Orbea Rise. Suitable crank spider and chainring??

Jan 10, 2022
Portsmouth
I personally replaced the eThirteen chainring on my Rise with Shimano Spider w/ 34T for Shimano 12-speed chain (SM-CRE80-12-B ) but it looks like the smallest chainring Shimano sells is a 34T (while the rise comes with 32T).

FSA also sells a spider for the EP8 with a 53mm chainline (W0154 - 380-0455000050 ) and it can be coupled with the RaceFace 32T Chainring for Shimano 12 speed ( 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12) if one wants to keep the chainring at 32T. Even though the Shimano spider is meant for a 104 BCD chainring, it's meant to be used with a Shimano chainring due to the profile of the the arms. If you were to use a RaceFace 32T Chainring (which is also 104 BCD) on a Shimano spider, you'll have a GAP and it won't look seamless (aesthetically) due to the inner tabs being a different profile than what's on the Shimano spiders. The FSA spider is more seamless looking when coupled with an aftermarket 104bcd chainring.

People already reported shearing their eThirteen direct mount chainrings in this forum (and it's a pain in the ass to remove the chain mount lock ring afterwards, one even had to get the motor replaced).

This means that you won't be able to use the eThirteen chain guide. If you want to run one, here's a pic of FUNN Chain guide for the Steps Motor on my bike (coupled with the Shimano Spider) - Rise H30. OneUp also sells a Chain Guide for the EP8 motor as well.

View attachment 90748

HI i found this one will this one fit ?

Jay Bird

Aug 22, 2022
Mill Valley, CA
Yes that is exactly what you need. It says CL 53mm on it and it will fit the motor.

Problem I encountered with replacing mine is that a lot of places advertise the spider as 53mm wherein fact it is 55mm. I know this because I have ordered a number of these from all over and ended up sending them all back because when I got it it stated right on the spider and packaging that it is 55mm. Side by side measurements confirmed this. Just FYI for everyone on that. Retailer websites are not always correct.

Funks

Oct 8, 2021
Dublin, CA
HI i found this one will this one fit ?

The part number I'm running on my bike is the W0154 (53mm chainline).

The W0145 is supposed to be for a 50mm chainline.
The W0154 ifor the 53mm chainline.

Not sure what the W0164 ones are for? Might be for 55 mm chain line which would be wrong.

Last edited:

Cpt_Ahab

Dec 15, 2023
AT
Hi guys,
why are you guys using the rather ugly FSA spider which is outside compared to the more stealthy Shimano (SM-CRE80-B) which is sitting on the inside?

Also plan on using a 30t chainring on the Orbea Rise and do not get it that there is no direct mount chainring!?
Ordered the RaceFace 30t 104 now.

THX guys!

tickle

Dec 8, 2023
Colorado
How's the 55mm Wolftooth chainring working for those that have installed one? I just bought one to replace my original ethirteen and didn't realize they were different(53vs55mm). Guess I'll ditch the chainguide and see how things go without it, is there another model folks recommend if I do want one?

Cpt_Ahab

Dec 15, 2023
AT
You can go without a chain guide or you can go with the original

Shimano STEPS CD-EM800​

which should work with 53 and 55mm.

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
How's the 55mm Wolftooth chainring working for those that have installed one? I just bought one to replace my original ethirteen and didn't realize they were different(53vs55mm). Guess I'll ditch the chainguide and see how things go without it, is there another model folks recommend if I do want one?

It works, so far no problems, but I have to admit the angle off 1st gear to chainring is pretty aggressive....I'm looking for a 53mm now

tickle

Dec 8, 2023
Colorado
Thx gonna try it on mine, I did a little research on the subject seems 55mm chain line is pretty common on new bikes these days with 148 boost so it works fine for folks. I bet prior to 1X drivetrains the 2X setups were worse in some gear combos, plus no backpedal to derail the chain in lower gears.

Last edited:

Weezerj

Jul 27, 2021
Washington State
Now with 52mm chainline. Way better angle of chain coming off cassette....

1000005060.jpg

esa@1410

Feb 18, 2023
Belgium
Dear,
I have a Orbea M10 2022 with e13 chainring CL 53 mm + Shimano STEPS FC-EM600 Crank Arm.
I would like to switch to a system with spider and chainring. For the spider, I prefer a Shimano.
Compatibility of the spider :
In the future I can change only the Chainring and will be sure to keep the CL in 53 mm because the spider don't need to be changed every time.
Compatibility of the chainring :
It should be compatible with number of speed (smaller teeth for 12 speed chainring).
I suppose, in the future, it will be easier to find only the chainring . Cheaper and because future spider system will be with CL55mm. Maybe I can also find 32T chainring which can be mounted on the Shimano spider.
Solution : I see this in 34T :
SHIMANO STEPS Chainring 12-speed | SHIMANO BIKE-EU
Chainring 34T for FC-E8000/FC-E8050/FC-M8050 (w/o CG)/SM-CRE80-12-B | SHIMANO BIKE-US
STEPS SM-CRE80 12-speed Chainring 53mm
STEPS SM-CRE80-12 Chainring without Spider
But this model is NOT compatible with my crank arm FC-EM600
Can you confirm the following so I can make my order ?

1) Should it be compatible with the FC-EM600 Crank Arm ? I don't see my model in the compatibility list for SM-CRE80-12-B.

2) Distance clearance with a 34 T chainring and the frame. Currently, there is only a few mm clearance between chainring and the rear triangle.
Orbea-M10-Chainring-Clearance.png

Blue paper reported as compatible. So, 34T should be fine.

Orbea-M10-Chainring-Clearance1.png

3) Is this spider also compatible with SM-CRE80-12-B ? It's not expensive and I want to have one more in stock.
STEPS SM-CRE80/SM-CRE80-B Spider for FC-E8000/8050

4) Which future chainring 32T can I mount on the shimano Spider and compatible with shimano chain ?

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...-1d57-492e-a394-cf513152596e.jpg?v=1695216329

I found RACE which is also 104BCD. It can be compatible with the Shimano spider. but no information about type of chain (SRAM/Shimano) ? 1x Chainring 104 BCD - SHI 12
or : 104 BCD Chainrings
Or from Shimano :
STEPS SM-CRE80-12 Chainring without Spider : 34T + BCD 104 : price +/- 50€
STEPS CR-EM800 Chainring without 4-arm Spider = 32T + BCD 96 : price +/- 20€

Why similar chainring at twice the price ?

I can chose the BCD 96 Spider but with CL55 : STEPS CR-EM800 Chainring
This model is compatible with my crank arm FC-EM600.

If I have an issue with CL55, maybe I can remove 2 mm.

Complex has it should be compatible with : CL55/53, crank arm, number of speed , and type of chain (SRAM/Shimano).

Thank a lot for your advice.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles