evidence follows.

This is all about how hard the manufacturer — not the lbs — chooses to try and find out. Usually they don’t bother and warranty claims are sometimes an example.

But main thing of course is being caught in an accident where a claim might be made against you by really badly injured person on a private trail who can’t afford not to sue due to life changing problems. In this case whilst not illegal, so not criminal then, in the civil court if you are found guilty of causing the injuries by your riding/behaviour/lack of care, then the size of the financial penalty will be inflated if your bike is shown to have been de-restricted. Or, if you go on the road — just this once ‘cos it'll be ok ? — and the police get involved. All highly unlikely, yes, but ruinous if it happens. Also, the police can g]et involved in really bad accidents on private land and then bring charges relating to due care and attention (or lack there of).

So risk is the sum of likelihood + size of the consequence. With de-restricting, despite it being detectable after removal of a device or software change, the first part of the risk calculation — likelihood of a high stakes event where you really, really don’t want your de-restricted bike forensically examined, but it is and you thought removing the de-restriction would hide matters (but it doesn’t) — is small; microscopic probably.

But the last part — the consequences if it does happen — whilst unlikely are, in the event they come to pass, worth considering carefully, at the very least. They could be big.

And, to repeat, this is not a warranty point which will usually be OK, as it’s in everyone’s interest to make bikes work again rather than bully customers over a record in the memory that probably had nothing to do with an engine problem. It seems from the forums that LBS’s and the main motor manufacturers have chosen to avoid damaging their reputation for support at the start of a completely new type of bike — the Levo is a good example.

Anyway, haveing preached far to much, back to the question of detection. Read this article and note the author has every reason to convince the reader that there’s a way to leave no trace, but makes the polar opposite point. And there’s a vid on EMBN where Chris is explicit on the point and could have chosen just to say nothing.

Last edited:

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Hi @CRBB,

I use STUnlocker on my PC. You connect it via the Shimano SM-PCE02.

You don't have to downgrade your firmware when you connect to the PC and once you have made the change you can administer it via the STUnlock iPhone or Android app.

Really works a treat.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I use STUnlocker on my PC. You connect it via the Shimano SM-PCE02.

You don't have to downgrade your firmware when you connect to the PC and once you have made the change you can administer it via the STUnlock iPhone or Android app.

Really works a treat.

is stunlocker working for EP8 now ? , Has for me that vladl wrote in the stunlocker thread that it was a bit of a hassle with stunlocker for ep8.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
is stunlocker working for EP8 now ? , Has for me that vladl wrote in the stunlocker thread that it was a bit of a hassle with stunlocker for ep8.

I have an E8000 and EP8, both with the most up to date firware and I can alter settings on both when connected to my PC or Mac.

The hassle is that you need the SM-PCE02 and you need a Windows PC or Windows on Parallels on a Mac.

Honestly works a treat on both mine.

If you are UK/South East based I'd be happy to connect it up for you.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
I have an E8000 and EP8, both with the most up to date firware and I can alter settings on both when connected to my PC or Mac.

The hassle is that you need the SM-PCE02 and you need a Windows PC or Windows on Parallels on a Mac.

thanks for the offer but I have already changed my e8000 to US settings and it was very easy.:cool:. I have a friend who has bought a bike with ep8 and he was unsure if stunlocker worked

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
i would also be interested in this.

STUnlocker can do it. Depending on firmware you will either be ok or have to downgrade it.

Or you can use STUNlocker on your PC and connect via the SM-PCE02. Then it doesn't matter what firmware you are on, you can change to US settings with all current firmwares.

STUnlocker - you need the premium licence
SM-PCE02- you need to connect this to your bike and PC

If you are in the UK/South East I'd be happy to help out.

BTTR

May 18, 2021
LX
STUnlocker can do it. Depending on firmware you will either be ok or have to downgrade it.

Or you can use STUNlocker on your PC and connect via the SM-PCE02. Then it doesn't matter what firmware you are on, you can change to US settings with all current firmwares.

STUnlocker - you need the premium licence
SM-PCE02- you need to connect this to your bike and PC

If you are in the UK/South East I'd be happy to help out.

Hmmm... interesting.
So, if you have the SM-PCE02 you don't have to downgrade the firmware to change it to the US settings.

Do you know if that also works with the eTuning app?
I checked online for the SM-PCE02 , but the prices differ quite a bit and it says it's for the E8000, E7000, E6100, E6000, E5000 Steps, but it doesn't mention the EP8 motor.
Do all SM-PCE02 work fine with the EP motor?

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
You plug the PCE02 into any of the spare ports on your screen. Then you fire up etube on your pc and then STUnlocker. You need ST to make the change.

BTTR

May 18, 2021
LX
Got it, thanks.
But is there only one version of the PCE02? That surely works with the EP8?

I'm asking because the other day i bought a Shimano display to put on my Bullit, but it was not compatible with the EP8 motor. Was only for the previous ones.
And i don't want it to happen again...

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Yeah you have to have the right screw for EP8. But the Shimano connector works on both screens. At least it did for me. I have an EP8 and E8000.

Phatboi

Jun 24, 2021
Cardiff
Anyone with experience of Peartune 3.0 or Speedbox physical de restictor devices for Bullit / EP8?

Ive been told that Shimano are getting difficult (refusing) warranty claims as they seem to be able to detect that a UK bike has been re set to USA region and/or derestricted via software. Im trying to maintain my warranty at the moment so would prefer an alternative to ST unclocker.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
Anyone with experience of Peartune 3.0 or Speedbox physical de restictor devices for Bullit / EP8?

Ive been told that Shimano are getting difficult (refusing) warranty claims as they seem to be able to detect that a UK bike has been re set to USA region and/or derestricted via software. Im trying to maintain my warranty at the moment so would prefer an alternative to ST unclocker.
See my comment a few months ago. These changes can be detected by Shimano for themselves and by Shimano for others, for example if the police take an interest in something on private land or the road. Changing the password doesn’t help as the info is preserved after a reset of that.

Most, sensibly, don’t seem to worry about getting caught in a warranty claim or by the police actually choosing to go to the massive effort of getting the answers.

Some worry about it enough that they think about it quite a lot.

Others choose not to derestrict.

Your real decision is to decide which person you are…. your course of action is then clear. Don’t sweat it more than that 😊

Bike shops and Shimano aren’t generally going to want the publicity of becoming known to always chase this down - how would doing that make more money over the medium term? And they have no duty to check this simply because of the local laws, they just have to meet those laws at point if sale. They do check very occasionally, if the forums are to be believed.
The police in the U.K. simply don’t have the time to get involved in this unless a serious crime has been obviously caused by derestricting a bike. So, minor scooter incidents as opposed to severe scooter accidents which have caught the media’s attention help illustrate my point - you’ll have heard about that. Where dangerous use has caused a death (rare), every bit of data that can be retrieved is forensically and successfully retrieved, whether on public or private land/trails/roads and then used by the DPP in deciding what to do….

Last edited:

Username123

Jan 20, 2022
UK
Bit of an old thread but my post is pretty relevant I hope. I recently fitted a Speedbox on a Bullit ep8 and every time I used it I got a W10100 error, didn’t really affect the use of the bike but the motor would cut in and out usually whilst on a steady climb after 15 minutes or so and at approx 5-7mph. Never had an error when the unit was not fitted both before and after. It was returned for replacement but I noticed today I’ve actually been issued a refund. I’m now considering a peartune or if someone who has a Speedbox fitted to their ep8 can comment on any errors they have had or better still trouble free use. Can’t fault the supplier who was spot on with the sale and return. Much preferred the bike when derestricted.

Username123

Jan 20, 2022
UK
Just to update the above post. I went ahead and purchased the peartune unit. Quite a bit smaller than the Speedbox which was a major plus as space is tight on the Bullit with ep8. Similar connections to make and straightforward, the Speedbox perhaps had a better connector for one of the cables but bigger. Have only tried the bike once since fitting and had no issues, no faults and if anything the bike felt a little quicker when above the old speed restriction although just my perception. If I was doing it again I would go for the peartune due to size and of course the Speedbox gave me errors which in their defence could’ve just been a faulty unit.

Phatboi

Jun 24, 2021
Cardiff
I had problems with speed box, however my motor also died so not sure which was causing the problem. Keep us updated on the peartune. 👍🏻

I agree on size, wasn’t much room for the speed box .

wheeledwidewebb

May 14, 2022
SE England

@DJ57UMP , I am trying to change the country on my Revolt E gravel so your comments are really interesting.

For what it is worth, I am in the SE but can I ask, how do you connect the shimano module in order to use a PC please?

I don't have an onboard computer so my only option is to use a blanked port on one of my levers. Is it possible to connect on to a Di2 socket?

Thank in advance.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles